A "Front 7" Mock Draft

Astrobot

I am using DraftTek's Big Board and Straight Pick (#2, #34, #66, #99, #131, #163, #195, can't pick a player listed earlier than that #, no trades). My goal is to buy time for Fitz and get after Marsha Brady.

RD1-Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Premium passrush, potential unlimited. Tossup with Dareus.

RD2-Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. Get RT early--Worst OT class in 7 yrs.-- LT, RT, OG and OC exp.

RD3-Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma. Beal does it all--strong side, blitz, standing pos and pass cover.

RD4-Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson. I'll take the Clemson bookends.

RD5-Don'ta Hightower,ILB, Alabama. Great anticipation in Auburn game. Stock will rise up to April.

RD6-Ryan Bartholomew, OC, Syracuse. Smart player, local draw.

RD7-Terry Griffin, NT, Elizabeth City State. 6'3", 340. Intercepted a pass, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had a sack, 4 tackles, and 2 tackles for loss all in the same game this year. My WTF pick!

Astro

I am using DraftTek's Big Board and Straight Pick (#2, #34, #66, #99, #131, #163, #195, can't pick a player listed earlier than that #, no trades). My goal is to buy time for Fitz and get after Marsha Brady.

RD1-Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Premium passrush, potential unlimited. Tossup with Dareus.

RD2-Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. Get RT early--Worst OT class in 7 yrs.-- LT, RT, OG and OC exp.

RD3-Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma. Beal does it all--strong side, blitz, standing pos and pass cover.

RD5-Don'ta Hightower,ILB, Alabama. Great anticipation in Auburn game. Stock will rise up to April.

RD7-Terry Griffin, NT, Elizabeth City State. 6'3", 340. Intercepted a pass, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had a sack, 4 tackles, and 2 tackles for loss all in the same game this year. My WTF pick!

Astro

I'd like a draft along those lines. Bowers plays at about 280, which seems fine for a 3-4 RDE--at least to me. Maybe it would help if he added 5 - 10 pounds, but I don't think he'd need to do more than that.

However, odds are the Bills won't be picking in the top-3, so Bowers might not be an option. If he's off the board when the Bills pick, they could think of adding a WR like A.J. Green, or a defensive lineman like Marcel Dareus. Having Green, Johnson, and Lee Evans on the field at once would give Fitzpatrick a lot of options.

Astro

I love Bowers, Beal, and Hightower!

I would maybe think about Sam Acho or Wayne Daniels with #99 if they were there or with the Seattle 4th.

That would give us another OLB.

I have never heard of Terry Griffin or Elizabeth City State but I like 6'3" 340.

That is really the key to all these mocks, if the coaching staff wants to continue the transition to a 3-4 they needs some LBs and depth at NT if you play Kyle and NT, although it seems to be a waste to have Kyle at NT when he is getting pressure and collapsing pockets at DT.

Either way the long term D strategy is a question.

I assume its a 3-4 long term but the Bills need about 5 more LBs to seriously consider this.

Beal, Hightower & Daniels would be a great start at LB.

If you think Fitz is the answer (And its looking like you might just have to with the way he is playing) at QB then you go OLB/pass rusher a real difference maker in the front 7 with the first pick. Then I think you go RT with the 2nd and then trade back up into the 2nd with our 3rd and 4th's and take a MLB (Still leaving a 4th from the Lynch trade). Then with the Lynch pick in the 4th go with a D-lineman or Tightend.

Our D needs linebackers so 2 out of our 1st 3 picks are linebackers. Our O-line needs a RT so our 2nd gets used on the O-line. So we get a lot more linebackering help and we get some o-line help as well.

astro..i really don't see Beal dropping all the way down to the third round. He's one of the top LB/DE in the country. the guy has put up insane numbers in college, and like you said, he can do it all playing the DE or LB position. I have us taking him in the first after trading down :thumbsup:

I love Pinkston in the 2nd round..and he could very well be there early in the 2nd.

I really love Jenkins as well..but he's a DT if I recall.

I'd be happy with that draft.

Edited by bobobonators

If you think Fitz is the answer (And its looking like you might just have to with the way he is playing) at QB then you go OLB/pass rusher a real difference maker in the front 7 with the first pick. Then I think you go RT with the 2nd and then trade back up into the 2nd with our 3rd and 4th's and take a MLB (Still leaving a 4th from the Lynch trade). Then with the Lynch pick in the 4th go with a D-lineman or Tightend.

Our D needs linebackers so 2 out of our 1st 3 picks are linebackers. Our O-line needs a RT so our 2nd gets used on the O-line. So we get a lot more linebackering help and we get some o-line help as well.

I think the Bills need to pursue the BEST FA LB and overpay a ton if you have to....Harris from the Jets?

astro..i really don't see Beal dropping all the way down to the third round. He's one of the top LB/DE in the country. the guy has put up insane numbers in college, and like you said, he can do it all playing the DE or LB position. I have us taking him in the first after trading down :thumbsup:

Beal is rated all over the place, mostly late first to mid second. Definitely don't see him in the 3rd very often but this is assuming the #64 pick which isn't impossible.

I like this draft too, However, this offense doesn't really need a TE, I'd rather take a Tackle in the second.

1. Jeremy Beal - DL/OLB - Oklahoma

2. Lance Kendricks - TE - Wisconsin

2. Dontay Moch - LB - Nevada

3. Sam Acho - DE - Texas

4. Kelvin Sheppard - LB - LSU

4. Clint Boling - OG/OT - Georgia

5. Greg Salas - WR - Hawaii

6. Devon Torrence - CB - Ohio State

7. Zach Hurd - OG - Connecticut

Beal, Moch, Acho, Mason Foster, Wayne Daniels, Martez Wilson, Akeem Ayers are all primary targets in rounds 2-4.

I'd be happy with 3 of those dudes.

If Someone wants to trade up for AJ Green, Prince, or Patrick Peterson I'd be happy if the Bills took it, so they could get 4 of those dudes.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Beal is rated all over the place, mostly late first to mid second. Definitely don't see him in the 3rd very often but this is assuming the #64 pick which isn't impossible.

I like this draft too, However, this offense doesn't really need a TE, I'd rather take a Tackle in the second.

1. Jeremy Beal - DL/OLB - Oklahoma

2. Lance Kendricks - TE - Wisconsin

2. Dontay Moch - LB - Nevada

3. Sam Acho - DE - Texas

4. Kelvin Sheppard - LB - LSU

4. Clint Boling - OG/OT - Georgia

5. Greg Salas - WR - Hawaii

6. Devon Torrence - CB - Ohio State

7. Zach Hurd - OG - Connecticut

Beal, Moch, Acho, Mason Foster, Wayne Daniels, Martez Wilson, Akeem Ayers are all primary targets in rounds 2-4.

I'd be happy with 3 of those dudes.

If Someone wants to trade up for AJ Green, Prince, or Patrick Peterson I'd be happy if the Bills took it, so they could get 4 of those dudes.

Ya, i guess the combine will ultimately determine where he goes (beal). Mason Foster is a beast as well, and I've been having issues over who I'd rather have: Moch or Foster. Could be a wash.

I'm in love with Acho, and though a bit raw still, if we were able to snag him in the 3rd or so this guy has top 15/25 potential.

As for the TE, i dunno man. I think what this offense needs is EXACTLY a nice big TE that can go through the middle to snag some balls - we don't have anyone (WR or TE) that can really do that. A top TE on this team would take the offense to the next level in my opinion. Nelson has done an OK job, but he's not elite. Lance Kendricks is a beast. We haven't had a premier TE in Buffalo since Metzelaars. I wanted Aaron Hernandez last year, I want Kendricks this year.

Ya, i guess the combine will ultimately determine where he goes (beal). Mason Foster is a beast as well, and I've been having issues over who I'd rather have: Moch or Foster. Could be a wash.

I'm in love with Acho, and though a bit raw still, if we were able to snag him in the 3rd or so this guy has top 15/25 potential.

As for the TE, i dunno man. I think what this offense needs is EXACTLY a nice big TE that can go through the middle to snag some balls - we don't have anyone (WR or TE) that can really do that. A top TE on this team would take the offense to the next level in my opinion. Nelson has done an OK job, but he's not elite. Lance Kendricks is a beast. We haven't had a premier TE in Buffalo since Metzelaars. I wanted Aaron Hernandez last year, I want Kendricks this year.

I think Mason Foster and Beal are the most ready to start on Week1 LBs. Where Moch and Acho imo will need to be coached up where they can be an every down backer. Moch could speed rush right away but I don't know if he would be ready for coverages and run stuffing. Acho is an athlete but yeah he is a raw tweener with a high ceiling.

If Foster, Beal, and Love were drafted by the Bills I would consider the draft a huge success that would lead to more Ws.

With those 3 you get some talent at LB, and you probably lock down the RT.

While a TE is nice to have, I don't think it would translate into more Ws right away.

Adding playmakers to me is a 2012 priority.

More LBs, a stud TE and or WR, and depth at O-line, maybe finally a Center or LG to move Wood to center in 2012.

I say this and I have a soft spot for TEs, Metzelars, Butch Rolle, and McKeller were my favs.

Kendricks is a beast but in general TEs take a couple years to develop.

They have to learn pass blocking, run blocking and route running.

Its a nice piece to have and something the Bills have a need for but if the decision is lock down RT or add a TE, I lock down RT.

Either way adding Kendricks should give the Bills a great player for many years.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think Mason Foster and Beal are the most ready to start on Week1 LBs. Where Moch and Acho imo will need to be coached up where they can be an every down backer. Moch could speed rush right away but I don't know if he would be ready for coverages and run stuffing. Acho is an athlete but yeah he is a raw tweener with a high ceiling.

If Foster, Beal, and Love were drafted by the Bills I would consider the draft a huge success that would lead to more Ws.

With those 3 you get some talent at LB, and you probably lock down the RT.

While a TE is nice to have, I don't think it would translate into more Ws right away.

Adding playmakers to me is a 2012 priority.

More LBs, a stud TE and or WR, and depth at O-line, maybe finally a Center or LG to move Wood to center in 2012.

I say this and I have a soft spot for TEs, Metzelars, Butch Rolle, and McKeller were my favs.

Kendricks is a beast but in general TEs take a couple years to develop.

They have to learn pass blocking, run blocking and route running.

Its a nice piece to have and something the Bills have a need for but if the decision is lock down RT or add a TE, I lock down RT.

Either way adding Kendricks should give the Bills a great player for many years.

more or less agree with you on everything..my mindset on Kendricks over picking a RT is that it's much harder to find a great TE in the lower rounds compared to finding a great RT, in lets say round 4 or 5. Plus, I'd still like to see what Wang has to offer the bills. If Pinkston is there in the 2nd, i'd have no problem picking him up..not crazy about any other OT at that point (unless a big name T like Love or Carimi drops to the second) over what we already have on the team. but ya, I'll agree w/you that a TE in the 2nd round is a bit of a stretch/luxury pick for the bills at this point. i'm starting to get psyched for this draft.

Astro

Be shocked if Beal is there in the 3rd. Also, dont we have two 4ths (Seattle)? With another 4th, who would you draft? Otherwise, if we could pull this off, we could be right up there with the best defensive front 7's in the league, provided we pickup another quality LB in FA.

What your draft highlights is how little this team needs to do in the secondary and talent positions on offense to be competitive ... it's mostly about the defensive front 7 and OLine. One thing thats missing though is our need to develop another RB to at some point replace an aging Jackson.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'd like a draft along those lines. Bowers plays at about 280, which seems fine for a 3-4 RDE--at least to me. Maybe it would help if he added 5 - 10 pounds, but I don't think he'd need to do more than that.

However, odds are the Bills won't be picking in the top-3, so Bowers might not be an option. If he's off the board when the Bills pick, they could think of adding a WR like A.J. Green, or a defensive lineman like Marcel Dareus. Having Green, Johnson, and Lee Evans on the field at once would give Fitzpatrick a lot of options.

We don't need a receiver, we need a pass rusher and a guy whose motor never stops like Williams. I personally like Von Miller as an OLB possibility if you watch that guy play you would agree with me. You might get him early in the second round or if we trade out of our number 1 pick at the bottom of the second. If we do pick 4 or 5 like i think we will you don't take a WR you take BPA in my opinion.

1. Robert Quinn OLB 6'5" 268

2. Marcus Cannon ROT 6'5" 350

3. Ryan Kerrigan OLB 6'4" 263

4. Matt Reynolds LOT 6'6" 329 ( yeah I know but I project he falls to 99 :nana: )

5. Mark Herzlich SLB 6'4" 238

6. Vince Browne OLB 6'5" 265

7. Phil Taylor NT 6'4" 355 Guy is a beast and will fly up the boards, it would be a miracle to get him in the 7th.

Astro

Getting after the QB is #1. First pick no matter what should be the best DE. Second over all pick for the Bills can be a QB for the future.

What about Gabe Carimi (OT), Wisconsin?

I think he'll stay for his Sr year but keep an eye on JJ Watt

Getting after the QB is #1. First pick no matter what should be the best DE. Second over all pick for the Bills can be a QB for the future.

I'm all over getting after the QB if we're going 3-4 doesn't that mean OLB?

1. Robert Quinn OLB 6'5" 268

2. Marcus Cannon ROT 6'5" 350

3. Ryan Kerrigan OLB 6'4" 263

4. Matt Reynolds LOT 6'6" 329 ( yeah I know but I project he falls to 99 :nana: )

5. Mark Herzlich SLB 6'4" 238

6. Vince Browne OLB 6'5" 265

7. Phil Taylor NT 6'4" 355 Guy is a beast and will fly up the boards, it would be a miracle to get him in the 7th.

Like this draft for size and needs. I'd take it.