Any beer geeks in the philly area...check out this tap list...

The Poojer

I like their draft beer site. It has links to the brewery and the Beer Advocate rating page.

I notice they don't have Newcastle listed. I'd be surprised if they don't carry it. They do have Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, though. That's a great beer with food, IMO.

Having those Russian River offering on the east coast is a true treat. A few bars in Philly are the only ones RR will distribute to out east. Pliny is the best beer in existence IMO.

In Russian River right now. But here for the grapes not the hops.

In Russian River right now. But here for the grapes not the hops.

Have you ever tried any of RR's barrel aged beers? I has Supplication at a talk Vinnie Cilurzo gave at the national homebrewers conference a few years ago. Fantastic stuff.

Supplication: Brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries .

7.0%ABV / 1.064 O.G / 27 BUs

Silver Medal, 2007 GABF (Belgian-style Sour Ale)

Silver Medal, 2005 GABF (Belgian-style Sour Ale)

RR Barrel Aged Beers

If you head south these places are not bad either:

Flying Saucer Pubs

I used to go to the Flying Saucer here in Raleigh a lot. I don't make it down there as much as I used to these days. I was always struck by how little the bartenders and staff knew about beer though. Certain styles wouldn't be served in the proper glassware and most would just know if something was an ale or lager and it's a "dark beer". I guess I'm at the height of beer snobbery, but imo if you are going to have a place that caters to beer snobs and those that want to try new things you owe if to your customers to have a staff that at least has a decent knowledge of beer styles and presentation. They should make at least one person on shift be a basic certified cicerone

I was always struck by how little the bartenders and staff knew about beer though. Certain styles wouldn't be served in the proper glassware and most would just know if something was an ale or lager and it's a "dark beer". I guess I'm at the height of beer snobbery, but imo if you are going to have a place that caters to beer snobs and those that want to try new things you owe if to your customers to have a staff that at least has a decent knowledge of beer styles and presentation.

I don't think that's snobbery (although demanding a cicerone may be, not that there is anything wrong with that), that's just good sense. It also extends to other kinds of establishments. There is a local sports bar. 15-20 TVs, all the sports packages. Whenever I go in to request a particular game (Sabres, for example) nobody knows how to use the DTV schedule, program the TVs, etc. WTF?