Big Wideouts in the 2008 draft

VirginiaMike

I think it's interesting the the three "large" wideouts taken early in the 2008 NFl draft - James Hardy, Malcom Kelly, and Devon Thomas are busts. The small guy - DeSean Jackson has been a hit. All the experts said you need big wideouts like "Plexiglass" Burres, but that's not true -- or so it seems. What you need are guys who know how to play and are willing to work at it.

I think it's interesting the the three "large" wideouts taken early in the 2008 NFl draft - James Hardy, Malcom Kelly, and Devon Thomas are busts. The small guy - DeSean Jackson has been a hit. All the experts said you need big wideouts like "Plexiglass" Burres, but that's not true -- or so it seems. What you need are guys who know how to play and are willing to work at it.

[/quote

You forgot Limas Sweed

You forgot Limas Sweed

And don't forget Donnie Avery and Eddie Royal, two other smurfs in the same draft that have outperformed the busts.

No wideouts were taken in the first round in 2008. Jordy Nelson of Green Bay was also in this Round 2 mix of 8 wide receivers as were tight ends John Carlson and Fred Davis.

I thought Limas Sweed was going to be a stud and was pissed when we didn't get him, another UT bust.

I guess I was wrong.

He is currently unemployed and rehanging an achilles.

I'm sure someone will invite Sweed to camp next year. It's like a free draft pick.

It's funny how much of the NFL is a copycat and trend league. The 2008 trend was big receivers.

Since then, the trend has been the small (mostly white) slot receivers. That's basically all the Patriots have: Welker, Edelman, Branch, Woodhead.

It's funny how much of the NFL is a copycat and trend league. The 2008 trend was big receivers.

Since then, the trend has been the small (mostly white) slot receivers. That's basically all the Patriots have: Welker, Edelman, Branch, Woodhead.

The Bills on the other hand, seem to be following the San Diego Chargers model with bigger receivers (Jackson, Floyd, Naanee, Ajirotutu).

It could be a shared philosophy for AJ Smith and Buddy Nix.

The Bills on the other hand, seem to be following the San Diego Chargers model with bigger receivers (Jackson, Floyd, Naanee, Ajirotutu).

It could be a shared philosophy for AJ Smith and Buddy Nix.

I could only hope. Plus I think only Malcolm Floyd was a 1st round pick so they were able to get those thoroughbreds cheap.

BTW, this should be one of the poster boy examples for why drafting for positions by needs can leave you with just plain nothing.

Scout: Well, the offense he was in was pure sandlot. Looks like some background questions...

Russ Brandon: Look at how tall he is! He's like a giraffe on stilts!

Fixed.

Having a General Manager (of football no less) is so overrated. Marketeers can handle that job and pawn games off onto those Rogers people at the same time!

Not just Stevie going 7th round but look at David Nelson and Donald Jones. Undrafted and having very promising rookie years.

It makes me think we should do nothing but draft big mean linemen on both sides of the ball for a few years until we get a better core.

+1

Add some linebackers and a tight end in there and watch out

Edited by LoyalToTheEnd

Big or small (David Nelson, Roscoe Parrish)