NICE ARTICLE ON MIKE VICK

sleaky72

The NFL is the most followed professional sports league on the planet...it sends a bad message to everyone if they allow a non-repentant convicted felon back in the league...it's not like he couldn't play football elsewhere...UFL, CFL, Arena League

How do you know if he is sincere or not? How do you know he is as you state a "non-repentant convicted felon"? Why shouldn't he be allowed to return to the field? He went to prison, paid his fines and was subjected to a severe league suspension. Whatever penalties he has been subjected to he deserved. What more do you want?

For people like you who have such continuing hatred for him there will never be enough proof of contrition on his part to satisfy you. You know what-only he and his MAKER really know if he is sincere or not. At this point all you and I can go on is how he conducts himself. For me, I am satisfied with his conduct. For you, I don't think you will ever be satisfied. I wish him well and hope he stays on the right path. You don't wish him well and hope that he fails. To each his own.

Vick is a terrible piece of garbage and a disgrace to society.

however, with that said,

I also think he has "done his time" and does deserve a chance to be a better person. I'm not talking about being a better NFL player because that's terrible logic. All the stupid analysts keep commenting on "vick's redemption" because he's playing well. Playing well doesnt make you a better person, being a better person makes you a better person.

I'm willing to give Vick a chance to prove his worth to society off the field without judging him. If he is genuine, people will realize this, if he is faking this to keep his publicity stock high i will have no mercy for him then.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Vick is ripping it up on the football field and Brady is impressed, we should all forgive what he did. Can someone tell me how these two are related at all? I'm really unsure what the article is trying to say. Vick is playing great football, so as a result of this, people should forgive him for drowning and electrocuting dogs? What if he wasn't having an MVP season? No forgiveness then?

And all the pro-Vick people bring Big Ben or Stallworth into the argument, but I'm unsure what they have to do with Vick's past actions either. Good Strawman arguments though.

Edited by kas23

Hey, Dr. Phil(ster).....what exactly are you getting at here?

Besides your attack on the OP, this just might be the single most ridiculous post I've seen. I can just see your chest pump up with every stroke of the keyboard, right?

When you're done hugging Donte, come back over to me so I can explain to you just how bad, bad, bad drinking and driving is. Regardless of "how sorry" and "how responsible" he was......

HE KILLED A HUMAN BEING!!

When I'm done with that little reminder, I'll then drill into your thick skull that one lost HUMAN LIFE due to DRINKING and DRIVING trumps that of how ever many dogs were killed and tortured by Vick.

Are we clear?

ARE WE?!?!

Actually, he was denied it. It was a contract.

It's not the point. He paid the price that was on the law books. You don't like it, lobby to change the laws.

The simplicity of your thought process is amusing, if not disturbing.

How do you know if he is sincere or not? How do you know he is as you state a "non-repentant convicted felon"? Why shouldn't he be allowed to return to the field? He went to prison, paid his fines and was subjected to a severe league suspension. Whatever penalties he has been subjected to he deserved. What more do you want?

For people like you who have such continuing hatred for him there will never be enough proof of contrition on his part to satisfy you. You know what-only he and his MAKER really know if he is sincere or not. At this point all you and I can go on is how he conducts himself. For me, I am satisfied with his conduct. For you, I don't think you will ever be satisfied. I wish him well and hope he stays on the right path. You don't wish him well and hope that he fails. To each his own.

The phrase

"It's unfortunate this happened to me" sounds to many people like he sees himself as a victim...not someone who feels he was in the wrong...not that hard to understand for those of us who don't turn a blind eye to a criminal just because he can play a sport.

No convicted felon should be allowed to play in the highest profile sports league in the world...simple as that. Goodell screwed up and hurt the image of the league by allowing him back in and it'll come back to bite him when Vick gets in trouble again...and he will...he already got in some this past offseason.

I can't tell if Philster is trolling or not.

That's the sign of an A+ troll or a completely laughable human being. I kinda suspect it's just trolling. Do you guys remember that avatar he used to use of a doofy guy that was overjoyed he was able to convince a couple good looking girls to stand near him long enough to snap a photo? C'mon, that can't be real. I'm pretty sure it's all just an act.

I don't deny him the right to make a living and walk free. But I am of this strange group that thinks the NFL owners should be ashamed of themselves for letting POS people play on their teams. In my business, I'd fire Vick. And I'd have fired Moulds for choking that UB student and breaking down her door. And I'd fire others.

What Vick did is reprehensible. Rape stands. Beating a dog to death with his hands. Electrocuting dogs. Stealing normal pets and killing them with the fighting dogs to teach them how to be vicious. This was not a behavior he stopped doing...it is a behavior that the law stopped. Vick denied it and fought it. He's a dirtbag. Should he be allowed to walk free? Sure, I have no problem with that: He paid his debt. But should he be allowed to play a sport and get cheered by millions every week? No.

Going to prison isn't a reboot on life, love, and respect. It's punishment for the thing you did wrong. Sometimes your crime is so heinous that it sticks to you forever. Vick's is like that.

And before you say, "How come you didn't post when ___ did act X?" (a) I may have. And (b) act X was probably not done systematically for years and years.

Vick is a terrible piece of garbage and a disgrace to society.

however, with that said,

I also think he has "done his time" and does deserve a chance to be a better person. I'm not talking about being a better NFL player because that's terrible logic. All the stupid analysts keep commenting on "vick's redemption" because he's playing well. Playing well doesnt make you a better person, being a better person makes you a better person.

I'm willing to give Vick a chance to prove his worth to society off the field without judging him. If he is genuine, people will realize this, if he is faking this to keep his publicity stock high i will have no mercy for him then.

That about sums it up.

The NFL is the most followed professional sports league on the planet...it sends a bad message to everyone if they allow a non-repentant convicted felon back in the league...it's not like he couldn't play football elsewhere...UFL, CFL, Arena League

Unrepentant?

What is your problem? Reading or comprehension?

WEO, I want to make it clear that I wasn't referring to your well stated and understandable position on Vick. My response was more towards those who go ballistic at the mere mention of his name. I'm taken aback by some of the visceral hatred towards him and their view that he shouldn't be allowed to pursue his profession after he has gone through the penal process.

There is no doubt Vick has lost a lot because of his criminality. Whatever he lost he deserved. He did it to himself. There are some who don't care about him. That is fine. There are those who go beyond wishing that he fails in his profession. They don't even want to allow him the opportunity to reclaim his profession. That I disagree with. That was my central point.

I agree, John.

I don't understand how anyone can "hate" a sports figure. Or, conversely, how someone critical of a sports figure can be termed a "hater" simply by criticizing.

No one with any remote level of intelligence can actually think Stallworth is a worse person than Vick...who was involved in even more trouble this past offseason

If anyone truly believes people are putting animals above humans, please seek psychiatric help

First of all, I don't know Donte Stallworth or Michael Vick and either do you.

And yes.....MANY people love their dogs more than their fellow man. It's a common perversion in today's society.

It's also common for people who humanize dogs to eat the flesh of other domesticated animals whose entire life was little more than torture.

We aren't talking about killing human beings. Aside from war/self defense, there really is no instance where this is acceptable.

We are talking about killing domestic animals, something that is done every day by millions of people and to which billions more are complicit to.

There comes a point where you have to drop the whole "crimes against caninity" rant. That point was going to prison and then getting out and helping to prevent future abuse of animals. He has done that. You don't have to like him, but to act like he is incurably evil and you are innocent in the harming of God's creatures is perhaps a bit of a skewed viewpoint. Hypocritical even?

Every time you eat a piece of meat you are creating demand for more domestic animals to be slaughtered. What kind of person does that make you?

First of all, I don't know Donte Stallworth or Michael Vick and either do you.

And yes.....MANY people love their dogs more than their fellow man. It's a common perversion in today's society.

It's also common for people who humanize dogs to eat the flesh of other domesticated animals whose entire life was little more than torture.

We aren't talking about killing human beings. Aside from war/self defense, there really is no instance where this is acceptable.

We are talking about killing domestic animals, something that is done every day by millions of people and to which billions more are complicit to.

There comes a point where you have to drop the whole "crimes against caninity" rant. That point was going to prison and then getting out and helping to prevent future abuse of animals. He has done that. You don't have to like him, but to act like he is incurably evil and you are innocent in the harming of God's creatures is perhaps a bit of a skewed viewpoint. Hypocritical even?

Every time you eat a piece of meat you are creating demand for more domestic animals to be slaughtered. What kind of person does that make you?

Reading your backwards-thinking drivel may shed some light on why some prefer the company of loyal and loving dogs than their 'fellow' man.

Updated: November 19, 2010, 4:14 PM ETTime to forgive Vick is hereEmail Print By Rick Reilly

ESPN.com

Archive

Reported for quoting an entire article. As to you asshats that like Vick? You are utter losers. While I am in the forgive and forget mode as long as he is an Eagle, no way I want him on the bills.

It's pointless to question the "dog lovers" that still despise Vick. People who care for animals more than they do human beings have their own sociopathic issues.

But if the objective of this post is to blame the Bills failure to pursue Vick on those people, it's kind of a moot point. The Bills organization passed on Vick, not the fans.

The Eagles are a good franchise. They have been consistently good as long as the Bills have been consistently bad, which is saying something. They make a lot of good decisions.

The Bills have been lousy and they aren't lousy by accident. They got there by making an extraordinary amount of bad decisions the past 11-12 years and they have consistently missed the opportunities that winning teams do not. Drew Brees? Not needed. Kurt Warner? Washed up. The Bills have been a model for nothing ventured-nothing gained.

The team consistently does things the fanbase objects to and those moves usually turn out to be predictably bad. So when they don't do something they should have, even if the fans were also in favor of not doing it, you can't blame the fans.

There weren't many takers for Mike Vick. Plenty of successful organizations said "no thanks". I realize that laying it all out in a fairly reasoned way makes your opinion seem to hold water, but Vick was having a hard time convincing ANY team to take him.

I care about humans more than animals, but I know enough about sociopaths to know that Vick has exhibited many of the traits. We shall see how Vick handles success.....

The phrase

"It's unfortunate this happened to me" sounds to many people like he sees himself as a victim...not someone who feels he was in the wrong...not that hard to understand for those of us who don't turn a blind eye to a criminal just because he can play a sport.

You take a snippet of a comment from him and from that you make a ridiculous sweeping generalization about his lack of contrition. You are behaving like an Iranian Mullah who is prepared to stone someone who is believed to be inadequately devout.

No convicted felon should be allowed to play in the highest profile sports league in the world...simple as that. Goodell screwed up and hurt the image of the league by allowing him back in and it'll come back to bite him when Vick gets in trouble again...and he will...he already got in some this past offseason.

He didn't get in trouble this past offseason. The incident was investigated by the police, the league and the Eagles' organization. You might question his judgment in having an open party but he did nothing wrong. Some former associate was involved in a dispute and was told to leave. He responded by shooting off his gun outside. Vick left the scene before the shooting incident occurred. From your exaggerated version of an incident you make the leap that he did something wrong. He did not. You are entitled to intensely dislike MV. That is your prerogative. But to distort an incident to support your intense bias is shameful.

Edited by JohnC

There weren't many takers for Mike Vick. Plenty of successful organizations said "no thanks". I realize that laying it all out in a fairly reasoned way makes your opinion seem to hold water, but Vick was having a hard time convincing ANY team to take him.

I care about humans more than animals, but I know enough about sociopaths to know that Vick has exhibited many of the traits. We shall see how Vick handles success.....

I strongly suspect that virtually all teams discussed Vick and virtually all teams worried that A) it was unlikely that he would be back to his previous abilities after missing a couple years and B) it could be a public relations nightmare that may not be worth the risk.

That was two years ago.

With Vick playing the way he is, well beyond his previous abilities, and with him handling himself the way he is (although many may disagree), and with most of the American public ready to accept him back as a football star, I would bet that virtually all of the 32 teams would be interested in him now if they needed a QB.

I strongly suspect that virtually all teams discussed Vick and virtually all teams worried that A) it was unlikely that he would be back to his previous abilities after missing a couple years and B) it could be a public relations nightmare that may not be worth the risk.

That was two years ago.

With Vick playing the way he is, well beyond his previous abilities, and with him handling himself the way he is (although many may disagree), and with most of the American public ready to accept him back as a football star, I would bet that virtually all of the 32 teams would be interested in him now if they needed a QB.

I don't dispute this. What I dispute is that the Bills were somehow a poorly run franchise BECAUSE they passed on Vick, when other well run operations did the same. Am I wrong?