Palin hunting Caribou

....lybob

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a made-for-TV situation folks, and I think it came off rather poorly and the TV producers and her two guides are doofuses.

First, they shooting at a horizon and even if they had checked out the backdrop, it's lesson one in hunting - make sure you know what's down range.

Second, she's not familiar with the first rifle and it's not sighted in. It takes guide one about five shots to figure that out. Her first shot with the second rifle downs the game.

Third, they guides are so excited that they have her taking shots head-on. The best shot to take is the quartering away shot.

Like it or not haters, Palin loves the outdoors and is willing to get muddy and kill animals. She'll dress and butcher them too, then make meals out of them. She's hunted a lot with her Dad and her husband. Why they picked these two camera-jittery guides is a mystery.

And, whateverdude - you do know it was the hand-held camera that was shaking all over the place. Her rifle wasn't. The scope-crosshairs shot was simulated.

It's a made-for-TV situation folks, and I think it came off rather poorly and the TV producers and her two guides are doofuses.

First, they shooting at a horizon and even if they had checked out the backdrop, it's lesson one in hunting - make sure you know what's down range.

Second, she's not familiar with the first rifle and it's not sighted in. It takes guide one about five shots to figure that out. Her first shot with the second rifle downs the game.

Third, they guides are so excited that they have her taking shots head-on. The best shot to take is the quartering away shot.

Like it or not haters, Palin loves the outdoors and is willing to get muddy and kill animals. She'll dress and butcher them too, then make meals out of them. She's hunted a lot with her Dad and her husband. Why they picked these two camera-jittery guides is a mystery.

And, whateverdude - you do know it was the hand-held camera that was shaking all over the place. Her rifle wasn't. The scope-crosshairs shot was simulated.

The whole things is produced. They are trying to spin her as this great outdoors person which she really is not.

1) What avid hunter is thinking and worried about the rifle kicking when they are about to take the shot?

2) What avid hunter uses someone else's rifle?

3) What avid hunter does not spend an afternoon sighting in their own gun (zeroed in at a particular distance) before the hunt even if they are borrowing one?

4) What avid hunter is not familiar with the rifle, the round used, it's kick and how to properly line up the scope.

Edited by whateverdude

um... one of the guides was her DAD (the other, his friend). so what your saying is that she was taught by someone who really didn't know all that much about hunting and hunters safety...or maybe she and he never really had much hunting experience. or maybe they all just had a really bad day, but i doubt it. this was a poorly executed political photo op from someone who is acting the part of a hunter to shill for the cabellas voters and supposedly right now she's not running for anything.

an analogy might be helpful. let's pretend that surfers rights are a hot button political issue. obama attempts to show his prowess (and everyone assumes he's good, growing up in hawaii) but he can't get up on the board. in addition he gets in the way of other surfers causing a hazard. he blames it on a borrowed board and bad surf. he's accompanied by a family member who he supposedly surfed with in his formative years who seems to have no idea how to time a wave. and all of this is broadcast nationally on a reality show. do you imagine that the conservatives on this board would start a thread about that? do you think they might be critical of the whole charade?

Edited by birdog1960

The whole things is produced. They are trying to spin her as this great outdoors person which she really is not.

1) What avid hunter is thinking and worried about the rifle kicking when they are about to take the shot?

2) What avid hunter uses someone else's rifle?

3) What avid hunter does not spend an afternoon sighting in their own gun (zeroed in at a particular distance) before the hunt even if they are borrowing one?

4) What avid hunter is not familiar with the rifle, the round used, it's kick and how to properly line up the scope.

1) Absolutely. It's part of the drill.

2) Plenty that are on an actual hunt.

3) Blame the producers and the guides for rushing to make a TV show.

4) Plenty - that's why you have guides.

5) She hunts a lot - which is obviously something you don't.

I'm not saying this wasn't a cluster.

I am saying you don't know squat when it comes to guns and hunting.

So I watched the show (my wife likes it), and am a hunter myself. What hasn't been discussed is that her Dad (the guide) earlier in the show took a bad fall going down a hill while carrying the rifle. I'm not sure if that was what caused it to be 'off', but likely could've caused a properly sighted in rifle to shoot off target.

I don't disagree with many of the points here, specifically that Palin isn't a regular hunter, but it is clear that she has hunted in the past. I'll even admit to the guilty pleasure of enjoying the show for its scenery and the Palin family overall, who seems like a nice family. I also dig that they're able to go out and hunt much of their own food.

I also enjoy watching the left foam at the mouth and have epileptic fits whenever she speaks, it's quite enjoyable!

But whoever opined about this being the most pathetic thread ever is pretty much on target...

The Palin haters keep talking about checking what is downrange. They are in the middle of nowhere. They had to take a plane to their campsite and then they hiked about 4 miles more to the caribou. There is nothing around. That was obvious if you watched the show.

I hear they taste just like manatee.

My first job in Florida completely got off on the wrong foot when I was invited to lunch by the girls in my department my first week, and I told them I had to keep working, but would appreciate if someone would bring me back a manatee sandwich.

Only job I was ever fired from..

finally able to bring myself to listen/read this jerk's bull (i have a hard time taking a faux macho poseur, who needs a mirror to wash his balls and a blue pill to perform on vacation, seriously). so what has he shown? that conservatives commentators engage in more crude and overt class warfare than any liberal would ever dream of? that borrowing something that you really won't need very often is stupid? that slipping into the dialect of the area that you're in is dishonest (speech pathologists will tell you that this is quite common and is probably natural and adaptive behavior)? this is much ado about nothing and in no way minimizes the impression that kerry looked pretty comfortable with a shotgun in his hands unlike palin and her poorly sighted rifle.

I was just looking for the audio clip of lurch saying "where can I get me a huntin license" because it's hilarious how obviously fake and try hard he is, pretending he's some regular Joe passing himself off as the regular outdoorsman to appeal to rural types who thought of him as an uptight northeastern liberal elitist jackass. This was the only place I found it. You should let some of that anger and hatred go, dog. It's not becoming on you. Peaceful thoughts dog, peaceful thoughts.

Edited by Rob's House

I am saying you don't know squat when it comes to guns and hunting.

LOL, if you only knew. I'll let you be right if thats what makes you feel good.

One thing I will say is you should never shoot someone else's gun,if you have no idea how competent they are with the weapon, what shape it was left in and most important how clean they keep it. Your life could depend on it

Edited by whateverdude

One thing I will say is should never shoot someone else's gun. If you have no idea how competent they are with the weapon, what shape it was left in and most important how clean they keep it. Your life could depend on it

If by "shoot" you mean "screw" and by "gun" you mean "chick," I completely agree with you.

Damn you: I was just dropping in to note that I would never have guessed such a stupid thread would get to 3 pages.

Yeah but hunting can get pretty stupid for some people. What Palin did was trophy hunt through surrogates. Whether or not thats hunting is debatable. What my idiot brother does is to surveil an area all summer and into the fall, bury his hunting gear outside for a couple of weeks, take a bath in deer piss, and paint his face in camo before he hunts.

Edited by whateverdude

Yeah but hunting can get pretty stupid for some people. What Palin did was trophy hunt through surrogates. Whether or not thats hunting is debatable. What my idiot brother does is to surveil an area all summer and into the fall, bury his hunting gear outside for a couple of weeks, take a bath in deer piss, and paint his face in camo before he hunts.

But this thread is all about politics and in the stupidist form. Your brother playing Col Kurtz is pretty interesting.