Who here would be against

Thoner7

This game means nothing and the jets are gonna play their JVs anyways. The priority should not be winning (obviously still a goal for the team) but rather used as a tool for this team im improve moving forward. This game should be viewed as a preseason game by the FO. (remember their may only be 2 next year with an 18 game schedule). Find out what we have on the roster and determine who should be invited back for next season.

Start Brohm. Is he worth keeping around? Could he be a franchise guy? – We will never know if he never plays.

Spiller – get him 20+ carries. Can he hold up with 20 carries? Will he improve throughout the game? Could that # of touches mean he breaks a long one?

D. Nelson – could he work his way into the starting lineup? Can he be a #1? What could he do in that role?

S. Nelson – is he worth keeping around? Can he run block/catch a pass? He has been MIA all year – what can we get out of him?

Wang – start him somewhere on the line. With so many scrubs playing over him – he must stink, or at least the coaches think so. Well, time to find out in live action

Howard – Start him at G. He stunk at RT but maybe he has a home at G. With Urbik and Rienhart both looking good but not true starters, Howard or Wang will likely be gone next year. We better find out who is better.

Maybin – play him at DE, OLB, ILB, somewhere, anywhere. This is his final audition. If he hasn’t figured it out yet he likely won’t. Why keep him around – make him earn his spot on the team.

McCargo – he stinks, let him play and prove it to you one more time. He has remain on the team – inexplicably - for so long, something has to be holding the FO back. Maybe one more crappy game by this bust will finally get him cut.

Carrington – Has looked good out there in very limited action, I want him out there every single defensive snap. Give the coaches some film for him to study and improve.

Troup – See Carrington, except he has played more but not as good. He needs snaps – all of them.

Moats – Has been very very good – he can continue to grow.

Corner/Youboty – these young depth guys don’t play much but they should start this week. We may lose Florence and McGee is up there in age. Could either of these guys start? Could one un-seat the under-whelming McKelvin? Lets find out for once.

GW – play him over Whitner. Whitner stinks anyways, lets see just how much better we could be without him.

Im sure there are others but that is what this team should do if they are serious about rebuilding this train wreck of a roster.

I'm with you.

Especially with you on Spiller. Can he bounce back from a bad game? Don't worry about trying to get Jackson 1000, he won't get it anyways. Not like it would cost him the record for consecutive 1000 yard seasons anyways. Let's see Spiller with the full workload..........

Start Brohm. - I can get behind this one but this one game isn't going to answer your questions. Keep in mind that if we're trying out people on the o-line for this game then it has an effect on Brohm here as well.

Spiller - Same with Brohm....if we're experimenting with the line then it may not be an accurate reflection of his ability. However I will say that Spiller has not lived up to his draft position.

D. Nelson – Prob too injured to play.

S. Nelson – Done for the season. Not eligible.

Wang – Interested as to why he isn't getting more reps and eager to see him.

Howard – Sure....put him and Rinehart in there at LG and RG.

Maybin – He'd have to pull off a miracle game.

McCargo – One foot out the door already.

Carrington – Yup...needs reps.

Troup – Yup...needs reps.

Moats – Will prob play a lot anyway.

Corner/Youboty – Sure...although you risk pissing off Florence who I'd like to have back.

GW – Okay with this, but I don't think he's the ideal long term answer. I want the Bills to explore other avenues this off-season.

I think if Gailey really wanted to see what Brohm had, he would have started him a few weeks ago. The Bills were done after the 0-8 start and we had become accustomed to what Fitz was giving us by the time they got to Minnesota, so maybe then or the Cleveland game would have been a good time to start him.

Not that I don't mind Brohm getting a start, but 1 meaningless game for both teams isn't going to tell us much.

It pains me to say/think it, but with Fitz's streak now over (I was really hoping he'd punch one in on that last drive. The one that never happened thanks to CJ's muffed punt :wallbash:), and with three of his best receivers sidelined in Evans, Parrish, and Nelson, I can entertain the logic of resting him like you'd rest a playoff bound QB with nothing left to play for this year.

I doubt Gailey sees it that way, though.

Start Brohm. - What does this say to Fitz after all that he has done this season.

Spiller – Can't disagree here. Need to see how he bounces back from an egg.

D. Nelson – Can't disagree again. Injury will probably keep him out/

S. Nelson – No opinion.

Wang – Yes.

Howard – Will need someone to fill out the line this week.

Maybin – Sorry, bench material.

McCargo – See Maybin.

Carrington – Will be in the DL rotation.

Troup – See Carrington.

Moats – Yep.

Corner/Youboty – Stay with what got you there.

GW – See above.

In Gailey's Monday presser he said that Fitz was a little more banged up than usual, and that if he's not ready to go Wednesday, they'll get the other two guys ready (indicating to me at least that there's no clear #2).

But if Fitz is healthy, he's going to play. Plain and simple.

I think to do as suggested risks undoing a lot of good that Chan Gailey has done this year.

This team is seriously lacking in talent, yet has been surprisingly competitive in most

games. I believe that this is due to one big thing that Gailey has done:

He has played veterans ahead of rookies until the rookies are better RIGHT NOW than

the vets. This has kept the vets engaged knowing that they'll play as long as they

are the best option and teaches the rookies that they must EARN their playing tim - a

valuable lesson that they would have to learn sooner or later anyway.

I think the above also does some other important things such as:

1. teaching that the expectation is to win NOW, not suffer through growing pains

where possible.

2. shows the team who is in charge (Gailey).

With regard to the young players mentioned:

* I wonder how many fumbles Spiller would have if he had 20 carries. Only being

partially sarcastic there, but he hasn't earned the touches and it would undermine

what I described above.

* I don't think Troup has played that poorly and he is getting a fair number of

snaps. Playing more snaps this week won't help him as much as a full offseason

of weight training and more coaching on the nuances of leverage and cheating in

the NFL trenches.

* I think Carrington has earned his playing time and also had it defaulted to him

by injuries.

* Wang was injured for a long time early this year and may still lack the conditioning

from that time. At least, we should hope that is the case. It DOES typically take

OL longer to "get it" than most other positions, so there is still hope.

* Too bad David Nelson and Shawn Nelson are too injured to play. David surely earned

more playing time and I don't know about Shawn. I was disappointed that he missed

a lot of time this year to injury and suspension - he never really recovered from

that (and his fumble late against (?).

* Regarding Brohm, I don't think that you can consider sitting Fitzpatrick after that

disasterous game unles you have ZERO thought of him being your starter next year. If

there is any doubt at all that they will take a QB at #1, then Fitz HAS to start this

game to try to rebuild some confidence (for him and his teammates).

* Maybin and McCargo aren't even worth discussing other than hoping that the scouts

who advocated drafting them are riding out of town on the same bus as them.

I don't think playing this game like the 3rd PreSeason game does any harm.

Put your starters out there to begin, then rotate in your prospects.

The Jets have nothing to play for either.

Edited by Why So Serious?

This game means nothing and the jets are gonna play their JVs anyways. The priority should not be winning (obviously still a goal for the team) but rather used as a tool for this team im improve moving forward. This game should be viewed as a preseason game by the FO. (remember their may only be 2 next year with an 18 game schedule). Find out what we have on the roster and determine who should be invited back for next season.

Start Brohm. Is he worth keeping around? Could he be a franchise guy? – We will never know if he never plays.

I agree with most of your points, but I can't see the coaches benching Fitzpatrick for the last game. If he was a well established franchise QB then it would be acceptable. But he has been a back up for most of his career and having been given his chance to lead the team, he has made the most of it. He crtainly has played better than many (including me) expected.

One of the things that I wonder about is why McGee played on special teams if he is not fit to start?

Spiller – get him 20+ carries. Can he hold up with 20 carries? Will he improve throughout the game? Could that #

GW – play him over Whitner. Whitner stinks anyways, lets see just how much better we could be without him.

Im sure there are others but that is what this team should do if they are serious about rebuilding this train wreck of a roster.

dont like the brohm idea.

spiller should get ALL the touches. f him. let him show us what he can do.

gw. like your idea. the bad part is they will play whit because he may finally have a good game to justify his big signing. i hate that. suck badly and have 1 good (not excellent), then get paid handsomely. its not fair. and it doesnt work like that in the real world.

A big problem, as PTR alluded to above, is that its hard to evaluate borderline guys when they dont play with the starters. If you start Carrington next to Kyle Williams, you learn something. If you start him next to Troup . . . not so much.

Same with the linebackers. With a front 3 of McCargo, Troup, and Carrington, all you learn about backup linebackers is how they react when their D-linemen get shoved back into their faces.

I'd say mix the backups in for substantial time. But no more then 2 of them on the field at any given time.

It pains me to say/think it, but with Fitz's streak now over (I was really hoping he'd punch one in on that last drive. The one that never happened thanks to CJ's muffed punt :wallbash:), and with three of his best receivers sidelined in Evans, Parrish, and Nelson, I can entertain the logic of resting him like you'd rest a playoff bound QB with nothing left to play for this year.

I doubt Gailey sees it that way, though.

Just me guessing, I think Gailey would view it as important to see how Fitz comes out after a bad game.

BTW anyone else notice Drew Brees was playing "run for your life" all freakin' night and threw two picks? One was a tipped ball that he threw with a DL right in his face (bad decision), the other was a blind toss trying to throw the ball away (or maybe a blown route expecting his checkdown to be there?), flew right into the Falcons arms?

Porous OL + Heavy QB Pressure = less accurate QB + more picks

Who woulda thunk?