Free Agent Priorities?

CSBill

Free Agent Priorities?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. You're the Bills GM, and you can't keep all of them; so who are your top five (pick only 5) priority re-signs of the current players eligible for Free Agency as the team moves forward?

• Donte Whitner - S
    • Paul Posluszny - LB
    • Shawne Merriman - LB
    • George Wilson - S
    • Drayton Florence - DB
    • Mansfield Wrotto - OT
    • John McCargo - DT
    • Akin Ayodele - LB
    • Quinton Ganther - RB
    • Keith Ellison - LB
    • Ashton Youboty - DB

Whitner, Pos, Wilson and Florence are gimmes. The tough one is the 5th.

Wrotto and Ayodele are decent backups in positions that aren't very deep on this team.

Merriman is the big risk/big reward guy. I can't believe he is done this early in his career. But he may not be a factor next year, either.

Youboty is the biggest puzzle, IMO. I can't remember him ever playing poorly, yet he can't see the field on game day. Yes he missed too much time with injuries over the years, but he always played very well. Still why keep a guy if you aren't going to use him?

Shawn merri will take far too much for the bills to sign relative to his likely worth. Is give him around a 90 percent chance of being completely done.

He'll sign with the Pats to a 1 year veteran minimum. Really, he hasn't played like his former self for 3 years. And to top it off, he's still injured with no real recovery in sight. No team with a quarter of a brain will thrown tons of money at him. In fact, he may not even be signed and may just retire.

As far as I'm concerned every single guy on this list can hit the road. I wouldn't mind keepin a few of em, but none sure fall under the category of "priority", more like, it would be fine to keep him, but it really doesn't matter. When people are listing players like Wilson and Florence as priorities, it shows just how low on top talent this roster really is.

As far as I'm concerned every single guy on this list can hit the road. I wouldn't mind keepin a few of em, but none sure fall under the category of "priority", more like, it would be fine to keep him, but it really doesn't matter. When people are listing players like Wilson and Florence as priorities, it shows just how low on top talent this roster really is.

You really mean this? Drayton Florence was our best free agent signing last year, and is one of our best DB's. He is definitely worth re-signing.

I think that Akin Ayodele should be kept on the team and we should cut Andra Davis.

Well, if it means not burning a draft pick I would bring Florence back. But we actually got him (to paraphrase a long time TSW favorate) "on the cheap". :w00t: He's kinda getting up there in age though so we may end up not having to pay too much once again. He's a decent veteran CB.

This is flawed, I want to choose Maybin all 5 times!

I would love to keep Youboty for the #5 spot but I do not think he will want to say. I would not be surprised if he finds a team to sign with and becomes a starter. I really liked him out of The OSU. However, I had to choose Ayodele because he will not be as expensive as Merriman and will be good depth at a thin position.

When people are listing players like Wilson and Florence as priorities, it shows just how low on top talent this roster really is.

It's only based on who the FAs are this year, not on who is on the roster. They happen to be some of the better players who are FAs, this year. Get some perspective.

Well, a day later, a bad loss later, and 108 GM's later, here are the most resent results:

1 - Drayton Florence - DB [99 votes [19.37%]

2 - George Wilson - S [97 votes - 18.98%]

3 - Paul Posluszny - LB [90 votes - 17.61%]

4 - Donte Whitner - S [66 votes - 12.92%]

5 - Mansfield Wrotto - OT [53 votes - 10.37%]

6 - Shawne Merriman - LB [45 votes - 8.81%]

Interesting, but not surprizing that Whitner is so low on the list. In the end, I don't think you keep both Wilson and Whitner, I would go with Wilson.

Wrotto is good for depth (keep if the value is right), but hopefully will be replaced by an upgrade as a starter.

Merriman is still a crap-shoot, and from what we've been reading, has no real interest in coming back unless he is given "an offer he can't refuse" - which he does not seem to be worth at this time.

And, that McCargo got any votes???? :wallbash:

Edited by CSBill

I've never been a Whitner basher, but I'd be fine with Wilson holding the fort for a year or two IF it meant the Bills adressed two out of the following four positions in free agency: TE, RT, LB, D-lineman who is at least very good vs. the run.

Whitner, Pos, Wilson and Florence are gimmes. The tough one is the 5th.

Wrotto and Ayodele are decent backups in positions that aren't very deep on this team.

Merriman is the big risk/big reward guy. I can't believe he is done this early in his career. But he may not be a factor next year, either.

Youboty is the biggest puzzle, IMO. I can't remember him ever playing poorly, yet he can't see the field on game day. Yes he missed too much time with injuries over the years, but he always played very well. Still why keep a guy if you aren't going to use him?

I agree with you. I keep Youboty though and don't draft Secondary

The Buffalo News (Bills Free Agents Ponder Future) has an article today outlining the current Bills eligible for Free Agency, and it also explains some of the issues related to keeping them. Who would you keep, knowing you can't get all of them?

This is an interesting article.

I didn't know about the 30% salary increase rule.

The article says Whitner is making $3.3 million/yr, wants 7 million, and that the 30% rule has little impact.

It seems 30% added to 3.3 mil would be 4.3 million -- way lower than what he wants. Wouldn't that be an impact?

6 - Shawne Merriman - LB [45 votes - 8.81%]

Merriman is still a crap-shoot, and from what we've been reading, has no real interest in coming back unless he is given "an offer he can't refuse" - which he does not seem to be worth at this time.

If Merriman could have played for the Bills this season and shown something, anything -- he could have written himself a fine ticket out of here.

Given that he showed up and got hurt the first day of practice -- who exactly are all these teams he's planning to line up to bid on his services?