Should Nix Trade Spiller?

DFITZ1

A Rochester D&C article alluded that Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller because they didn't realize how good Fred Jackson is (I presume they knew Lynch was going to go). Assuming we have more need positions than draft or FA signings can fill, would it make sense to trade Spiller? Naturally, it would have to be the right deal, but considering we need a DT, OT, LB, TE, QB (franchise, that is), it might be a viable option. If we could get a #1 or #2 pick, or perhaps a player for player swap for one of the need positions, it might get us one step closer to playoffs in 2011. Trading for a quality TE would help the offense immensely.

Nope - Keep Him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked it took until the 4th page for someone to mention this. Forget all of the other rational reasons why trading Spiller is dumb, this is, first and foremost, the main reason why this would never be done!

Yo OP / FITZ, you think your a great GM in your own mind, but maybe you should take a course in Salary Cap 101. They have this thing called a "salary cap" in the NFL....learn it, understand it before you take that GM job! <_<

YM - I have never called myself a GM. My idea was nothing more than a brainstorm to get a "player of the future" at a critical need position. Trading a "player of the future" at a lower need position is one possible way. If such a deal doesn't arise, then you don't make the deal. I never meant to trade Spiller outright. BTW - brainstorming is a well-known technique for developing innovative solutions to difficult problems. Often, the initial idea is outlandish, but is built upon to formulate the final solution which can more innovative and more effective than following conventional techniques. Heck, Bill Polian's idea to get Cornelius Bennett was first considered outlandish and nuts, but was built upon, a final solution (a 3-way trade) was executed and a critical need was filled that led to the playoffs the following year. It was done by trading Tony Hunter who was a good TE who continued with a good career in LA, but the Bills filled the TE position easily, by getting Bennett, became a powerhouse.

What? for a 3rd or 4th round pick? He has no value beyond that because no one has seen what he can do yet. No way...You keep him and later you trade him when he has proven value...or you dont. You wont get the ninth pick in round #1 ever for him....

exactly, he is ours pure and simple

I give you a lot of credit Fitzy. Creating a thread stating that we should trade Spiller was absurd, but at least you stuck around to defend yourself. Big props :thumbsup:

Thank you - if Obama can do it, so can I! However, that does not mean I agree with Obama all the time.

He is the best athlete on the team - I disagree. Evans, McKelvin, Mcgee they all share the same build, same or better 40 time, and are all more proven than Spiller. On top of that, I think Kyle Williams is the best athlete on the team. To be 300+ pounds at only 6'1'' and to be as quick and strong as he is is much more impressive than being one of 5-10 players ont eh team that can run a sub 4.4 forty. Wood or Levitre too. Beside, I don’t want great athletes I want football players, there are plenty of great athletes who stink at football. Whitner, better athlete, Jim Leonard, better safety - take your pick Al Davis.

Spiller needs a solid RT and TE to be good but Lynch and Jackson don’t? Doesn’t that make Spiller the worst of the three? He is not an inside runner - I know, which is why I don’t think he is ever going to be a very good RB. He needs to be used in space but we cant figure out how, yea I know, its the NFL, space is hard to come by, which is why you need RBs who are good in between the tackles. So now we have an awesome athlete at RB whose supposed talents we cannot seem to utilize, whether that’s Spillers fault or not is moot, because that’s the definition of a bad draft pick.

Dude, stop. Spiller was the consensus best athelete in the draft. He's also the fastest player on the team (ran a 4.28 at the combine. Chris Johnson was 4.24). Not only that, he's the most elusive besides maybe Roscoe. The punt return he had on the play he got hurt was nasty. The kickoff return TD was unbelieveable. How about the TD he had in the preseason against the Colts? He looked like Barry Sanders. He has the skills and is NOT Heyward-Bey or Russell or whoever else you want to compare him to on the Raiders.

I don't know what to say man - just wait. Agree to disagree. IMO he's explosive and will have a great career.

Dude, stop. Spiller was the consensus best athelete in the draft. He's also the fastest player on the team (ran a 4.28 at the combine. Chris Johnson was 4.24). Not only that, he's the most elusive besides maybe Roscoe. The punt return he had on the play he got hurt was nasty. The kickoff return TD was unbelieveable. How about the TD he had in the preseason against the Colts? He looked like Barry Sanders. He has the skills and is NOT Heyward-Bey or Russell or whoever else you want to compare him to on the Raiders.

I don't know what to say man - just wait. Agree to disagree. IMO he's explosive and will have a great career.

youtube.com/watch?v=6vA8wC1Aph0

I dont know how many times I will have to post this, but Spiller ran a 4.37 at the Comine. Jacoby Ford, who ironically plays for the Raiders, ran the 4.28

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

Consensus best athelete, by athelete do you mean skill position? How can anyone guage athletic ability? Id say Suh was the best athlete with his size, strength, and quickness. Athletic abilty cannot be measured or compared between positions. besides, I know Spiller is a better athlete than Jackson, but guess who the better RB is - the worse athlete.

PS if you mean skill position player, Mayock and others had D Bryant as a better prospect - something I think Bryant is living up to. Me personally, I thought Spiller was the 3rd best pure RB behind Gerhart and Best.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8171c657/article/bryant-beats-out-bradford-as-drafts-top-offensive-prospect

What have you seen, in the NFL, that makes him the most elusive on the team. That is my point, he hasnt shown that, preseason doesnt count bc half of those guys are flipping burgers now - yet fans still go on believing it is true. McKelvin is producing more as a KR too.

Edited by Thoner7

I don’t know how many times I will have to post this, but Spiller ran a 4.37 at the Comine. Jacoby Ford, who ironically plays for the Raiders, ran the 4.28

Consensus best athelete, by athelete do you mean skill position? How can anyone guage athletic ability? Id say Suh was the best athlete with his size, strength, and quickness. Athletic abilty cannot be measured or compared between positions. besides, I know Spiller is a better athlete than Jackson, but guess who the better RB is - the worse athlete.

PS if you mean skill position player, Mayock and others had D Bryant as a better prospect - something I think Bryant is living up to. Me personally, I thought Spiller was the 3rd best pure RB behind Gerhart and Best.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8171c657/article/bryant-beats-out-bradford-as-drafts-top-offensive-prospect

What have you seen, in the NFL, that makes him the most elusive on the team. That is my point, he hasnt shown that, preseason doesnt count bc half of those guys are flipping burgers now - yet fans still go on believing it is true. McKelvin is producing more as a KR too.

Do you watch football? The guy makes guys miss. That would be my definition of elusive. Combine tape is below - 4.28.

"Consensus best athelte" - that was said by dozens of experts. The same dozens of experts that predicted the Bills win 2-4 games when everyone on this board called them idiots and we would win 7-9 games.

When I'm talking about an athelte, it is someone who can transcend the football field in addition to dominating on it. Spiller could play many sports on high levels. He can also play RB, PR, KR and WR. Guys like Carl Crawford, Joe Mauer, Frank Thomas, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson.. keep going. Spiller is one of the best track and field atheltes in the country. I don't know any other guys on the team like that (maybe McKelvin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnDxSd-DGzU

I don’t know how many times I will have to post this, but Spiller ran a 4.37 at the Comine. Jacoby Ford, who ironically plays for the Raiders, ran the 4.28

thoner, just stop. I can remember you flippin out on draft day. and you're still not over it. You're one of the top 5 bitchers on this board. He was clearly the BPA when we picked. He's a special talent. he may not be producing where he should be just yet, but he'll get there. you're right about Suh though being the better athelete, thats why he went #2. And WHY cant athletic ability be compared between positions? that doesn't make any sense.

Do you watch football? The guy makes guys miss. That would be my definition of elusive. Combine tape is below - 4.28.

"Consensus best athelte" - that was said by dozens of experts. The same dozens of experts that predicted the Bills win 2-4 games when everyone on this board called them idiots and we would win 7-9 games.

When I'm talking about an athelte, it is someone who can transcend the football field in addition to dominating on it. Spiller could play many sports on high levels. He can also play RB, PR, KR and WR. Guys like Carl Crawford, Joe Mauer, Frank Thomas, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson.. keep going. Spiller is one of the best track and field atheltes in the country. I don't know any other guys on the team like that (maybe McKelvin).

youtube.com/watch?v=mnDxSd-DGzU

Thats a hand timed estimation. He ran a 4.37 laser timed 40. Laser as in 100% accurate.

Yes I watch a lot of football, pro and college. I have yet to see Spiller do in the NFL what he did in College. And that goes for everyone because he hasnt done it.

thoner, just stop. I can remember you flippin out on draft day. and you're still not over it. You're one of the top 5 bitchers on this board. He was clearly the BPA when we picked. He's a special talent. he may not be producing where he should be just yet, but he'll get there. you're right about Suh though being the better athelete, thats why he went #2. And WHY cant athletic ability be compared between positions? that doesn't make any sense.

Geeze, thanks for making it personal. Clearly BPA sounds like you are drinking the Koolaid and can regurgitate what other people say, good for you. That opinion has really held up too hasnt it? O and why should I be over it? Is it because the Bills are playoff bound and loaded with talent? Or maybe because Spiller has been so super awesome this year and a huge part of our success. You act like the main reason this team has stunk for 10 years isnt our terrible drafting. I have every right to be furious when they blow 1st round picks and the team remains completely devoid of talent at the most important positions.

And you can try to compare a 64 300+lb athlete to a 510 190 lber but good luck. Its apples to oranges in every regard. There is no common ground to base anything on.

Edited by Thoner7

A Rochester D&C article alluded that Nix/Gailey drafted Spiller because they didn't realize how good Fred Jackson is (I presume they knew Lynch was going to go). Assuming we have more need positions than draft or FA signings can fill, would it make sense to trade Spiller? Naturally, it would have to be the right deal, but considering we need a DT, OT, LB, TE, QB (franchise, that is), it might be a viable option. If we could get a #1 or #2 pick, or perhaps a player for player swap for one of the need positions, it might get us one step closer to playoffs in 2011. Trading for a quality TE would help the offense immensely.

They should definitely trade spiller. Then they should trade away Kyle williams, Steve Johnson, and blow up the Ralph with the rest of the team in it. All of these moves would be equally sensible.

Moron.

This post is utterly outlandish

It most certainly is. However, many thought that when Bill Polian first brought up the idea of trading for Cornelius Bennett in '87 was outlandish. In time, the deal got worked out (trading TE Tony Hunter and a couple high round draft choices in a 3-way deal between the Bills-Rams-Colts) and a critical need at LB got filled (with a untested player) and the next year Bills go to the AFC Championship. I don't mean trade Spiller for whatever you can get. That is crazy. But filling big gaps in talent may need big deals IF they can be made (that's what differentiates Polian from Donahoe), and if one can be put together, it may be the ticket out of mediocrity. If a deal isn't there, forget it.

It most certainly is. However, many thought that when Bill Polian first brought up the idea of trading for Cornelius Bennett in '87 was outlandish. In time, the deal got worked out (trading TE Tony Hunter and a couple high round draft choices in a 3-way deal between the Bills-Rams-Colts) and a critical need at LB got filled (with a untested player) and the next year Bills go to the AFC Championship. I don't mean trade Spiller for whatever you can get. That is crazy. But filling big gaps in talent may need big deals IF they can be made (that's what differentiates Polian from Donahoe), and if one can be put together, it may be the ticket out of mediocrity. If a deal isn't there, forget it.

It was Greg Bell, not Tony Hunter that The Bills traded as well as two number ones and a number two.

The Colts also traded their number 1 and two number twos and RB Owen Gill and got Eric Dickerson.

What went down.

A huge difference between the 1988 squad and this year's version of The Bills is that we're nowhere near the talent level of the '88 Bills. Nowhere. That, and the trading deadline passed about a month ago.

You don't start throwing the planks and ribs of a boat overboard and get a bigger engine in an effort to make it go faster during duck season. You'll lose the boat in deep water.

as with any of these trade scenarios, it all depends on what you can get...if you could get joe thomas or jake long for spiller, of course you would do it (at least i would) but the problem is, you'd never get anywhere close to that...for one, trades don't work that way anymore, and two, running backs are far too interchangeable (another reason why it was dumb to draft yet another RB at 9th) and therefore have less trade value than other positions

Running Backs are interchangeable, huh? So you could swap out Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson for Felix Jones or Justin Forsett with no effect on the team? You could have dropped Thurman Thomas from the 90s Bills and had the same team? I'm sorry to express this like an ass, it's just that I'm tired of all the absolutes. The Bills drafted Spiller because they see someone who is more than an average RB or even a good RB, but s game-changer who brings a unique set of qualities, a guy who can break for a touchdown at any point, can catch a long bomb, etc. The sort of player who forces you to account for him on every play or else pay the price. So far (after half a season active), he has shown very little of these qualities (as it is with most rookies). There's a chance (as with every draftee) that he never will. However, I give the FO credit for taking the BPA rather than taking an offensive lineman with much more downside.