Myths Dispelled

Dr. Trooth

Myth #1) The Bills are close. Close to what? They're 4-12, ranked 24th on defense and offense. OK, I suppose you can say they're close. Closer to the number one pick in the draft than the playoffs.

Myth #2) The Bills are a RT away from a good Oline. Levitre and Wood are the only two bona fide NFL starters. Bell is a marginal starter at LT and Hangman is a journeyman center. Without a dominant LT, solid RT, and a guard to compliment Wood and Levitre, don't expect better than 8-8. That's as good as it gets. And, Wang can't get on the field with the schmucks they have now? What a waste of a perfectly good 5th round pick.

Myth #3) Steve Johnson is a legitimate #1. Hey' why so delirious? Lee Evans draws the double coverage, Johnson is the benefactor. When he starts drawing double/triple coverage and puts up numbers, come back and give me hell with guns a blazin.

Myth #4) George Edwards is an NFL caliber DC. Edwards is in way over his head. He's never been an NFL DC. His defense is one of the worst in Bills history. He's taken a collection of bad players and made them look worse than they really are.... if that's even possible. You can put 11 all pros out there and George will still figure a way to give up 200 on the ground. If Ralph insisted Wade fire Ronnie Jones, then Chan's phone must ringing by now.

Myth #5) Fitzpatrick will lead the Bills to the promised land. Only if the promised land is .500. Although Fitz has done an admirable job, and made the players around him better, he's only made an 0-16 team 4-12. He's just not in that Peyton, Eli, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Warner class. You wanna make it to the SB or even the playoffs? Unless you have a killer D that scores lots of points, that's what you need.... not a marginal 85 rating QB

Myth #6) Kyle Williams is the answer at NT. You think Kyle Williams really is the Bills answer at NT? Let me ask you this... Jeff Wright was the Bills undersized NT for 4 Bills SB teams. Now, picture Ted Washington playing NT rather than Wright. How many of those SBs do the Bills walk away without a ring? Although Williams might be the Bills best player... on offense or defense... 305 lb. nose tackles don't start for SB teams. Williams probably would be better served playing DE in the 3-4 and having a 345 lb. slob do the dirty work. This team gave up 200 yards on the ground 8 times this season. On second thought, maybe they need two fat slob nose tackles in the middle.

Myth #7) The Bills will get an impact player with the #3 pick. The only impact will be on Ralph's wallet (but that ain't a bad thing). Bills have picked 4, 8, 9 in the last decade. Any of them make an impact? In fact, Mike Williams got cut after three seasons and after this season, Whitner will be the 2nd one gone. Spiller looks more like the second coming of Ronnie Harmon. A #9 pick for a fumbling utility back that can't hold up as a starter over a full season? Prove me wrong CJ, I dare ya.

Myth #8) Bills Need a TE. Why? Do they even throw to them? When was the last time a Bills TE caught a 30 yard pass down the middle? I've got a better idea. How about bringing in an undersized tackle that can block? Hey, he doesn't have to catch passes, just help one of the Bills helpless tackles block their man.

Hey, just keepin it real and tellin it like it is. No bull feces and no sugar plum fairies.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Myth #1) The Bills are close. Close to what? They're 4-12, ranked 24th on defense and offense. OK, I suppose you can say they're close. Closer to the number one pick in the draft than the playoffs.

Myth #2) The Bills are a RT away from a good Oline. Levitre and Wood are the only two bona fide NFL starters. Bell is a marginal starter at LT and Hangman is a journeyman center. Without a dominant LT, solid RT, and a guard to compliment Wood and Levitre, don't expect better than 8-8. That's as good as it gets. And, Wang can't get on the field with the schmucks they have now? What a waste of a perfectly good 5th round pick.

Myth #3) Steve Johnson is a legitimate #1. Hey' why so delirious? Lee Evans draws the double coverage, Johnson is the benefactor. When he starts drawing double/triple coverage and puts up numbers, come back and give me hell with guns a blazin.

Myth #4) George Edwards is an NFL caliber DC. Edwards is in way over his head. He's never been an NFL DC. His defense is one of the worst in Bills history. He's taken a collection of bad players and made them look worse than they really are.... if that's even possible. You can put 11 all pros out there and George will still figure a way to give up 200 on the ground. If Ralph insisted Wade fire Ronnie Jones, then Chan's phone must ringing by now.

Myth #5) Fitzpatrick will lead the Bills to the promised land. Only if the promised land is .500. Although Fitz has done an admirable job, and made the players around him better, he's only made an 0-16 team 4-12. He's just not in that Peyton, Eli, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Warner class. You wanna make it to the SB or even the playoffs? Unless you have a killer D that scores lots of points, that's what you need.... not a marginal 85 rating QB

Myth #6) Kyle Williams is the answer at NT. You think Kyle Williams really is the Bills answer at NT? Let me ask you this... Jeff Wright was the Bills undersized NT for 4 Bills SB teams. Now, picture Ted Washington playing NT rather than Wright. How many of those SBs do the Bills walk away without a ring? Although Williams might be the Bills best player... on offense or defense... 305 lb. nose tackles don't start for SB teams. Williams probably would be better served playing DE in the 3-4 and having a 345 lb. slob do the dirty work. This team gave up 200 yards on the ground 8 times this season. On second thought, maybe they need two fat slob nose tackles in the middle.

Myth #7) The Bills will get an impact player with the #3 pick. The only impact will be on Ralph's wallet (but that ain't a bad thing). Bills have picked 4, 8, 9 in the last decade. Any of them make an impact? In fact, Mike Williams got cut after three seasons and after this season, Whitner will be the 2nd one gone. Spiller looks more like the second coming of Ronnie Harmon. A #9 pick for a fumbling utility back that can't hold up as a starter over a full season? Prove me wrong CJ, I dare ya.

Myth #8) Bills Need a TE. Why? Do they even throw to them? When was the last time a Bills TE caught a 30 yard pass down the middle? I've got a better idea. How about bringing in an undersized tackle that can block? Hey, he doesn't have to catch passes, just help one of the Bills helpless tackles block their man.

Hey, just keepin it real and tellin it like it is. No bull feces and no sugar plum fairies.

+ 1.

LOL. It's really pretty funny, but you are going to get blasted! I think you're correct on everything. I do like Kyle Williams though possibly as LDE. Give me two fat slob DTs and the D line is good.

+ 1.

LOL. It's really pretty funny, but you are going to get blasted! I think you're correct on everything. I do like Kyle Williams though possibly as LDE. Give me two fat slob DTs and the D line is good.

I agree with a lot of it but its hard to accept blanket statements as fact and reality when they're based on assumptions you fail to mention or comparisons you refuse to make.

So I'll pick a bone with two of these....

#3. Johnson had 5 catches today as the number 1, from Brian Brohm. That should be anough right there. He had 5 last week as the number 1. He had 6 the week before that as the number 1. He had 5 the week before that, which was the week Evans was injured in the second quarter and had no catches himself. So in what amounts to 3.5 games, he's has 21 catches. Over the entire season, that's be 84. That's #1 receiver numbers as the number 1. Evans, in his last 4 full games.... EIGHT, 8, OCHO catches as the number one with a legit number 2 taking some heat off him. Johnson had 20 catches on those 4 games.

#5. Look at the sample size you're dealing with. Fitz has about 32 starts to his career, the equivelant of 2 seasons. The only fair comparison you can make with him is not against guys with 5 or more years experience who had the ability to overcome poor early careers stats because they got more starts and weren't dumped. Take a loot at Drew Brees first 27 starts (over two sasons) and his QB rating (which is the stat you chose to slam) was about the same at Fitz's now. The argument against Fitz is that he was a backup and that he was a latre pick or FA or whatever he was. That makes him easy to cast aside. Look at Warner, another guy you mention. His lifetime QB rating is 92, not much better than the 85 Fitz has this season he was a on way better teams with way better talent and was an undrafted FA and noted shelf stocker before someone with some brains was willing overlook the archaic measurement metrics of the NFL and give him a shot. I think Fitz doesn't get enough credit for improving and doing well with what continues to be a porous OL and no TEs. Saying he won't lead the Bills to the promise land is a real tough one to make huh? Jim Kelly never did. So does that make Fitz worthy of the scrap heap?

Nothing worse than a lengthy and verbose post based on antiquated beliefs and not on reality.

What, no kool aid to take intravenously? I don't want anyone to prevent me from feeling happy and hopey!

Myth 7 is my favorite. I love the fact that they've got to pay a top pick and if you look at the third pick from '10, they're getting at least 35M guaranteed with QB's commanding more. Then again, the man collecting the information and doing the research has survived through 4 different GMs. Only in Buffalo could Teflon Tom Modrak keep his job.

Excellent thread Trooth.

Edited by BillsVet

this post reminds me of the stephen a smith "quite frankly" commercials from a couple years ago where he happened upon the realization that tom brady is a pretty good quarterback.

You really need to set some more realistic expectations.

No one is expecting a Super Bowl run in 2011.

Buddy Nix has said there will be more pain.

This team is 2 years away from a playoff run. That means 2012 season.

In August this was a worst case 1 win team best case 5 win team.

The needle points more towards best case than worst case.

I hope this rant made you feel better I have no clue why you would have expected better from the 2010 Bills. In 2011 you should expect worst case 4 win season best case 8 win season.

Edited by Why So Serious?

You really need to set some more realistic expectations.

No one is expecting a Super Bowl run in 2011.

Buddy Nix has said there will be more pain.

This team is 2 years away from a playoff run. That means 2012 season.

In August this was a worst case 1 win team best case 5 win team.

The needle points more towards best case than worst case.

I hope this rant made you feel better I have no clue why you would have expected better from the 2010 Bills. In 2011 you should expect worst case 4 win season best case 8 win season.

I didn't think they were a one win team after the preseason. I thought they could possibly win 10 games this year with a little luck. Good post Dr, Trooth.

I didn't think they were a one win team after the preseason. I thought they could possibly win 10 games this year with a little luck. Good post Dr, Trooth.

You really need a reality check.

The 2010 Bills wouldn't win 10 games if they traded Brady for Fitzpatrick straight up.

Get it straight now 2011 is best case an 8-8 season worst case a 4-12 season.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I agree with a lot of it but its hard to accept blanket statements as fact and reality when they're based on assumptions you fail to mention or comparisons you refuse to make.

So I'll pick a bone with two of these....

#3. Johnson had 5 catches today as the number 1, from Brian Brohm. That should be anough right there. He had 5 last week as the number 1. He had 6 the week before that as the number 1. He had 5 the week before that, which was the week Evans was injured in the second quarter and had no catches himself. So in what amounts to 3.5 games, he's has 21 catches. Over the entire season, that's be 84. That's #1 receiver numbers as the number 1. Evans, in his last 4 full games.... EIGHT, 8, OCHO catches as the number one with a legit number 2 taking some heat off him. Johnson had 20 catches on those 4 games.

#5. Look at the sample size you're dealing with. Fitz has about 32 starts to his career, the equivelant of 2 seasons. The only fair comparison you can make with him is not against guys with 5 or more years experience who had the ability to overcome poor early careers stats because they got more starts and weren't dumped. Take a loot at Drew Brees first 27 starts (over two sasons) and his QB rating (which is the stat you chose to slam) was about the same at Fitz's now. The argument against Fitz is that he was a backup and that he was a latre pick or FA or whatever he was. That makes him easy to cast aside. Look at Warner, another guy you mention. His lifetime QB rating is 92, not much better than the 85 Fitz has this season he was a on way better teams with way better talent and was an undrafted FA and noted shelf stocker before someone with some brains was willing overlook the archaic measurement metrics of the NFL and give him a shot. I think Fitz doesn't get enough credit for improving and doing well with what continues to be a porous OL and no TEs. Saying he won't lead the Bills to the promise land is a real tough one to make huh? Jim Kelly never did. So does that make Fitz worthy of the scrap heap?

Nothing worse than a lengthy and verbose post based on antiquated beliefs and not on reality.

Johnson may be getting a lot of looks, enough to make him a #1 WR, but top receivers don't drop game winning balls in OT, when the ball was delivered perfectly. When I think #1 WR, I think Jerry Rice. He was CLUTCH! Johnson is nowhere near clutch.

of course you're right...but yeah you're going to get hammered by all the homers...

and you forgot #9...Buddy Nix is god's gift to talent evaluation. i mean, I know it is "too early" to pass judgment on a draft class after 1 season, but the fact that at least 5 of these guys aren't standouts ALREADY, FOR THE BILLS, is a bad sign. I mean, our talent is so poor that we could elect a committee of 4-5 relatively knowledgeable TBD members to draft for the Bills and they wouldn't do any worse. Spiller is the best player, but he is another stupid luxury pick. After that, the only guy who surprised in any sort of positive way is Moats. When you look at how bad our talent was prior to draft day...that is PATHETIC!

we would have won 3 of 4 SB if Ted was in there. He was was the best NT of all time and should be in the Hall of Fame.