The Manning Factor

T master

With as bad as the team has been doing this year record wise and in the recent past , then through in what ever the deal is between Jim Harbaugh & Jim Kelly i was wondering .

If Luck does happen to come out this year do you all think he might pull what Eli did (with some coaxing from his coach) & say he just doesn't want to play for the Bills , or might he even pull what Kelly himself did & just sit or possibly do something else like play for the CFL or UFL or whatever .

Not that i think either of the last things i mention will come through but i'm just throwing it out there as a thought .

And if he was to pull an Eli what would or should the Bills do then ?? If he doesn't come out i think we'll be fine or if we do well the last 4 games we won't have to worry about it because they say he will be the first pick if he comes out , but i just thought i'd throw this out there for some food for thought & see what you all might be thinking !! :blink:

Edited by T master

why would he do that? except for eli manning what top pick has refused to go to a team?

Well, Jim Kelly didn't really want to come here at first.

And John Elway and family told the Colts not to draft him.

"Elway had publicly stated that he refused to join the Colts organization, feeling the team could not allow him to be successful. If they did not trade him he said he was going to play baseball. Eventually, Colts owner Robert Irsay gave in. The Colts traded him to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick (OG Ron Solt) in the 1984 NFL Draft on May 2, 1983."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

and we all know how the cousineau trade worked out...i always thought it was the canadians who just offered him more money than the bills so thats why he left. bo just wanted to play baseball from what i remember.

No to both accounts.

Bo Jackson told the Bucs not to draft him. They drafted him anyway, so he flipped them a bird and said he'd rather play baseball than play for Tampa Bay.

Cousineau decided his only choice was to go to the CFL because the Bills treated him so poorly. They didn't even call the guy after they drafted him, low balled him, etc.

Cousineau's agent was ready to fly with him to Buffalo, but they learned at the airport that the Bills had provided only a ticket for Cousineau. Then, after Cousineau's introductory press conference, a key team executive didn't show for a dinner meeting. Finally, when Buffalo's contract offer came in low, at $1.2 million over five years, Cousineau accepted a competing offer—$850,000 for three years from the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/21/tom-cousineau-reflects-on-being-chosen-one-in-1979/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027384/index.htm

after tampa couldn't sign him his name went into the nfl draft a year later and no team would touch him cause he wanted to play baseball. the raiders took him in the 7th round and bo still played ball after that. i didn't realize that buffalo lowballed him and treated him like that but he did take more money from canada.

He tried to negotiate with the Bills, but Buffalo's best offer was five years and $1.2 million. Montreal offered, with the signing bonus, a little more than $1 million for three years, Cousineau said. As talks bogged down, Cousineau said he remembered then Bills-coach Chuck Knox visiting him at Cleveland Airport and being near exasperated at the pace of negotiations between Walsh and GM Stew Barber.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/21/tom-cousineau-reflects-on-being-chosen-one-in-1979/

and we all know how the cousineau trade worked out...i always thought it was the canadians who just offered him more money than the bills so thats why he left. bo just wanted to play baseball from what i remember.

Bo should have stuck with baseball; he probably would have had a hall of fame career. Too bad the injury cut his career short.

Eli's stunt actually helped the Chargers as they were able to fleece the Giants for Philip Rivers, an additional 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and another mid round pick. If the Bills could do something like that, I wouldn't cry too much about missing out on Luck. Like others have said, I believe it is all moot anyway as the Bills will probably not be picking 1st overall.

Honestly, to compare players from the 80s is foolish. The money is so outlandish now, it's a whole new game. I would bet anything Eli would play in SD if they told him to suck it up. They had the benefit of a huge offer and another player they liked to get then out of any drama but Eli would never hold out the year. I would bet these "threats" are common in every draft, you never see anyone sit.

Eli's stunt actually helped the Chargers as they were able to fleece the Giants for Philip Rivers, an additional 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and another mid round pick. If the Bills could do something like that, I wouldn't cry too much about missing out on Luck. Like others have said, I believe it is all moot anyway as the Bills will probably not be picking 1st overall.

Yeah. They sure fleeced the Giants ... oh and the Giants went on to beat the 18-0 Pats* in the Super Bowl.