Do you have to stop when leaving Walmart when they ask to look in your

boyst

It's called false imprisonment and it costs stores a lot of money.

I will start out saying that Walmart has the best loss prevention of any store I have ever seen. If a stolen credit card is used at their store, all they have to do is put the credit card number into their computer, and it will pull up the video of the register and the person that used it. They have people in plain clothes walking the store looking for shoplifters, and somebody in their back room actively looking over the cameras. Then you have the door checkers at the door.

In my state, a larceny is something you can make a citizens arrest for. I don't know of a judge out there that would sign a kidnapping (false imprisonment as you call it) warrant that starts off with, the front door sensors went off and the subject refused to stop for loss prevention personal on request.

If you refuse to stop, they will call the police and follow you to your car. Upon police arrival, you will most likely be tresspassed off the property for life. On top of that you will be detained by police while the store video is reviewed.

So yeah, don't stop and make a small issue into something big.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking someone to show their receipt is 'false imprisonment'? :blink:

Stopping someone from leaving when they refuse to show you their receipt is false imprisonment. There are dozens of cases where juries have awarded 5 or 6 figure sums to those held by department stores for suspected shoplifting.

I will start out saying that Walmart has the best loss prevention of any store I have ever seen. If a stolen credit card is used at their store, all they have to do is put the credit card number into their computer, and it will pull up the video of the register and the person that used it. They have people in plain clothes walking the store looking for shoplifters, and somebody in their back room actively looking over the cameras. Then you have the door checkers at the door.

In my state, a larceny is something you can make a citizens arrest for. I don't know of a judge out there that would sign a kidnapping (false imprisonment as you call it) warrant that starts off with, the front door sensors went off and the subject refused to stop for loss prevention personal on request.

If you refuse to stop, they will call the police and follow you to your car. Upon police arrival, you will most likely be tresspassed off the property for life. On top of that you will be detained by police while the store video is reviewed.

So yeah, don't stop and make a small issue into something big.

What are you talking about? Half your post doesn't even make sense. Sign a warrant for kidnapping? Huh? False imprisonment is rarely a criminal matter. "Tresspassed" off the property for life?

I think it's clear you have no understanding of the situation.

Wal-mart routinely pays out huge settlements for people detained for suspected shoplifting. If they follow you to your car, guess what? They can't do **** to stop you. If they won't let you leave you have an iron-clad false imprisonment/harassment case.

The fact is that they can only legally detain you if someone witnesses you stealing. If they stop you and you didn't steal? Well, it might be time to think about buying a bigger home.

Stopping someone from leaving when they refuse to show you their receipt is false imprisonment. There are dozens of cases where juries have awarded 5 or 6 figure sums to those held by department stores for suspected shoplifting.

Ridiculous apples to oranges comparison. There is no 'suspected shoplifting' at the Wal-Mart exit door and they are not holding you. The lawsuits you refer to have happened when people where held in some back office for hours without being charged or allowed to make phone calls.

Frankly, only a complete douchebag would think it worthwhile to hassle some minimum-wage lady working at the exit door instead of spending five seconds handing her the receipt that the cashier gave you a moment earlier.

Frankly, only a complete douchebag would think it worthwhile to hassle some minimum-wage lady working at the exit door instead of spending five seconds handing her the receipt that the cashier gave you a moment earlier.

Amen to that. Just keep the damn receipt in your hand the second the cashier hands it to you. You end up being delayed by about 5 seconds at the door. Guess what, you would wind up spending those same 5 seconds waiting to turn out of the parking lot anyway.

So you feel that a company does not have the right to create their own proceedures that need to be followed when shopping there?

So you feel that a company does not have the right to create their own proceedures that need to be followed when shopping there?

This has nothing to do with what I think. It's the law. They can create whatever procedures that they like, but physically stopping someone from leaving your store is both illegal and a tort.

Shopkeepers can only stop you if they witness you stealing.

Ridiculous apples to oranges comparison. There is no 'suspected shoplifting' at the Wal-Mart exit door and they are not holding you. The lawsuits you refer to have happened when people where held in some back office for hours without being charged or allowed to make phone calls.

Only a complete douchebag would stand there and argue that they have the right to not show their receipt (which is true). Me? I just say "no thanks" and keep on walking.

The only person making a big deal about it is the employee, and why should I care?

Why should you care? Be glad they're keeping shoplifting to a minimum. The cost that a business incurs from shoplifting gets passed on to you at higher prices.

No it doesn't. A store like Wal-mart or Best Buy can't significantly raise their prices without being undercut by internet merchants.

Besides, I seriously doubt they are catching many shoplifters by checking paying customer's bags.

It's not a huge hassle, but I don't agree with the practice, so I'm not going to comply. Simple as that.

I wonder if any place has created a system yet where any purchased goods are immediately brought to the door either by an employee or some sort of machine. You can't claim your goods until you show your receipt. That would essentially end this issue. It's probably not practical from a money point of view and of course someone would complain about something, so obviously it will never happen.

No it doesn't. A store like Wal-mart or Best Buy can't significantly raise their prices without being undercut by internet merchants.

Besides, I seriously doubt they are catching many shoplifters by checking paying customer's bags.

It's not a huge hassle, but I don't agree with the practice, so I'm not going to comply. Simple as that.

It's not catching the shoplifters, it's deterring them.

There are a lot of things I don't agree with that are not a huge hassle but I comply because...well because it's not a huge hassle.

I wonder if any place has created a system yet where any purchased goods are immediately brought to the door either by an employee or some sort of machine. You can't claim your goods until you show your receipt. That would essentially end this issue. It's probably not practical from a money point of view and of course someone would complain about something, so obviously it will never happen.

That system is in place. It's called online shopping. That's where I/we do most of our shopping. Seeing I don't set foot into Walmart I can't remember the last time I had to show a reciept before leaving a store.

What are you talking about? Half your post doesn't even make sense. Sign a warrant for kidnapping? Huh? False imprisonment is rarely a criminal matter. "Tresspassed" off the property for life?

I think it's clear you have no understanding of the situation.

Wal-mart routinely pays out huge settlements for people detained for suspected shoplifting. If they follow you to your car, guess what? They can't do **** to stop you. If they won't let you leave you have an iron-clad false imprisonment/harassment case.

The fact is that they can only legally detain you if someone witnesses you stealing. If they stop you and you didn't steal? Well, it might be time to think about buying a bigger home.

Question: Can someone detain you for shoplifting? Answer: Yes, my state gives citizens arrest powers in regards to a larceny. So no, it's not a violation of your 4th amendment rights.

In regards to Walmart, in which I have personally prosecuted hundreds of shoplifting cases over the years. They will approach you at the door, identify themselves as Wal-Mart personal, and ask to speak with you. If you tell them to pound sand and walk away, they won't jump on top of you and restrain you. They will however call the police and follow you to your vehicle. Upon police arrival you will be detained while the incident is investigated. In my experience with the Walmart stores in my area, they will usually tresspass you from the store for life. Loss prevention personal will also fax your photo to other stores in the area. So even if you didn't shoplift, you still caused an unnecessary scene and tied up police and store personal on a non issue.

Question: Can someone detain you for shoplifting? Answer: Yes, my state gives citizens arrest powers in regards to a larceny. So no, it's not a violation of your 4th amendment rights.

The correct answer to your question should be: "In my state, yes. My state gives citizens arrest powers in regards to a larceny. So no, it's not a violation of your 4th amendment rights."

Some states have already passed laws prohibiting stores from stopping people and checking receipts at the door.

In regards to Walmart, in which I have personally prosecuted hundreds of shoplifting cases over the years. They will approach you at the door, identify themselves as Wal-Mart personal, and ask to speak with you.

This is already starting off to sound like a different scenario than the OP and others are talking about.

If you tell them to pound sand and walk away, they won't jump on top of you and restrain you. They will however call the police and follow you to your vehicle. Upon police arrival you will be detained while the incident is investigated. In my experience with the Walmart stores in my area, they will usually tresspass you from the store for life. Loss prevention personal will also fax your photo to other stores in the area.

The situation the OP is talking about is the person standing next to the exit wearing a WalMart smock checking the receipts and bags of everybody that is leaving the store.

What you are describing sounds more plains clothes ("undercover").

So even if you didn't shoplift, you still caused an unnecessary scene and tied up police and store personal on a non issue.

Disagree. The customer did nothing wrong, except mind his own business. The store personnel caused the unnecessary scene.

Interesting you say that. Remember catalog stores like Brand Names and Montgomery Ward?

Since I am OP I turn this in to this, my true frustration. I check out. I have everything in a bag, or just carrying a xyz - one item. They sometimes are looking right at you as you check out. Why must I stop just to let them look at my receipt when all they do is glance at it and mark it with a marker!?

There have been many times where I simply just hand my receipt and keep walking. What happens then? I clearly have a receipt. I bought everything with a credit card - so there is a record, as well.

What happens if I just ignore them?! If I just say "no?" "I'm in a hurry, sorry?" "Not today?"

An unneccessary scene? By asking to see the reciept? Man there are some real sensitive people here.

At what point does it become neccessary for a merchanidiser to create a scene and to remain unseen?