Mallett #1 pick

I believe we need to bolster our defense in the draft. But I also don't think drafting a QB in the first round derails that. Nor does drafting a defensive player in the first round completely fix our defense. So I don't understand why someone would call people "clowns" for having the opinion of drafting a future QB for this team in the first round.

This team has a lot of needs. And I actually would be happy with several scenarios. But the most important thing is that the players we draft begin to contribute and be future cornerstones. That is something we have lacked for over 10 years. Our first round rate is atrocious, and it doesn't get much better in the rounds thereafter. I'm nervous this last years draft is headed in that same direction. Our best player came from the sixth round and our next best decision was signing Nelson as an undrafted player. That's not good.

In three pages of disappointing short sighted posts, I will give this one a

+1

We don't have to push the BPA stuff to extremes (I hope we don't get one of the two top corners, but that's just me), but what we need is to get great football players and have a little patience.

Right now there is a lot of front 7 talk, but it makes me laugh. Yes that is what I think we need most and what I would be most excited about signing in a decent free agent, but: last year everyone said our need was OT and QB, we didn't draft either, and now people don't think OT and QB are necessarily our biggest needs. Things change and with the draft you have to get the best football players you can find, not pick positions of perceived need, because those needs shift before the guys you picked are ready to be stars a lot of the time.

So I am happy that a lot of the top talents are front seven guys, because I think that matches up with things, and when BPA and need match up, that is even better.

But for a QB, Fitz has proven that we don't need to get a QB. There are very few rookie QBs who will perform at his level, so getting a pretty good QB is not going to make us better in 2011. I think if we get a QB it is because we see a guy who we can envision in a yellow jacket and rings, or a second or third round value pick who Chan things he can develop while Fitz plays.

Obviously I would pick Luck, and even trade up for him if Carolina wanted to, but I don't think he is coming out so that won't matter so much. As for Mallett, the focus of this thread, if our football guys think he has a good chance to be a Big Ben or a Bledsoe then we take him. If our talent evaluation and projection is later than him, we skip the "need" to get a QB for that round of this year, and we take the best football player we can.

I haven't seen him play enough to really feel comfortable with my own opinions of him, but I do think there is some Big Ben/Bledsoe in Mallett. As much as I would like a Fairley or Bowers, if Mallett grades out, then I am very happy taking a franchise QB who is not the first QB chosen (Rivers, Big Ben, Flacco, Rodgers), but that is a much higher threshold than just being the second best QB in this draft.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you guys who say this, have you watched the games? He can move in the pocket, get out of sacks and he can actually run contrary to most opinions here.

Exactly...And it's funny how we were just beat for the millionth time by the sloth of all sloths at QB yet folks want to point to Malletts lack of mobility...He's Carl freaking Lewis in comparison to Brady, and probably a better runner than Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, or Phillip Rivers...Don't kid yourself people...Mallett's final evaluation will depend on that rocket-arm and his ability to read Defenses...Not his legs... B-)

I haven't seen him play enough to really feel comfortable with my own opinions of him, but I do think there is some Big Ben/Bledsoe in Mallett.

Aside from the fact that they're both tall, Big Ben and Bledsoe are two completely different QBs. One is a winner who can read defenses, get through his progressions consistently, and make every throw. The other is an overrated stiff whose former team felt so much of that they traded him to a team in the same damn division. Unfortunately, Mallett is more like the latter than the former, IMO.

I hate to say but I am on the Mallett Bandwagon now (prefer Luck but we won just enough to loose him too). Mallet reminds me of Roethlisberger and hopefully we be just as good for us. We may have had our differences Senator but I'm with you on this.

finally a man with a brain who does not have the fitizitis virus. congratulations on you understanding and knowledge of the game of football in the NFL.

it all starts with the QB. look @ all the playoff teams and they all have one thing in common,a great QB thats no coincidence its reality. until we get one we are going nowhere.

Edited by djrocks

I hate to say but I am on the Mallett Bandwagon now (prefer Luck but we won just enough to loose him too). Mallet reminds me of Roethlisberger and hopefully we be just as good for us. We may have had our differences Senator but I'm with you on this.

no thanks, i watched him give the Tide the game.

Check out the numbers on our beloved Jimbo http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm and notice the completion percentages over the years with the OL and offensive weapons he had around him. Only 4 of the 11 seasons in Buffalo did his completion percentage get above 60% and he is in the HOF. ;) I say we address other obvious needs this draft and give Fitz atleast one more year at the helm.

Right...because there are all kinds of ways Fitz compares to Jim Kelly... :doh: