• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are the others?

Fairley-Auburn

Clayborne-Iowa

??

Marcell Dareus and Da'Quan Bowers are also beasts. I'd take any one of those 4 players on this team in a minute. But Fairley sure does look Bruce Smith like out there, causing havoc all day for opposing QB's.

Bowers from Clemson. Maybe the best pass rusher of this group.

The question becomes- what do we need more, a run stuffer or a pass rusher? Or is there a combo guy?

As bad as our run D is, I think we need a pass rusher on the outside. That way, Kyle Williams's primary job becomes cloging up the middle and eating up anyone who tries to get by. Right now, it seems like he is trying to do it all (and he's doing a good job too).

Adding a run stuffer doesnt fix both needs. Adding a pass rusher could.

Marcell Dareus and Da'Quan Bowers are also beasts. I'd take any one of those 4 players on this team in a minute. But Fairley sure does look Bruce Smith like out there, causing havoc all day for opposing QB's.

While he's not playing this year I might add Quinn to the list- The best pick also depends on whether we are going 3-4, 4-3, or a mix - right now I'd go Bowers and go 4-3 but I wouldn't cry about drafting Fairley either.

some people have character concerns about fairley and say he's a "dirty" player. I can only recall one play, where he hit Aaron Murray in the back a good 2 or 3 seconds after Murray had thrown a pass. Fairley is a beast.

There seem to be some really premier defensive linemen out there and Fairly is at or near the top of the list. I imagine there will be some moving around in post season evaluations and camp. I'm thinking our number one will be greared toward one of these stud players. I guess there are about four or five very good offensive tackles and one should definitely be there for our second round pick. Third round? A linebacker or tight end (Maybe Stocker from Tennessee might be there in the third.)

some people have character concerns about fairley and say he's a "dirty" player. I can only recall one play, where he hit Aaron Murray in the back a good 2 or 3 seconds after Murray had thrown a pass. Fairley is a beast.

I think we NEED some dirty on this team.

Bowers/Fairley are, IMO, the biggest physical beasts of the group. Marcell Dareus is very solid but Id take Bowers or Fairley over him. Quinn is another guy who is great but may be more of a 3-4 OLB 4-3 DE only, and not be a 3-4 DE option.

I was extremely impressed with how well Bowers plays against the run. I think Bowers is strong and big enough to play 3-4 DE, and is also athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB – which is pretty insane. He is a carbon copy of Peppers. He would be a 4-3 end obviously. Claiborne I was very unimpressed with this year. He seems to give up on a lot of plays and not try very hard. He is talented as hell but Id want more effort out of a top 5 pick.

If I am ranking the players today:

Bowers

Fairley

Dareus

Quinn

Claiborne

*Quinn may be higher but didn’t play this year, I rank him lower than Dareus bc he will likely slide in the draft this year just like Dez Bryant.

Bowers is still pretty raw in terms of pass rush and relies heavily on his speed and athleticism to get into the back field. Something that won't work like it has at the next level.

Dareus has work ethic concerns and I've reports where scouts say he takes plays off and doesn't go 100% all the time.

Fairley is a beast. The dirty player stuff doesn't worry me but the one year wonder thing does.

Quinn is another one year wonder with a ton of athleticism and speed. Can he play coverage in a 3-4 scheme? Who knows. Being suspended certainly may hurt his draft stock.

Bowers is still pretty raw in terms of pass rush and relies heavily on his speed and athleticism to get into the back field. Something that won't work like it has at the next level.

Dareus has work ethic concerns and I've reports where scouts say he takes plays off and doesn't go 100% all the time.

Fairley is a beast. The dirty player stuff doesn't worry me but the one year wonder thing does.

Quinn is another one year wonder with a ton of athleticism and speed. Can he play coverage in a 3-4 scheme? Who knows. Being suspended certainly may hurt his draft stock.

You said it. Anytime you get hot for a one-year wonder just think of Aaron Maybin to cool off.

PTR

Because right now, he seems to be a slam dunk for skill AND need....

I don't normally follow college ball too much, but I just happened to watch this past week's SEC Champeenship to look specifcally at 2 players who are rated highly - Cam Newton and Fairly.

As I watched Fairly, I kept thinking, "what's special about this guy?"

He looked slow and easily worn down.

My problem with college ball has always been the lack of balance in competition. Some weeks, the top ranked team will be playing the Crimson Tide, the next week, it's the UB Bulls. It's like any given NFL team playing one of those NFL Europe teams.

Even on any top college team you're going to have future NFL Pro Bowlers lined up next to next year's midnight shift burger chefs.

Maybe Fairly looks great against the former Kenmore West standouts, but I'd bet money he won't make much noise in the NFL. At least not if last week's effort against the Gamecocks is any indication of his talent level.

Bust.

Can anyone think of another team that has two #1's that would want to trade up with us? Anyone who may need a QB?

PTR

I also keep coming back to a scenario like this, PTR.

Is it just me, or does this draft class seem so weak that nobody even warrants a top 5 pick?