Mallett #1 pick

Check out the numbers on our beloved Jimbo http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm and notice the completion percentages over the years with the OL and offensive weapons he had around him. Only 4 of the 11 seasons in Buffalo did his completion percentage get above 60% and he is in the HOF. ;) I say we address other obvious needs this draft and give Fitz atleast one more year at the helm.

Not really a great comparison now is it. In todays NFL there are currently 23 QBs over 60%. In 1990 for example Kelly completed 63.3 % of his passes good enough for 2nd in the league.

THe eras are different and the raw numbers cant be compared. Kelly was one of the best of his time, his numbers are some of the best of his time. The bills were routinely near the top of the league in that dept.

Fitz plays in a different league now where completion %s are much higher, thing is, his isnt. He really a mediocre QB who is only a band aid until we have something better and more consistent.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very simple people. If we have a shot at A. Luck, you take him. If you've seen this kid play at all this year you know already that he is going to be special. R. Mallet may not be worth taking in the top 5 but is worthy of a #1 pick. If Luck is out of the equation then we need the best LB, OT, or DL available.

This is very simple people. If we have a shot at A. Luck, you take him. If you've seen this kid play at all this year you know already that he is going to be special. R. Mallet may not be worth taking in the top 5 but is worthy of a #1 pick. If Luck is out of the equation then we need the best LB, OT, or DL available.

The only team that has a shot at Luck next season is the team he plays for now. Ryan Mallett may also choose to stay in school. I believe the Bills will beat New Jersey next week, and take Wisconsin LT Gabe Carimi with their first pick. Brohm and Fitz should compete for the starting QB position next season.

One thing that needs to stop though: whether you like Mallet or not stop with the I'd rather have the Bills wait and grab him in the 2nd crap. When a QB has an arm like Mallet, even if he's only played barely decent, someone will spend a high pick on him. IMO he's played pretty darn good, but no, not great. You sit him a year and get this team a TE and RT in free agency. Then in 2012 let's the chips fall where they may.........

If you are in the group who want to draft a QB with the first round pick get used to this last game and this season. It will mean at least 3 more loosing crap seasons. It will be a couple of years before a rookie QB comes close to being good. Sure Fitz shot the bed today. But look at the season he had. Look how pathic the front seven on defense is. What the Bills need is a team to build around Fitz, not a another QB. No pressure at all on Brady. Could'nt stop the run. I say draft nothing but front seven defense player, and maybe an Offensive tackle. Draft this. If your serious about the 3-4 defense you need LB's.

1. Da'Quan Bowers DE, Clemson.

2. Gabe Carimi OT, Wisconsin

3. Jeremy Beal OLB, Oklahoma

4. Jonathan Cornell ILB, Mississippi

4b. Mike McNeill TE, Nebraska

5. Kheeston Randall NT, Texas

6. Cliff Matthews OLB, South Carolina

7. Alex Wujciak ILB, Maryland

That you are going with DE in the first and no LB's until the 3rd invalidates the whole list for me.

Unless you are already declaring Carrington and Troupe busts (our #3 and #2 picks last year) I don't understand DL being the main priority.

Our LB's - including Poz are a joke. We can go with Poz and Moats if we get them two studs to help. Most of the failings have been failure to contain the edge - especially wherever Kelsay is lined up. Pass rush in a 3-4 also comes from the OLB's, not the DE's. Moats shows promise, but we need a strong bookend.

That you are going with DE in the first and no LB's until the 3rd invalidates the whole list for me.

Unless you are already declaring Carrington and Troupe busts (our #3 and #2 picks last year) I don't understand DL being the main priority.

Our LB's - including Poz are a joke. We can go with Poz and Moats if we get them two studs to help. Most of the failings have been failure to contain the edge - especially wherever Kelsay is lined up. Pass rush in a 3-4 also comes from the OLB's, not the DE's. Moats shows promise, but we need a strong bookend.

Bowers is projected to be that 3-4 OLB you are talking about. I believe he is listed as a DE only because that is what he was listed at in college. If the Bills were to draft him, he would be our pass rushing OLB. He does not play the same position as Carrington.

Did anyone watch Manning stink it up yesterday? A guy has a bad day. This is Fitz' first full season. We just need to design the offense around his strengths. If there was a great QB available at no. 5, we'd get him for later, but there won't be. Draft a stud LB, please!!

Did anyone watch Manning stink it up yesterday? A guy has a bad day. This is Fitz' first full season. We just need to design the offense around his strengths. If there was a great QB available at no. 5, we'd get him for later, but there won't be. Draft a stud LB, please!!

Yea everyone is entitled to bad days, but this isnt his first bad game this year by any means.

Its his 6th year in the league and he started half the season last year and 12 games the year before. Thats some decent playing time. Fitz is what he's gonna be.

He will put up some decent numbers and play hard, but hes a 2nd tier QB.

Yea everyone is entitled to bad days, but this isnt his first bad game this year by any means.

Its his 6th year in the league and he started half the season last year and 12 games the year before. Thats some decent playing time. Fitz is what he's gonna be.

He will put up some decent numbers and play hard, but hes a 2nd tier QB.

A 2nd tier QB is fine, and actually a big improvement from what the Bills have been putting on the field for the last 15 years.

I'd say in that time, Bledsoe has been our only other decent QB, and he was 2nd Tier by that point of his career as well.

The rest of them (Losman, Edwards, etc) have been 4th or 5th Tier players.

Fitz isnt up there with the Mannings, and Brady, and Brees, and Rivers, etc. by any means. But I would put him up there with Flacco, Romo, Cutler, Schaub, and Palmer. Definitely better than Henne, Grossman/McNabb, McCoy/Delhomme, Garrard, and Sanchez.

Point is, we can not only build around him, but also use him as QB until a rookie develops.

Teams (Bucs and Ravens) have won Super Bowls with 2nd Tier QBs, but they had to balance that out with a TOP Defense.

A 2nd tier QB is fine, and actually a big improvement from what the Bills have been putting on the field for the last 15 years.

I'd say in that time, Bledsoe has been our only other decent QB, and he was 2nd Tier by that point of his career as well.

The rest of them (Losman, Edwards, etc) have been 4th or 5th Tier players.

Fitz isnt up there with the Mannings, and Brady, and Brees, and Rivers, etc. by any means. But I would put him up there with Flacco, Romo, Cutler, Schaub, and Palmer. Definitely better than Henne, Grossman/McNabb, McCoy/Delhomme, Garrard, and Sanchez.

Point is, we can not only build around him, but also use him as QB until a rookie develops.

Teams (Bucs and Ravens) have won Super Bowls with 2nd Tier QBs, but they had to balance that out with a TOP Defense.

You can win a super bowl with that kind of QB play, but those teams have not been back to the super bowl since, and are anomalies in the history of champions.

I really dont think hes in the class of Flacco, Romo, Cutler, Schaub, and Palmer, hes the next class. I mean Jon Kitna has been putting up better numbers than Fitzmagic.

Fitz isnt in the top 10 in any meangingful category despite being in a pass happy offense.

I agree with your point that he is fine for the time being.