Being a Black QB; It Must be Tough

Rob's House

Perception of Black QBs  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think race affects black QBs?

• It's like Jim Crow out there
    • There may be a little more scrutiny on them
    • Teams are just concerned with winning
    • They often get a pass by media types who don't want to offend

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly, the author is racist. I'm never thinking about race when I come to this site or any other site any other situation, for that matter. I see all sorts of stories about all sort of things and race is never on my mind until some jerk decides to bring it up. In my experience, the person who FIRST interjects race into any discussion or topic, *IS* the racist. Just listen to NPR or watch public television and it's the same thing. They are always talking about race. IMO, that hints that THEY are in fact the racists.

+ 2 on that.

KD, I don't think NaPolian is wrong...why is he an idiot? Well, at least in reference to this comment? I think most people here woudl accept a black head coach or QB for the Bills, but I think there is still a sizeable group of folks that wouldn't. Not just Bills fans, but NFL fans in general, as it relates to their team. Nobody posts it here, because they know they would get asmonshed profusely by other TBD'ers...but I am sure there are those who would have been petrified if the Bills had signed Michael Vick or hired Perry Fewell as their HC. And I don't think the crime Vick committed, or the "inexperience" of Fewell would have been the driving factors behind their objections.

I have a relative, who is white, who grew up loving the NBA, but now has no problem hating it, because it is a "n***er sport"...this same person swore he would never watch another Bills game if they signed Vick (and this is no dog lover) or hired Perry Fewell. It sounds vile, or crazy, but I don't think those sentiments are all that uncommon...the world of the internet, and the real world are two different things...I think it is pretty sad, and I would love to think it isn't true, but I think it is very true.

Well played. :)

Thanks for the support, though. It's almost as if these posters didn't grow up in Western New York. To completely deny that racism still exists strongly amongst many in the area is a bit silly.

I've offered WAY more juicy fodder in the past than my posts in this this thread to get called an idiot over.

Edited by NaPolian8693

The most racist thing in teh NFL is the Rooney rule, which REQUIRES teams to interview a coach BASED SOLEY ON RACE AND RACE ALONE - thats teh deffinition of racism, is it not?

I am still waiting for the rule which requires teams to have a certian number of white players on the active roster - because they are just as good of football players and deserve an equal opportunity!!!

PS - I am still in favor of signing Vick and/or Vince Young and/or trading for McNabb and would be totally cool with Warran Moon being a coach.

Edited by Thoner7

This is ridculous. Racism is alive and well in the U.S., no doubt. But to say it has anything to do with NFL quarterbacks is insane.

i consider myself somewhat of a casual expert on race issues and i have to agree, color doesnt appear to be a factor with nfl quarterbacks to me either

they all look the same to me anyway. quarterbacks i mean

I HATE the Rooney Rule...for the reason stated! Sometimes while trying to right a wrong, another wrong is committed!

In the Rooney Rule's defense...it doesn't require a certain percentage of coaches to be black. It only requires that a black coach be interviewed for every vacancy. One might consider the difference minor...but it's pretty significant, as it recognized that the bias needing breaking in the league wasn't overt racism but merely covert favoritism (in that it wasn't a "We're not going to hire blacks" attitude, but a "We're not going to hire out of our clique" bias), and more importantly that it still required minority candidates to earn the job on their merits.

I hated the rule at first; it took me a while to realize how subtle the wisdom was behind it: it's inclusive rather than exclusive (in that merely interviewing a black candidate doesn't preclude interviewing any other candidate you might want to talk to), and its focus is equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome. Is it racist? Hell, yes - it relies on franchises to make at least one discrimination based on skin color. But as equal opportunity policies go, you're not likely to find a smarter one. Much as I dislike Jesse Jackson's race baiting tactics, I've got to give him props for this rule.

In the Rooney Rule's defense...it doesn't require a certain percentage of coaches to be black. It only requires that a black coach be interviewed for every vacancy. One might consider the difference minor...but it's pretty significant, as it recognized that the bias needing breaking in the league wasn't overt racism but merely covert favoritism (in that it wasn't a "We're not going to hire blacks" attitude, but a "We're not going to hire out of our clique" bias), and more importantly that it still required minority candidates to earn the job on their merits.

I hated the rule at first; it took me a while to realize how subtle the wisdom was behind it: it's inclusive rather than exclusive (in that merely interviewing a black candidate doesn't preclude interviewing any other candidate you might want to talk to), and its focus is equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome. Is it racist? Hell, yes - it relies on franchises to make at least one discrimination based on skin color. But as equal opportunity policies go, you're not likely to find a smarter one. Much as I dislike Jesse Jackson's race baiting tactics, I've got to give him props for this rule.

Great response Tom...very insightful...still not buying.

I don't think there is any validity to this thread. If a Randall Cunningham or a Steve McNair were available today, do you think someone would want them for their QB? Teams would be standing in line to sign them!. If this is about the Vince Young issue, it isn't a race thing. It's an insubordination issue from a guy who should be thinking about what's best for his team, and not his own glory.

I hated the rule at first; it took me a while to realize how subtle the wisdom was behind it: it's inclusive rather than exclusive (in that merely interviewing a black candidate doesn't preclude interviewing any other candidate you might want to talk to), and its focus is equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome.

That is as on the money as it gets.

If a Randall Cunningham or a Steve McNair were available today, do you think someone would want them for their QB?

I don't know. I think McNair's probably lost quite a bit of mobility.

I don't know. I think McNair's probably lost quite a bit of mobility.

I know, obviously McNair's dead and Randall retired 9 years ago. But if either was available in their prime, I can't imagine a team not wanting either one because of his race.

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

Clearly, the author is racist. I'm never thinking about race when I come to this site or any other site any other situation, for that matter. I see all sorts of stories about all sort of things and race is never on my mind until some jerk decides to bring it up. In my experience, the person who FIRST interjects race into any discussion or topic, *IS* the racist. Just listen to NPR or watch public television and it's the same thing. They are always talking about race. IMO, that hints that THEY are in fact the racists.

Is that statement in bold the equivalent of the old high school saying, "he who smelt it, dealt it."?

Also, people who start a conversation by saying, "I never think about race" are suspect closet racists in my book. Just saying.

Racism works both ways.... I am white and I know plenty of black or Hispanic people who hate white people...

TO realty said that? That's like saying he is pretty smart for a black guy......

I am not in a position to comment for ethnic minorities but this ranks as sheer ignorance.

Equating a minority having issues with White people to Reverse discrimination is like asking the Zebra why he doesnt like the Lion!

Give me a friggin break

I am not in a position to comment for ethnic minorities but this ranks as sheer ignorance.

Equating a minority having issues with White people to Reverse discrimination is like asking the Zebra why he doesnt like the Lion!

Give me a friggin break

So bigotry only matters if you're white?

Jamele Hill is Jason Whitlock with titties.

I was going to say she is to espn.com what Rod Watson is to the Buffalo News. A one trick pony who takes any issue and makes it about race.

But, I disagree with the couple of people here who compare her to Whitlock. Whitlock might talk about race quite a bit. But, he more often comes down on the side of we've got to shut up as blacks - this is not a race issue. He also calls out the black community for a lot of it's own problems. He hates Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. and says they don't speak for him.

Because of all that, when he says something is a race issue, I perk up and read about it. When it's Hill or Watson, I keep moving.

So bigotry only matters if you're white?

Er in the age of the internet there is no excuse for being ignorant!

There is a big difference between Prejudice and racism?

If u need that much help I will aid your education.

Everyone harbors prejudice!!!! It could manifest itself against women, tall people, poor people and the list goes on.....

Racism on the other hand is a form of prejudice based on the feeling of one's race being superior to the other!!

And last time I checked in America, latinos and blacks were not depriving White people of their rights or access to success because they felt that White people were inferior!!!

If anything they might be prejudiced towards WHite people because of wrongs both real or perceived!

Is that statement in bold the equivalent of the old high school saying, "he who smelt it, dealt it."?

Also, people who start a conversation by saying, "I never think about race" are suspect closet racists in my book. Just saying.

Two thumbs Up!!!!

Talk about bar stool philosophy!!!

Well played. :)

Thanks for the support, though. It's almost as if these posters didn't grow up in Western New York. To completely deny that racism still exists strongly amongst many in the area is a bit silly.

I've offered WAY more juicy fodder in the past than my posts in this this thread to get called an idiot over.

I grew up in Buffalo, and have lived in Baltimore, Atlanta, New York City, and now Austin...I can tell you, racism is not just a southern thing...some of the worst red-necks I have ever known were in WNY...

Racism works both ways.... I am white and I know plenty of black or Hispanic people who hate white people...

TO realty said that? That's like saying he is pretty smart for a black guy......

TO said that Fitz was "pretty fast for a white boy".

Er in the age of the internet there is no excuse for being ignorant!

There is a big difference between Prejudice and racism?

If u need that much help I will aid your education.

Everyone harbors prejudice!!!! It could manifest itself against women, tall people, poor people and the list goes on.....

Racism on the other hand is a form of prejudice based on the feeling of one's race being superior to the other!!

And last time I checked in America, latinos and blacks were not depriving White people of their rights or access to success because they felt that White people were inferior!!!

If anything they might be prejudiced towards WHite people because of wrongs both real or perceived!

Two thumbs Up!!!!

Talk about bar stool philosophy!!!

What does any of this have to do with anything? I'm completely aware of the difference between prejudice and racism. Racism among racial minorities is not only real, but prevalent. Not to mention, I fail to see how minorities hating another race is not racism, as they clearly think they are superior if they have such disdain for white people.

But hey, It's ok to hate white people, as long as you blame the mythical "white man" that is holding you back.