And the Ed Block Courage Award Winner....

DC Grid

Is.....Donte Stallworth. For the courage to rise above "haters" and just do his thing Donte is truly deserving. A lot of players would have had a difficult time coping with murdering someone while drunk and driving around south beach...heck non NFL players would still be in jail....but not Donte. He came back big time and showed tremendous "courage" on the pup list for 10 weeks then amazing 2 catches for 82 yards. He joins the illustrious Mike Vick who won last year's Ed Block award in Philly. So from what I gather from who receives this award, Ed Block must have been a real A-hole.

Feel better now?

First of all, Stallworth is the Raven's Ed Block winner. Every team has one and they are selected by the team's players. It has nothing to do with on-field performance. James Hardy was the 2009 Buffalo Bills recipient.

Stallworth has handled this situation as well as anyone could ask for. Painting him as some random drunk who mowed down an innocent pedestrian is to ignore the facts of the case (at least from what I have read on this case). And contrary to your assessment I think most of us would have fared better with the legal system than Donte.

Without a major public image issue, a good attorney would have likely had you plead Not Guilty. I think the chances are good the charges would have been reduced or thrown out entirely. If it had gone to trial, an acquittal is always a possibility.

In Donte's case, he pleaded Guilty, completely cooperated with the prosecution and was immediately remorseful and respectful of the victim's family. That also worked to help reduce his sentence (the way it works for most cooperative defendants).

Maybe all the NFL teams should send you the list of their proposed Ed Block awardee and you can let them know if it meets your satisfaction...maybe make a few changes.

But, irrespective of your disdain for a some of the teams' choices for this award, you have no reason to bash the man for whom the award was named.

Feel better now?

First of all, Stallworth is the Raven's Ed Block winner. Every team has one and they are selected by the team's players. It has nothing to do with on-field performance. James Hardy was the 2009 Buffalo Bills recipient.

Stallworth has handled this situation as well as anyone could ask for. Painting him as some random drunk who mowed down an innocent pedestrian is to ignore the facts of the case (at least from what I have read on this case). And contrary to your assessment I think most of us would have fared better with the legal system than Donte.

Without a major public image issue, a good attorney would have likely had you plead Not Guilty. I think the chances are good the charges would have been reduced or thrown out entirely. If it had gone to trial, an acquittal is always a possibility.

In Donte's case, he pleaded Guilty, completely cooperated with the prosecution and was immediately remorseful and respectful of the victim's family. That also worked to help reduce his sentence (the way it works for most cooperative defendants).

Maybe all the NFL teams should send you the list of their proposed Ed Block awardee and you can let them know if it meets your satisfaction...maybe make a few changes.

But, irrespective of your disdain for a some of the teams' choices for this award, you have no reason to bash the man for whom the award was named.

Great post.

Is.....Donte Stallworth. For the courage to rise above "haters" and just do his thing Donte is truly deserving. A lot of players would have had a difficult time coping with murdering someone while drunk and driving around south beach...heck non NFL players would still be in jail....but not Donte. He came back big time and showed tremendous "courage" on the pup list for 10 weeks then amazing 2 catches for 82 yards. He joins the illustrious Mike Vick who won last year's Ed Block award in Philly. So from what I gather from who receives this award, Ed Block must have been a real A-hole.

Yes, a real A-hole. Take your ignorance elsewhere.

While Ed will be remembered as one of the most educated athletic trainers of his day, some of his most significant contributions came in the tirelessly manner in which he gave of himself to help improve the lives of children. He stood for courage and championed the cause of those who displayed that characteristic. His work and philosophy continues today through the Foundation that bears his name. A great and compassionate humanitarian, he was always proud to be known simply as "Ed Block of the Baltimore Colts."

He bought his way out of jail. He gave the victims family around 2 1/2 million dollars.

Not only would he have won a civil suit, he also probably could have won a counter suit. Instead, he did the classy thing and made sure the family was well taken care of.

Not much else to say that Dean hasnt already.

Anyone harping on Stallworth doesnt know much.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Feel better now?

Great post Dean.

http://www.edblock.org/

By the way, it should be pointed out that the Ed Block Courage Award is determined by a vote of the players only.

Each team votes one of its players as the team's recipient.

1984 – Steve Freeman

1985 – Jerry Butler

1986 – Lucius Sanford

1987 – Robb Riddick

1988 – Tim Vogler

1989 – Steve Tasker

1990 – Darryl Talley

1991 – Mark Kelso

1992 – Bruce Smith

1993 – John Davis

1994 – Kent Hull

1995 – Jim Kelly

1996 – Mark Maddox

1997 – Henry Jones

1998 – John Holecek

1999 – Sean Moran

2000 – Joe Panos

2001 – Jerry Ostroski

2002 – Tony Driver

2003 – Pat Williams

2004 – Travis Henry

2005 – Mark Campbell

2006 – Takeo Spikes

2007 – Kevin Everett

2008 --Chris Kelsay

2009 --James Hardy

2010--Jairus Byrd

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I know who Ed is. Mentioned it to highlight how Scum shouldn't get the award as it craps on his name.

Feel better now?

sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Five-ways-to-look-at-the-Donte-Stallworth-sente?urn=nfl-170659

sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Five-ways-to-look-at-the-Donte-Stallworth-sente?urn=nfl-170659

Bravo! You linked to an article by a blogger who, like you, omitted and distorted key elements of the incident.

Since you love yahoo sports so much here ya go... Link

Don't crap completely on a man til you do a little research (you can also find many more links with a search engine called google) instead of reading a one-sided terribly written blog

So why if he's such a great guy was he suspended for an entire season? Goddell just hates good guys?

Feel better now?

I'll say this much, when you kill someone while driving drunk you really shouldn't be honored for your contribution to society any time soon.

It's nice that he gave money to the victims family, but on a human level that's the least he could do.

For all I know, he knows this, but honoring him? Seriously? I know a lot of football fans take chances driving with alcohol in their system so there is a perverse level of empathy for his situation but there is a big difference between just letting someone live there life after causing the death of another and putting them on a pedestal for their courage or charitable work.

I'll say this much, when you kill someone while driving drunk you really shouldn't be honored for your contribution to society any time soon.

It's nice that he gave money to the victims family, but on a human level that's the least he could do.

For all I know, he knows this, but honoring him? Seriously? I know a lot of football fans take chances driving with alcohol in their system so there is a perverse level of empathy for his situation but there is a big difference between just letting someone live there life after causing the death of another and putting them on a pedestal for their courage or charitable work.

I can understand that position. But the award was given by his teammates. They don't seem to share your concerns here.

And, IMO Stallworth fits the "murdering drunk" definition the way Tony Washington fits "sex offender". By the strict definition what they did gets them that label. But in context it isn't anywhere near severe as the label would imply. Sometimes circumstance really are important. And, since none of us are without making some big mistakes. One way to judge another person is the way they handle themselves when they make those mistakes and what they do afterward.

:lol: Exactly. Awards such as these usually seem to be for individuals who go above and beyond what is expected of them. Way above and beyond would ALMOST kind of get Stallworth even, don't ya think?

From what I know about the situation, which isn't really much, Stallworth has been trying to do the right thing. Every way he can. Which is commendable, But this is doing the right thing after the fact. The fact is, it still happened. I'm all for giving people a second chance, more so than most, but it seems to me, a lot of giving people a second chance is to allow them to get back to even, not to win awards for citizenship.

Solid explaination of the suspension.

He was suspended because he still broke the law, which no one here is refuting and I think we can all agree he deserved. As seen in your first post you seem to have never fully understood what entailed the award with the posting of his personal statistics and on field performance. It was awarded by his fellow teammates, as The Dean posted, who i think recognized someone on their team who has made steps toward being a better human being after making a terrible decision which I can imagine at least encourages Mr. Stallworth that he has taken the proper steps during some of his darkest times.

He was suspended because he still broke the law, which no one here is refuting and I think we can all agree he deserved. As seen in your first post you seem to have never fully understood what entailed the award with the posting of his personal statistics and on field performance. It was awarded by his fellow teammates, as The Dean posted, who i think recognized someone on their team who has made steps toward being a better human being after making a terrible decision which I can imagine at least encourages Mr. Stallworth that he has taken the proper steps during some of his darkest times.

While this is a good post, none of us have any idea what his teammates were thinking when they voted him this award. Ultimately, it really could have had nothing to do with his vehicular manslaughter. The players could have simply watched him and what he does (after the fact) and said this guy does more than anyone on our team as a member of the community. That's what it seems the award is for. So maybe his teammates have seen what he has gone through, saw how he reacted, and then appreciated the way he has given back to the community in this particular year. It doesn't at all seem to be a lifetime achievement kind of thing, His teammates may have just believed he was doing the right thing and should be rewarded for it.

Then again, they might be a bunch of thugs and this was the best of a bunch of idiots. ;)

I can understand that position. But the award was given by his teammates. They don't seem to share your concerns here.

And, IMO Stallworth fits the "murdering drunk" definition the way Tony Washington fits "sex offender". By the strict definition what they did gets them that label. But in context it isn't anywhere near severe as the label would imply. Sometimes circumstance really are important. And, since none of us are without making some big mistakes. One way to judge another person is the way they handle themselves when they make those mistakes and what they do afterward.

On your first point, I think the teammates have a lot of empathy for him because it's really not uncommon for pro athletes to do unnecessarily risky things like driving drunk. A lockerroom full of 20 something instant-millionaires is going to have it's share of partiers. Accidentally killing someone when you are DWI/DWUI and then almost losing your livelihood and wealth............that hits home in the clubhouse. He is a tragic figure to them.

As for whether Stallworth fits the murdering drunk profile........I think most people assume that this wasn't the first time that he had driven drunk. Right or wrong, practically everyone knows someone who has been pulled over for driving under the influence and know full well that most offenders do so many, many times before ever getting caught.

On your first point, I think the teammates have a lot of empathy for him because it's really not uncommon for pro athletes to do unnecessarily risky things like driving drunk. A lockerroom full of 20 something instant-millionaires is going to have it's share of partiers. Accidentally killing someone when you are DWI/DWUI and then almost losing your livelihood and wealth............that hits home in the clubhouse. He is a tragic figure to them.

As for whether Stallworth fits the murdering drunk profile........I think most people assume that this wasn't the first time that he had driven drunk. Right or wrong, practically everyone knows someone who has been pulled over for driving under the influence and know full well that most offenders do so many, many times before ever getting caught.

Not to beat this horse to death, but...

I won't speculate on whether Donte has driven drunk in the past. Possibly he has. But this is a unique situation, IMO. He wasn't leaving a bar/party/nightclub. He had residual alcohol in his bloodstream after waking up. How many people, even those who make damn sure they don't drive home drunk, might blow over a .08 in the morning? You don't have a buzz. The morning grogginess likely masks any left over alcohol effects. By the time you shower and leave the house you probably feel fine, and have no thought of last night's drinking. Unless you keep a breathalyzer in the house, how would you know what your blood alcohol level?

Yes, Stallworth's blood alcohol was well above the legal limit (.08), but let's not pretend that everyone feels/acts the same given the same blood alcohol level. They may all be legally drunk, but some may exhibit few signs or not feel much different. Add the circumstances of waking up to the mix and I think you may have a guy who could be very careful not to drive drunk in typical situations, not even considering last night's consumption, here.

Let's make something clear. I'm not excusing Donte because of this, but it adds context that should be used when evaluating the severity of the situation. In out current state of fear, people would blame Stallworth even if he were stopped at a red light and someone plowed into him, had his blood alcohol been found to be above the legal limit. Often alcohol plays the major role in an accident, sometimes it is a contributing factor and then there are times when it likely had no impact whatsoever in the situation. As I wasn't there, I can only speculate. But hitting a guy darting across a highway right before dawn, probably falls into one of the latter two categories.

Finally, let's remember the reason he is "guilty" of vehicular manslaughter is because he choose to plead guilty. Most anyone else would likely not have that tag associated with them, as they would have fought these charges, and very possibly would have beaten them. The incident doesn't change, but the punishment and labels do.

Not to beat this horse to death, but...

I won't speculate on whether Donte has driven drunk in the past. Possibly he has. But this is a unique situation, IMO. He wasn't leaving a bar/party/nightclub. He had residual alcohol in his bloodstream after waking up. How many people, even those who make damn sure they don't drive home drunk, might blow over a .08 in the morning? You don't have a buzz. The morning grogginess likely masks any left over alcohol effects. By the time you shower and leave the house you probably feel fine, and have no thought of last night's drinking. Unless you keep a breathalyzer in the house, how would you know what your blood alcohol level?

Yes, Stallworth's blood alcohol was well above the legal limit (.08), but let's not pretend that everyone feels/acts the same given the same blood alcohol level. They may all be legally drunk, but some may exhibit few signs or not feel much different. Add the circumstances of waking up to the mix and I think you may have a guy who could be very careful not to drive drunk in typical situations, not even considering last night's consumption, here.

Let's make something clear. I'm not excusing Donte because of this, but it adds context that should be used when evaluating the severity of the situation. In out current state of fear, people would blame Stallworth even if he were stopped at a red light and someone plowed into him, had his blood alcohol been found to be above the legal limit. Often alcohol plays the major role in an accident, sometimes it is a contributing factor and then there are times when it likely had no impact whatsoever in the situation. As I wasn't there, I can only speculate. But hitting a guy darting across a highway right before dawn, probably falls into one of the latter two categories.

Finally, let's remember the reason he is "guilty" of vehicular manslaughter is because he choose to plead guilty. Most anyone else would likely not have that tag associated with them, as they would have fought these charges, and very possibly would have beaten them. The incident doesn't change, but the punishment and labels do.

Wow, are you a PR guy for Donte?

1. Bars in Mia close at 4am, accident was before 7am...not exactly getting up the morning after, just as likely to be driving home from an after party set up.

2. Donte blew a .134, unless you're a tremendous alcoholic, you know your fighting off more than an innocent case of the sleepies.

3. Donte's only residual test was positive for weed. Also illegal.

4. Yes his friends and friendly reporters are how fast to point out he plead guilty as proof of how great he is, but strategically it made the most sense. Going to trial, won't only make the family "feel bad" it will make him look awful. Rich millionaire driving bentley home after a night of drinking kills immigrant worker running to catch his bus home, and had nearly twice the legal bac AND tested positive for weed. I know you and others talk about how he "would have won that case" but finding sympathetic jurors in a city with a jury pool made up largely of poor migrants might not go so hot. In fact I'd bet on a fairly quick guilty once it went to the jury, and a lot of liberal judges in Mia won't be any more sympathetic.

Second, he has an NFL career he is nearing the end of. Fighting the case which would take over a year, during which time he wouldn't be allowed to play, and afterwards facing still more of a ban if he lost PLUS POSSIBLY 20 YEARS IN PRISON. Dude paid a family off and got a guaranteed 30 days and limited his suspension to only a single season by making this trade. So he's a great guy for "ownning up" to his crime by spending 30 days in jail to avoid the possibility of 20 years in prison. Is it too late to give him the Walter payton award?

Edited by DC Grid