New NC law makes it illegal to have license plate cover

boyst

Just another stupid law

I understand the importance for officers to see the tag number clearly and the registration being important. However, each year the color of the sticker changes and it is a dead give away if it is expired, not to mention that the part on the upper left hand means nothing! What is more interesting is that NC will soon have it's first ever toll road in the western part of Raleigh. It will not collect money at a booth and it will take pictures of your license plate and then send you a bill! That sounds like a real winning idea! Especially, because I am sure it will be run by a private company. Basically, this is a law made to help the toll road work that law officers support because it makes sense! Not to mention, license plates look terrible without a plate cover.

Also, many of us do live in NC and i just wanted to let ya'll know!

License plate frames and covers have been illegal in South Carolina for years.

Driving your car without proper headlites and driving with a paper bag over your favorite beverage is something I see here all the time.

They use the license plate for detecting your speed. Since the license plate is reflective, they point their speed detecting gun at the plate.

Totally untrue. Might use the license plate as the target for the laser, but that is it. It being reflective also has nothing to do with it. Radar bounces off the entire car.........

They don't like covers on license plates because they obscure the license plate.

Just another stupid law

I understand the importance for officers to see the tag number clearly and the registration being important. However, each year the color of the sticker changes and it is a dead give away if it is expired, not to mention that the part on the upper left hand means nothing! What is more interesting is that NC will soon have it's first ever toll road in the western part of Raleigh. It will not collect money at a booth and it will take pictures of your license plate and then send you a bill! That sounds like a real winning idea! Especially, because I am sure it will be run by a private company. Basically, this is a law made to help the toll road work that law officers support because it makes sense! Not to mention, license plates look terrible without a plate cover.

This is scheduled to be completed next year. This segment would extent to about a mile from my house and straight into RTP where I work. It would probably cut my commute time in half but I will never drive on that road.

I've never understood how a license plate frame that obscures part of the license plate could have ever been legal anywhere.

I agree it's stupid that it requires legislative action to make something that should be common sense enforceable under the law, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

Just another stupid law

Sorry JB I have to disagree with you here. Not being able to clearly see the license plate of a car you have pulled over can be very dangerous to a police officer. As former patrol officer, when making a vehicle stop the first thing I did was run the plate of the car to get an idea of who and what I might be dealing with. If a vehicle is stolen or the driver has prior convictions can be vital information to help keep the officer safe on the stop. Not having this information just adds another unknown into what can always be a potentially deadly situation.

Now, personally I think in a situation where I stopped someone for an infraction such as this I would use it as a reason to see if there is anything else I could get the driver for i.e. expired reg, no insurance, contraband,etc; which is really what these laws are supposed to be for. Would I write a driver for just solely having a plate cover? Probably not unless it was a repeat offender or they were particularly rude and uncooperative.

It's been illegal in California for years.

Now, if you're an illegal immigrant in an uninsured van with smoke billowing from the exhaust pipe while transporting two dozen illegal relatives in downtown San Francisco, THAT'S okay. Just as long as you don't have a cover on the license plate.

It's been illegal in California for years.

Now, if you're an illegal immigrant in an uninsured van with smoke billowing from the exhaust pipe while transporting two dozen illegal relatives in downtown San Francisco, THAT'S okay. Just as long as you don't have a cover on the license plate.

Chef having another party?

This is scheduled to be completed next year. This segment would extent to about a mile from my house and straight into RTP where I work. It would probably cut my commute time in half but I will never drive on that road.

It is a total sham! They are trying to rid out the "sweepstakes" which is just a fancy term for online video poker to those that don't know. In a recent study they found that this industry supports 10,000 employees in the state. The toll road will be privately run, as most people can figure but the fact that they will send us tickets to collect is hilarious. It will be just like outside of Bristol, where a private company runs speed cameras - you do not have to pay them, because they are not empowered to collect your money, or go after your money, and are not at all affiliated with law enforcement.

i think they should make DRIVING illegal for north carolinians....is the speed limit there really 85?...if you don't speed up or get out of the way, you get run over.

W

What? You don't like the NC Innerstate Speedway? Would you expect anything else in the state that embodies NASCAR?

Would I write a driver for just solely having a plate cover?

I understand your entire post and respect your perspective. However, I have to wonder when I drive thru Mt Airy and I see Barney, will Surry County need the money and ticket me? So, they solve the in-state residents and help the toll-way, but out of state residents would not changed. NC recently changed to red letters on their plates to avoid confusion with other states as it is. I just see it as a silly law that made no sense. But, I do disagree that some of those covers are over the top.

Sorry JB I have to disagree with you here. Not being able to clearly see the license plate of a car you have pulled over can be very dangerous to a police officer. As former patrol officer, when making a vehicle stop the first thing I did was run the plate of the car to get an idea of who and what I might be dealing with. If a vehicle is stolen or the driver has prior convictions can be vital information to help keep the officer safe on the stop. Not having this information just adds another unknown into what can always be a potentially deadly situation.

Now, personally I think in a situation where I stopped someone for an infraction such as this I would use it as a reason to see if there is anything else I could get the driver for i.e. expired reg, no insurance, contraband,etc; which is really what these laws are supposed to be for. Would I write a driver for just solely having a plate cover? Probably not unless it was a repeat offender or they were particularly rude and uncooperative.

The technology has really made a patrol officer's job safer. Now when you stop a vehicle your tag reader will zoom in on the tag and:

1) Read off DMV information to you, including vehicle registration information, make, model and color of vehicle. (good for IDing tags that don't belong on a vehicle)

2) Check for stolen status.

3) Check the vehicle's tag in active BOLOs (also known as ABP)over the past 7 days.

4) Tell you the history of the vehicle. Who has stopped that vehicle and what was the outcome.

5) It runs the vehicle owner's information for Driver History, Wanted Status, Terrorist Watch List and history with law enforcement (including witness, victim and suspect info). If the vehicle owner has violent tendencies or is known to carry a weapon, it will let you know of that.

The technology has really made a patrol officer's job safer. Now when you stop a vehicle your tag reader will zoom in on the tag and:

1) Read off DMV information to you, including vehicle registration information, make, model and color of vehicle. (good for IDing tags that don't belong on a vehicle)

2) Check for stolen status.

3) Check the vehicle's tag in active BOLOs (also known as ABP)over the past 7 days.

4) Tell you the history of the vehicle. Who has stopped that vehicle and what was the outcome.

5) It runs the vehicle owner's information for Driver History, Wanted Status, Terrorist Watch List and history with law enforcement (including witness, victim and suspect info). If the vehicle owner has violent tendencies or is known to carry a weapon, it will let you know of that.

Sounds great, only problem is I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in ACTUAL use...........

It is a total sham! They are trying to rid out the "sweepstakes" which is just a fancy term for online video poker to those that don't know. In a recent study they found that this industry supports 10,000 employees in the state. The toll road will be privately run, as most people can figure but the fact that they will send us tickets to collect is hilarious. It will be just like outside of Bristol, where a private company runs speed cameras - you do not have to pay them, because they are not empowered to collect your money, or go after your money, and are not at all affiliated with law enforcement.

W

What? You don't like the NC Innerstate Speedway?

we got caught outside of bristol by one of the cameras and the summons came from the town of blountville. i'm pretty certain they can haul you into court if you don't pay up.

and i wouldn't mind so much if it was only innerstate reckless driving...