Whitner and POZ 3rd and 4th Tackles

Silvercrw

First, tackles are one of the worst/misleading stats in the NFL. TFL is a far more important statistic.

Second, having a safety lead the team in tackles is NEVER a good sign. It means that opposing ball carriers are, more often than not, getting past the front 7.

But other than that, awesome :P

As others have pointed out, leading the league in tackles means only one thing: a LOT of plays are getting run at you, this is a bad thing. Again, having our safety amongst the team lead in tackles is also a bad thing.

...but, it still means that those two are sticking there heads in and getting to the guy with the ball. So it still means something positive. IMO Whitner is having his best year by a pretty good margin.

First, tackles are one of the worst/misleading stats in the NFL. TFL is a far more important statistic.

Second, having a safety lead the team in tackles is NEVER a good sign. It means that opposing ball carriers are, more often than not, getting past the front 7.

Remember when Antoine Winfield led the Bills in tackles? Yes it's bad when a safety leads the team in tackles and even worse when a CB does.

Zach Thomas used to lead the league in tackles. He had to be one of the most overrated players ever. The guy missed way more than he made. Tackles are quite misleading.

:blink: Next your going to to me London Fletcher made all his plays 5-10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. :angry:

I agree. Tackles aren't everything. Poz has a LOT of tackles but I don't see a dominant player on the field. We gave up additional draft picks to move up in the 2nd round to get this guy and to this point imo he hasn't out played the guy he replaced.

London Fletcher has easily played as well as Poz and isn't injury prone. All we had to do was pay the guy to keep him and use our draft picks on positions of real need. At the time the supposed reasoning was that although London Fletcher got a LOT of tackles, (sound familiar?), he wasn't worth the money and was let go.

I'm not saying we should let Poz go but more lets not make the same mistake again. My inability to understand why this guy is the fan favorite aside we should renew his contract and use our draft picks on other positions of need.

As others have pointed out, leading the league in tackles means only one thing: a LOT of plays are getting run at you, this is a bad thing. Again, having our safety amongst the team lead in tackles is also a bad thing.

...but, it still means that those two are sticking there heads in and getting to the guy with the ball. So it still means something positive. IMO Whitner is having his best year by a pretty good margin.

A huge number of tackles by the defense typically isn't a positive sign. It means the opposing offense has the ball too often, moves it too much, etc.

But a player having a lot of tackles says positive things about the player. It isn't the only important stat, and the player with the most tackles isn't necessarily the best player. But making a lot of tackles is a very positive statement for a player. It means he hustles, keeps after the play and...can tackle.

I remember the dopes who used to say London Fletcher wasn't any good, because he made his tackles downfield. Guess what? That's where the guy with the ball was. Unless he is downfield because London screwed up (which wasn't often the case) he made the play. He made the play when others didn't and before others could. Donte and Pos are similar in that respect.

Anybody who is in the top rankings of # of tackles in the NFL is a good player. Period. Bad players don't make a lot of tackles.

I'm not sure I understand the attempt at sarcasm... he did!

Dude London Fletcher was in the pro bowl last year. Are you saying he just got better after he left Buffalo and then learned how to tackle upfield more? He's team captain for the skins defense and he still makes a lot of plays when I watch him. If he came back to Buffalo he'd be the best linebacker on the team.

Except for Moops. I mean Moats. The card says Moats.