Some Astoundingly Bad Statistics

Erik

With one division game left to play this year we have given up 887 yards rushing and picked up 494 yards of rushing ourselves. Sadly this is likely an improvement over last season when we let up 1,156 yards vrs. divison opponents (I suppose it's not out of the realm of possiblity to give up over 269 yards on Sunday to the Jets) against 633 yards gained on the ground. The worst part is that the Jets have racked up 840 yards rushing against us in the last three games and will likely breeze to a 1,000 4-game stretch against us Sunday when they should easily get over 160 yards.

Anyone still not convinved Front 7 is the way to go, early and often, at the top of the draft?

RB???? Really you think we need to draft another RB again? Why on earth do we need to do that?

I was mostly being tongue in cheek by mentioning every position I could think of. :lol:

CJ looks to be a wasted pick. We need another guy to take over for Freddie, we should start transitioning soon... but that's still a year or two away.

With one division game left to play this year we have given up 887 yards rushing and picked up 494 yards of rushing ourselves. Sadly this is likely an improvement over last season when we let up 1,156 yards vrs. divison opponents (I suppose it's not out of the realm of possiblity to give up over 269 yards on Sunday to the Jets) against 633 yards gained on the ground. The worst part is that the Jets have racked up 840 yards rushing against us in the last three games and will likely breeze to a 1,000 4-game stretch against us Sunday when they should easily get over 160 yards.

Anyone still not convinved Front 7 is the way to go, early and often, at the top of the draft?

No. Our run defense is horrid. I would also add, as I've felt all season, that they need to bring in a new DC as well. George Edwards is in way over his head. Yes, we need more talent on D. But, let's look at it another way - the offensive players changed very little; yet we added an offensive minded coach (Gailey - who really knows what Modkins does). The results was an improved offense in 2010. On defense, they added a few role players with only one real subtraction (Schobel); in comes Edwards and the defense is much, much worse.

So, it's not all just on the players. The coaching staff should and does share plenty of the blame for the horrendous year this defense has put together.

I'd love to see them bring in a real OC too. But, that would be asking for entirely too much; I know.

There's nothing wrong with the run defense that can't be solved by cutting Donte Whitner.

No. Our run defense is horrid. I would also add, as I've felt all season, that they need to bring in a new DC as well. George Edwards is in way over his head. Yes, we need more talent on D. But, let's look at it another way - the offensive players changed very little; yet we added an offensive minded coach (Gailey - who really knows what Modkins does). The results was an improved offense in 2010. On defense, they added a few role players with only one real subtraction (Schobel); in comes Edwards and the defense is much, much worse. So, it's not all just on the players. The coaching staff should and does share plenty of the blame for the horrendous year this defense has put together.

I'd love to see them bring in a real OC too. But, that would be asking for entirely too much; I know.

Actually, our O being “that much better” than our D is kind of an illusion. In terms of yardage gained/allowed, our O and D both rank 24th in the league in yards gained/allowed per game. I am not sure about points, which to me is the real determining factor, but there is something to say about that.

Our OL is just as bad as our DL, and our DL has the advantage of having two rookies waiting in the wings. Our RB position is fairly weak at the moment if you figure FJ is on the wrong side of 30 and Spiller has looked like poop this season. We have nothing at TE.

We cannot go wrong with OL/DL/LB/QB/TE in this draft as long as they are good. This years 1st rounder is defacto DL or LB bc there is no OL/TE talent in this draft remotely close to being worth the top 8 pick we will have, Luck is out of the question without a major trade up, and that’s assuming he declares.

This draft is abound with top DL and LB talent however and we *should* be able to land a 2-3 players at those positions in the first 3 rounds who contribute

*too bad our scouts suck and wont draft good players.

Be it an OL, DL, RB... or whatever. No matter who the Bills select with their first pick, he has a an 80% chance of being either a bust or a marginal contributor.

One of the problems (besides Ralph) is there are no expectations or accountability of a Bills 1st pick. Aside from Lynch, the last 4 1st picks have not won starting jobs. McKelvin is only a starter when McGee is hurt. Spiller might not be the starter if Fred got hurt, and maybin wouldn't be a starter unless he's the only LB that dresses... and then that might be debateable.

If I'm a GM, owner, or HC, I draft a player at #1 because he's worthy of that selection and he can be plugged in as a starter from day one. If there is not a player that I believe is not worhty of being selected where they are slotted, I trade out of that slot and get extra picks and will get value leter in the first rounds and the remaining rounds.

The Bills are bad at scouting, bad at selecting, and bad at holding a selection's feet to the fire. That's why they are just plain bad.

The owner doesn't give a schitt about wins and losses because The TV contract has already made him profitable... anything else is gravy. So, if the owner is ambivelent about W's and L's, why should anyone that works for his ass give a schitt? That about sums things up.

No. Our run defense is horrid. I would also add, as I've felt all season, that they need to bring in a new DC as well. George Edwards is in way over his head. Yes, we need more talent on D. But, let's look at it another way - the offensive players changed very little; yet we added an offensive minded coach (Gailey - who really knows what Modkins does). The results was an improved offense in 2010. On defense, they added a few role players with only one real subtraction (Schobel); in comes Edwards and the defense is much, much worse.

So, it's not all just on the players. The coaching staff should and does share plenty of the blame for the horrendous year this defense has put together.

You had me until this. I'd rather have Gailey running the offense and calling the plays. Have you noticed when we decide to go for it on 4th down there is no confusion, discussions or timeouts to "talk about it"? I think with Gailey in charge and calling the plays is much smoother. No questions who is making the decisions and call. I like it better this way.

Bills Defense ranking: The defense was clearly much worse this year, with essentially the same players

and having much fewer injured players and a very high round 2 and round 3 picks.

Total

Yards

2009 2010

===================

19th 24th

Total

2009 2010

===================

16th 27th

I was mostly being tongue in cheek by mentioning every position I could think of. :lol:

CJ looks to be a wasted pick. We need another guy to take over for Freddie, we should start transitioning soon... but that's still a year or two away.

We had him but was traded to Seattle for a 4th rounder.

You had me until this. I'd rather have Gailey running the offense and calling the plays. Have you noticed when we decide to go for it on 4th down there is no confusion, discussions or timeouts to "talk about it"? I think with Gailey in charge and calling the plays is much smoother. No questions who is making the decisions and call. I like it better this way.

While, I can very much agree with you. My concern is that it's extremely rare that you see a successful team that has the HC serve as the OC, too. Maybe Gailey keeps the play calling duties; but I contend we need a better OC than Modkins. Maybe I'm wrong and he's a genius behind the scenes; but that would be a surprise to just about everyone here - I think.

Also, Gailey needs someone to challenge him more with his play calling. Not necessarily during the game. But, someone needs to ask him why he's chosen to abandon the run so quickly all season. Unless you have a top 5 QB, you can't be successful being as unbalanced as the Bills have been in many of their games. Furthermore, he's not just passing; he's going with all wide, no RB sets. So, the defense can completely forget about playing the run. Why not at least run play action? It's confounded me all season.

Actually, our O being "that much better" than our D is kind of an illusion. In terms of yardage gained/allowed, our O and D both rank 24th in the league in yards gained/allowed per game. I am not sure about points, which to me is the real determining factor, but there is something to say about that.

Our OL is just as bad as our DL, and our DL has the advantage of having two rookies waiting in the wings. Our RB position is fairly weak at the moment if you figure FJ is on the wrong side of 30 and Spiller has looked like poop this season. We have nothing at TE.

While I can agree that we certainly need more on the Oline; I'd say the DL is in far worse shape. So, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted a RT either. I don't think our RB's are nearly as bad as we think they are; I just think they're under utilized. In Sunday's' game, Fred had 5 rushes on the first drive and just 8 runs the entire rest of the game. IMO, that's not so much they Pats* shutting down the run game as it is Gailey shutting it down.

In 2009, the Bills scored 25 touchdowns (28 FGs); at this point, we've scored 33 TDs (16FGs). So, we're getting more TDs but fewer FGs than in 2009. So, I'd call that an improvement. Now, I'm not saying our offense is great or set; I'm just saying it's better. Which is partly while I say we need a better OC, in addition to my comments above.

Bills Defense ranking: The defense was clearly much worse this year, with essentially the same players

and having much fewer injured players and a very high round 2 and round 3 picks.

I think because Perry was Better DC and but us in better positions to win.

Total

Yards

2009 2010

===================

19th 24th

Total

2009 2010

===================

16th 27th

While, I can very much agree with you. My concern is that it's extremely rare that you see a successful team that has the HC serve as the OC, too. Maybe Gailey keeps the play calling duties; but I contend we need a better OC than Modkins. Maybe I'm wrong and he's a genius behind the scenes; but that would be a surprise to just about everyone here - I think.

Also, Gailey needs someone to challenge him more with his play calling. Not necessarily during the game. But, someone needs to ask him why he's chosen to abandon the run so quickly all season. Unless you have a top 5 QB, you can't be successful being as unbalanced as the Bills have been in many of their games. Furthermore, he's not just passing; he's going with all wide, no RB sets. So, the defense can completely forget about playing the run. Why not at least run play action? It's confounded me all season.

While I can agree that we certainly need more on the Oline; I'd say the DL is in far worse shape. So, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted a RT either. I don't think our RB's are nearly as bad as we think they are; I just think they're under utilized. In Sunday's' game, Fred had 5 rushes on the first drive and just 8 runs the entire rest of the game. IMO, that's not so much they Pats* shutting down the run game as it is Gailey shutting it down.

In 2009, the Bills scored 25 touchdowns (28 FGs); at this point, we've scored 33 TDs (16FGs). So, we're getting more TDs but fewer FGs than in 2009. So, I'd call that an improvement. Now, I'm not saying our offense is great or set; I'm just saying it's better. Which is partly while I say we need a better OC, in addition to my comments above.

This has bothered me for many years. Unless you are 3rd and long a RB should be in the backfield.

This was a historically, mind-numbingly bad defense this year. We've become so accustomed to bad defense it almost doesn't sink in, but it was so incredibly awful it's hard to imagine them not using every single draft pick next year on defense. Not that that will necessarily fix anything...

This has bothered me for many years. Unless you are 3rd and long a RB should be in the backfield.

Exactly... a good play action can be an average QB and a below average OLine's best friend. But, we almost never use it. Why? The Pats* would have bitten all day on that on the first drive when we had 1 and goal. Play action to Fred and hit the TE after he releases from his block... so many teams do that and make it look easy. I'm not sure we even have that play in the book.

Why just look at the division? As of this past Sunday, the Bills are ranked 32nd(dead last)against the run. They're giving up an average 162.5 yds per game, nearly 100 yds. per game more than the leader in that category, Pittsburgh. Face it, the linebackers absolutely suck, especially Poz!

Why just look at the division? As of this past Sunday, the Bills are ranked 32nd(dead last)against the run. They're giving up an average 162.5 yds per game, nearly 100 yds. per game more than the leader in that category, Pittsburgh. Face it, the linebackers absolutely suck, especially Poz!

I hope that you wasn't surprised ......with players like POZ & Kelsay you shouldn't be.