Defensive Coordinator

bills1960

I know this topic has been discussed several times on this board recently but why should we keep George Edwards? There's a lot of proven defensive minds that will probably be jobless in a few weeks and I can get into who they are but that's not what this is post is about. Under his watch the D has let up 387 total points, rank last in run defense and ranked 28th in sacks with 26. Now I don't want to be overly concerned with stats but if Edwards stays for next year it's just another reason why we are a lower class organization who cares more about saving money than winning.

I know this topic has been discussed several times on this board recently but why should we keep George Edwards? There's a lot of proven defensive minds that will probably be jobless in a few weeks and I can get into who they are but that's not what this is post is about. Under his watch the D has let up 387 total points, rank last in run defense and ranked 28th in sacks with 26. Now I don't want to be overly concerned with stats but if Edwards stays for next year it's just another reason why we are a lower class organization who cares more about saving money than winning.

Will any of those proven Defensive minds work for George Edwards salary or less?

There is no viable reason. The run D was just as bad at the end of the season as the

beginning, the worst in the league, not even close.

You can bet Chan and Buddy are/will be trying to come with one however.

The old "continuity" excuse come to mind?

The Bills actually had a decent run D last year, and Edwards managed to turn that into

the worst run D in the NFL.

:angry:

There is no viable reason. The run D was just as bad at the end of the season as the

The Bills actually had a decent run D last year, and Edwards managed to turn that into

I don't remember the run D being that decent in 2009...

You need to explain this one.

Nice try about the run D, get a clue buddy. Our d-line and lbs have been a joke for a while now. I don't care who our DC is next year or whatever alignment we use. I really don't. We need PLAYERS.

Cause our FO put him in lose-lose situation w/o the right personnel. He deserves a pass for a lot of the ills this unit had. I was actually impressed with some of the half-time adjustments he made later in the year. He's not elite, but give him a chance.

Nice try about the run D, get a clue buddy. Our d-line and lbs have been a joke for a while now. I don't care who our DC is next year or whatever alignment we use. I really don't. We need PLAYERS.

I agree with you about our utter lack of talent defensively. But today, the 16th game of our season, I saw more players out of place than I could believe. Saftey's in the wrong place, wrong alignments...I just can't help but feel coaching does play a role here. While we need players, I would feel better with a proven 3-4 DC running the show.

I am curious to see what Nix does here......I just dont get the sense that he would protect him like he would Gailey

Lets face it....our offense got better with Chan....

I have absolutely nothing to base this on other then gut feeling.....but I think we have a new D coordinator next year.

And Marcus Stroud is a goner....I am fairly certain of that.

I am curious to see what Nix does here......I just dont get the sense that he would protect him like he would Gailey

I have absolutely nothing to base this on other then gut feeling.....but I think we have a new D coordinator next year.

Is it OK to call Stroud out now? That guy is done.

As far as Edwards, I thought going to the 3-4 this past off-season would set the defense back considerably as the scraps from Jauron were all suited to a diametrically different system. They did manage to tweak things to adapt to the dearth of talent during the season, but while Edwards is no doubt an economically beneficial hire, he is also clearly overmatched. Still, I could see him getting fired or getting a promotion from this front office.

:huh:

:huh::huh:

You need to explain this one.

Sorry, I stand corrected. For some reason I thought they were like 15th against the run

They were not.

Apologies.

Bills D re: scoring went from # 16 in 2009 to # 27 in 2010.

:oops:

Yeah but it's not really Nix's call. He can suggest to Chan that maybe we need a better DC. But unless Chan agrees and wishes to dump him it won't happen. The only option Nix would have would be to then fire Chan over the issue. Kind of what RW did to Wade when he claimed Wade wouldn't fire the ST coach when RW asked him to. So RW then tried to claim Wade quit, so he didn't have to pay him. That worked well!!

The defense had no players so are you going to bame that on Edwards? People also like to talk about how players won't want to come to Buffalo. Well firing the DC after one year while fielding a terrible team won't do much to help attract coaches either. I agree with many other posters, he likely will get a pass, unless it'sreally felt he was over his head and Cahn wants to make a change. Will be interesting to see what happens, but based on what as fans we see, he does NOT deserve to be fired. If he is fired it's likely for what goes on behind the scenes.

I totally agree, I just don't have any faith in this current regime, and I can't believe that "Chum" Gailey and Edwards was the best this incompetent organization could do at filling a coaching vacancy. It's become so depressing being a Bills fan. This organization is in such disarray how on earth do we expect to compete with 1st class franchises (i.e. NE,).

Sorry, I stand corrected. For some reason I thought they were like 15th against the run

They were not.

Apologies.

Bills D re: scoring went from # 16 in 2009 to # 27 in 2010.

:oops:

No big deal. Honest mistake.

Mommy not get you that shiny new toy for Xmas? Sorry, kid.

Yeah but it's not really Nix's call. He can suggest to Chan that maybe we need a better DC. But unless Chan agrees and wishes to dump him it won't happen. The only option Nix would have would be to then fire Chan over the issue. Kind of what RW did to Wade when he claimed Wade wouldn't fire the ST coach when RW asked him to. So RW then tried to claim Wade quit, so he didn't have to pay him. That worked well!!

The defense had no players so are you going to bame that on Edwards? People also like to talk about how players won't want to come to Buffalo. Well firing the DC after one year while fielding a terrible team won't do much to help attract coaches either. I agree with many other posters, he likely will get a pass, unless it'sreally felt he was over his head and Cahn wants to make a change. Will be interesting to see what happens, but based on what as fans we see, he does NOT deserve to be fired. If he is fired it's likely for what goes on behind the scenes.

this is actually one of the more intriguing questions going into the offseason. will chan hang on to wilson who has proven to be (depending on how you view it) either 1) completely out of his league or 2) unable to effectively coach up buffalo's dismal talent?

given coach chan's history, he's got to know the clock is ticking. he's not going to have a helluva lot more chances in the pros after this, and the bills d isn't going to magically change overnight.

he's gotta find someone who can make chicken salad out of chicken sh!#.

Edited by Dirtbag