Not as far away as some may think...

Armchair GM

How quickly we forget that the Vikings ate us for lunch last week. When we line up against really good lines, our weaknesses become apparent. Our defensive front 7 is weak, and we have a couple former first rounders who can't even crack the starting line-up.

This is the area of the team that needs a talent infusion the most. 2-3 key additions would be extremely helpful, but still may not be enough. To date, Poz is the only LB of note (with Moats showing some promise) and Kyle Williams as the only keeper on the DL (Carrington still an unknown and Troup having some good moments but needs more of them).

Look guys & gals, this team has a lot of average level talent, a couple guys above average, and inevitably some mediocre guys...(mediocre=average or slightyl below it). We are a couple key contributers away from being a playoff level franchise. For instance, if we get ONE guy on each of the OL, DL, & LB positions, the level of play of the rest of the guys raises and all of a sudden our "lack of talent, overachievers" are a solid team. I'm not saying we're definitely going to the playoffs next year, but if we have a good offseason, its not as far fetched an idea as some may think.

I think they are still a few years away. They need:

Two tackles

A quality TE

Two DE's

3 LBs

Another DT

continued devleopment of their young WRs

another good year from Fitz

We are pretty close to competing for the 5 or 6 spot for the 2011 season. Pitt isnt great, Baltimore again not great, the west is likely to have one playoff team for awhile even if I'm wrong do you fear the chiefs or raiders ? Ar they further along than we are or just playing a much weaker schedule. Jacksonville is a nice club but not good, Indy is on a huge slide with Manning going into year fifteen. That leaves the Dolphins who have a little better D than we do and a more physical O-line. Anybody want Chad Henne ? - they don't either. Or the Jets what a blessed existence they have had this year. A miracle in about 4 spots are they are going to struggle to be .500. The wild card teams are not that much in front of us (and others) and the division leaders don't scare anyone either. The only team that continues to roll along is New England

exactly.

Exactly. Squeaking out home wins against the Browns and Lions isn't exactly one stop from a deep playoff run. They've lost 5 division games in a row and 13 of the last 15.

Bad teams need more than one or two guys to turn it around. For instance, the Rams have been stocking up on core players for the last few years; including both starting tackles drafted in the last 2 years, plus solid players at all 3 levels of defense. That's how you build for long term success. The Bills need to stop spending high draft picks on questionable players or on guys they don't need.

RW said the team was 3 years away, and that's about how long the Rams have been rebuilding for. Since 2008, they've drafted a starting QB, RDE, LT, RT, and MLB and while they're far from a finished product, it's a team with upside. Teams can rebuild quicker, but that happens when a front office has its stuff together.

There's a growing sense the Bills "have" to be active in UFA with some premium signings to expedite the process. When's the last time that happened, what 4 years ago? Based on recent history and considering the future of the franchise, I don't see them going big in UFA but continuing to downplay it like Nix loves to do. So that leaves the draft, and they again have more distinct needs than picks to fill them in the coming offseason.

I don't think that talent-wise we are that far off, but we do need some players. The Viking game was good litmus test of our depth and exposed some of the talent gaps we have.

I still believe that wins in the NFL more often than not come down to coaching and schemes, NE plugs in just about anybody, finds the best way to use them, and gets the most out of them. Granted Brady is definately a great QB, but it isn't just Brady. When they lost him a few seasons ago in steps a 7th rounder and he ends up playing like an all-star. That staff scouts well and coaches up their players well - period. I mean seriously... Danny Woodhead? WTH???

You can spend a wad of cash and gather the best players around ala Dan Snyder of Washington but without solid coaching and players that buy into the system you just end up with a pricy collection of talented prima donnas who cannot execute a game plan together.

I have more faith in Nix directing our next draft after Gailey has had a year to put his stamp on this team, seen what players fit his system and has identified what additional players are needed to get this team over the hump... I expect to see impact D-line, linebackers, and couple of O-Linemen that grade out well taken and would not be suprised if there is a tightend taken at or before the 4th round. I really had high hopes for Nelson, but with all the various ailments, suspensions, and now migraines it may be time to cut him loose and get a player that can actually get on the field.

We will all learn a lot about where this team is truely at over the next 3 games against our AFC East rivals. Of course I would like to see wins in all three, but I could have hope for next year if we are at the very least competetive and the games are close. No craptastic blowouts like the game against the Vikes. please.

Just my Opinion so fire away.

I'm always optimistic about the Bills, more so lately.

But it was very sobering seeing the New York Giants dominating the Minnesota Vikings in both trenches one week after the Vikes dominated the Bills in both trenches.

The only solace I took from the Monday night game was that from what I saw, David Diehl didn't look any better than Demetrius Bell in his attempts to block Jared Allen.

I hope Ralph lets buddy nix do what ever he wants, but that will never happen. We are like the red sox. We will never win a championship until we get a new owner. Its not that I dont like the guy, but he just does not know how to build a team anymore. Ralph please give nix the reigns of this organization.

I'm always optimistic about the Bills, more so lately.

But it was very sobering seeing the New York Giants dominating the Minnesota Vikings in both trenches one week after the Vikes dominated the Bills in both trenches.

The only solace I took from the Monday night game was that from what I saw, David Diehl didn't look any better than Demetrius Bell in his attempts to block Jared Allen.

Not taking anything away from Allen who is starting to come on lately for the Vikes, but losing our starting center and guard, the subsequent shuffling of the line, the muffed snaps at center by Levitre, along with the crowd noise in the dome really killed any chance we had. It didn't help that a couple of really poor plays led to MN points putting the team in such a hole that the Viking's D knew we had to pass the ball. With the crowd noise and adhoc O-line the snap count was obvious even to me. The Vikes were able to pin their ears back and key in on Fitz.

I have not seen such poor protection for our QB all year as I did in that game and we have played some teams with decent d-lines. I am hoping it was just a fluke combination of events.

Not being polyanna, just curious to see how our revamped line holds up against the Fins, Jests, and Pats.

Not taking anything away from Allen who is starting to come on lately for the Vikes, but losing our starting center and guard, the subsequent shuffling of the line, the muffed snaps at center by Levitre, along with the crowd noise in the dome really killed any chance we had. It didn't help that a couple of really poor plays led to MN points putting the team in such a hole that the Viking's D knew we had to pass the ball. With the crowd noise and adhoc O-line the snap count was obvious even to me. The Vikes were able to pin their ears back and key in on Fitz.

I have not seen such poor protection for our QB all year as I did in that game and we have played some teams with decent d-lines. I am hoping it was just a fluke combination of events.

Not being polyanna, just curious to see how our revamped line holds up against the Fins, Jests, and Pats.

I won't argue with you. I pointed out several of the same points in the Shoutbox and post game threads.

In that Minny game there were several extenuating circumstances.

And considering the reshuffling of the offensive line, that unit played pretty well against Cleveland.

Let's try this on for size, shall we, say the Bills add an ORT in free agency like Tyson Clabo from the Falcons (hypothetical gang!) and a TE is also added along the way who has NFL experience. In the draft, the Bills opt to bolster their defense early and often, by grabbing DE Da'Quan Bowers or DE Marcel Darius and adding two OLB's in Von Miller (trade up into first round) and Casey Matthews. The question becomes, are they better? My answer would be yes, and therefore, more of a threat to make noise next year and into the 2012 campaign. Doesn't it seem Chan Gailey has proved he can coach this outfit? Won't he be better with more tools to work with? If one listens to some on this board, he's already made chicken salad out of chicken shat with Ryan Fitzpatrick, so why the doubt, without seeing the finished product?

Let's try this on for size, shall we, say the Bills add an ORT in free agency like Tyson Clabo from the Falcons (hypothetical gang!) and a TE is also added along the way who has NFL experience. In the draft, the Bills opt to bolster their defense early and often, by grabbing DE Da'Quan Bowers or DE Marcel Darius and adding two OLB's in Von Miller (trade up into first round) and Casey Matthews. The question becomes, are they better? My answer would be yes, and therefore, more of a threat to make noise next year and into the 2012 campaign. Doesn't it seem Chan Gailey has proved he can coach this outfit? Won't he be better with more tools to work with? If one listens to some on this board, he's already made chicken salad out of chicken shat with Ryan Fitzpatrick, so why the doubt, without seeing the finished product?

Okay lets examine what this coaching staff has done:

The defense is still mostly terrible and gets run over. If not for Poz and Whittner, every handoff would be a touchdown.

While there has been a moderate improvement in the passing game, it is not reflected on the scoreboard. In the last seven games, we have gone over 19 points exactly once. we have played one really good winning football game all year. This draft has contributed little to date. Spiller is a disappointment. What gives you optimism?

Exactly. Squeaking out home wins against the Browns and Lions isn't exactly one stop from a deep playoff run. They've lost 5 division games in a row and 13 of the last 15.

Bad teams need more than one or two guys to turn it around. For instance, the Rams have been stocking up on core players for the last few years; including both starting tackles drafted in the last 2 years, plus solid players at all 3 levels of defense. That's how you build for long term success. The Bills need to stop spending high draft picks on questionable players or on guys they don't need.

The Jets margin of victory, during a period of the season in which they were playing well, is the same as ours (+1 against Detroit). Both the Pats* & the Dolphins lost to Cleveland. The Pats did take care of Detroit pretty handly and the Dolphins are yet to play Detroit, which could be Detroits 3rd W this year. Just sayn'!

I've been hearing the exact same line every December (at the conclusion of another crappy season) for years.

Until the Bills learn what to do with a first round draft pick, this team is going nowhere.

+ 1

Every December it's like the movie "Ground Hog day". If the Bills just get a "couple" more players. The D alone is probably

five players away from being average, or of playoff caliber.

o The D line is a mess, except for Kyle Williams.

o The LB unit is a mess.

o The D is ranked last in the league against the run.

o The secondary is OK, but McGee is getting old and injured, and I NEVER want to see McLuvin as a starter.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Okay lets examine what this coaching staff has done:

The defense is still mostly terrible and gets run over. If not for Poz and Whittner, every handoff would be a touchdown.

While there has been a moderate improvement in the passing game, it is not reflected on the scoreboard. In the last seven games, we have gone over 19 points exactly once. we have played one really good winning football game all year. This draft has contributed little to date. Spiller is a disappointment. What gives you optimism?

Not to feed someone Trolling with overly negative comments, but the post you responded to indicated that we needed defensive help. Anyone that watches this team knows we need to be better in run defense and to find players capable of creating more pressure on passing downs without always having to blitz our LBs and Safties - hence the projection of going defense in the draft.

As to improvements one need only look at the second half adjustments that were made in several games where they were able to shut down some pretty decent teams. Peyton Hillis has been a load for any team he has played against, but our defense held up pretty well against him.

I've been watching this team for a long time and this year (with the exception of the Vikings game) this team has looked prepared and it appears that the coaching staff gets them in position to win games. Have the players taken that last step and gotten the wins - no, but they were there for the taking and a playmaker making a play here or a stop there may be the only difference this team needs to get back on track and be competitive again.

I would like to see Spiller more involved in the offense, but I will give him a pass this year. Fred is no spring chicken and he is bound to get nicked up along the way. Spiller will be good insurance for years to come and I believe could develop into an every down back, but why take carries away from Jackson who has earned every right to carry the bulk of the load. Better defense will lead to more 3 and outs and therefore more opportunities for Spiller to get carries. If he is not producing good yards per carry the rest of this year and next, then I will use the label "disappointment" too. For now, it is way too early for that.

It all depends on this last draft class. IF Troupe, Moats and Carrington all become starter material and we get a difference maker with our first round pick, that's possibly 4 new starters in our defensive front seven. Take a starting ROT in the second and we would be much better. IMHO

Easley and Batten will be like bonus mid round picks.

This team has a lot more than a few mediocre players. You failed to mention them, but this team also has some downright bad players, guys that get beat on most snaps. Unfortunately, raiding practice squads is a long-shot way of finding elite players and the Bills unchanged college scouting department's record is atrocious.