Why can't Fitz be the face of the franchise?

I regularly read the Buffalo Rumblings blog on SB Nation, and I enjoy their insightful analysis. However, reading the comments sections of a recent article, one of the mods claimed that Fitzpatrick just doesn't have it in him to be a franchise QB.

My question is, why not? Yes, there are things he needs to work on, but he's well-respected and is a true leader on the field (just watch him try and throw blocks down field). He really seems to be thriving in Gailey's system and has great rapport with his receivers. At this point in the season he's projected to finish with about 25 TDs and 12.5 interceptions. He's able to make plays with his feet and has a good handle of reading the field.

I like it even from a marketing standpoint. The smart, tough, scrappy Fitzpatrick would be an awesome angle for the Bills, something we could really embrace as an identity, especially considering Buffalo's blue-collar populace.

This is all variable on Fitzpatrick playing at his current rate, and to be honest, it is hard to see him continue on pace to do so well with some really tough defenses coming down the stretch. However, if he does keep it up, he's earned himself at least a shot at another year.

simple because he is the most inaccurate QB in the league and will break your heart with a pick or bouncing the ball off the turf @ the most crucial times in a game just like he did in the KC and Chicago games.

imo his inaccuracy and knack for throwing horrible ints @ the worst times cost us both those games.

he is what he is a backup QB who does not possess the physical skills that the great QB's in the league do.

another perfect example was this sunday. the game should never have been close if fitz could throw the ball.

in the first 10 minutes of the game he had receivers wide open in the end zone all by themselves and he threw the ball each time 5 feet over their heads.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

simple because he is the most inaccurate QB in the league and will break your heart with a pick or bouncing the ball off the turf @ the most crucial times in a game just like he did in the KC and Chicago games.

imo his inaccuracy and knack for throwing horrible ints @ the worst times cost us both those games.

he is what he is a backup QB who does not possess the physical skills that the great QB's in the league do.

another perfect example was this sunday. the game should never have been close if fitz could throw the ball.

in the first 10 minutes of the game he had receivers wide open in the end zone all by themselves and he threw the ball each time 5 feet over their heads.

Fitz is ranked ahead of alot of franchise QB's in fact 19th out of 34. and how do you blame these losses on him especially when the D gives up almost 400 yds to Detroit, 445 to NE, 444 to Jets, 381 to Jags, 364 to Balt, 414 to KC, 283 to Chicago, Im thinking that will kill most teams in this league no matter who the QB is! With more work and an O-line that is alot better, a running game that can pull good numbers week to week, and a Defense that can stop somebody for once, Fitz is definitely a Franchise QB.

Edited by cjbill69

Fitzy has the most elusive and important QB attribute - the ability to quickly read a defense and make a decision. What good was JP's stronger, more accurate arm when he could never figure out where to throw the ball? And isn't accuracy also a function of receivers running accurate routes? And the offensive line giving the QB enough time? I say give Fitzy more time to establish some chemistry with this group before writing him off. How long did it take Peyton in Indy?

I'm not going to stop pounding this drum:

Do big plays only happen in the fourth quarter? Does he not make big plays on third down throughout the games? If he has the physical tools then, how is it they suddenly disappear when he has to make what you call "big plays." I contend he makes big plays throughout every contest.

So since he HAS proven he has the physical tools to make plays, is it not a mental thing in the clutch?

And if that's the case, by your own admission he has the "brain to succeed" so won't he eventually overcome the mental hurdles keeping him from making the SAME big plays at the ends of games??

Please somebody address this. I'm sick of making this point only to have another dolt come along and say "oh, he doesn't have the physical tools."

Somebody please refute the point I've just made. PLEASE. Anybody.

Most NFL QB's do not make some of the throws that Fitz does. Such as: the horrifically underthrown ball to Steve Johnson late in the Detroit game that would have sealed the victory. The underthrown ball against the Bears that was picked in the 4th. And what about the floater that was picked late in the KC game? Fitz does not suck. But he does not make a LOT of big plays. Compared to who we have had playing before at QB-he makes plays. But he is completing 15-20 yrd square ins. Those are passes that NFL QB's are SUPPOSED to make every time. Us Bills fans are just not used to it. What separates the mediocre from the excellent is making plays at crunch time when the game hinges in the balance. Any QB can complete passes early in games. No pressure at that point. Do it with the game on the line and that wins games. Unfortunately, Fitzie has not done that. Will that change? I don't see how. He does not have the cannon to do that. And his accuracy for a pro QB is awful. Is he fun to watch? Yes. But will he win a lot of games for us? Very doubtful. The proof is in the pudding. Your QB needs to lead your team to victory, not be a complimentary part. Fitzie has just not done that.

Most NFL QB's do not make some of the throws that Fitz does. Such as: the horrifically underthrown ball to Steve Johnson late in the Detroit game that would have sealed the victory. The underthrown ball against the Bears that was picked in the 4th. And what about the floater that was picked late in the KC game? Fitz does not suck. But he does not make a LOT of big plays. Compared to who we have had playing before at QB-he makes plays. But he is completing 15-20 yrd square ins. Those are passes that NFL QB's are SUPPOSED to make every time. Us Bills fans are just not used to it. What separates the mediocre from the excellent is making plays at crunch time when the game hinges in the balance. Any QB can complete passes early in games. No pressure at that point. Do it with the game on the line and that wins games. Unfortunately, Fitzie has not done that. Will that change? I don't see how. He does not have the cannon to do that. And his accuracy for a pro QB is awful. Is he fun to watch? Yes. But will he win a lot of games for us? Very doubtful. The proof is in the pudding. Your QB needs to lead your team to victory, not be a complimentary part. Fitzie has just not done that.

Which Bills team do you watch?

Which non-Bills teams do you watch?

Did you watch the Bears post-game press conference? Did you hear Fitz diagnose the "underthrown" pass to Johnson?

Johnson could and should have made a play on the ball last week.

But assuming the three plays you've mentioned are non-debatable, great, he's had three bad plays, two of which were made in games we were already losing.

You mean to tell me theses passes define his season? That he makes no other throws in clutch situations? Throws that KEEP us in games in spite of our turnstyle defense?

Again, I bring up all the third and long he's completed, the late fourth quarter touchdown pass to Roscoe against KC that forced OT in the first place, and yet these three plays (debatable save the Berry pick, though they are) continually trump everyone's perception of what he can and can't do.

You're flat out wrong to say he doesn't make big plays. Wrong, my friend.

And you say that elite quarterbacks make plays in the clutch. You mean to tell me that elite quarterbacks can ALWAYS be relied on to make those big plays? Because from where I'm sitting, even with the three blunders you've mentioned, the drive to force OT against KC, the drive to force OT against Baltimore, and the drive to score before the half against Chicago offset the mistakes you've mentioned to SOME measurable degree.

Other than that, awesome analysis, Captain Pissy Pants.

Did you watch the Bears post-game press conference? Did you hear Fitz diagnose the "underthrown" pass to Johnson?

But assuming the three plays you've mentioned are non-debatable, great, he's had three bad plays, two of which were made in games we were already losing.

You mean to tell me theses passes define his season? That he makes no other throws in clutch situations? Throws that KEEP us in games in spite of our turnstyle defense?

Again, I bring up all the third and long he's completed, the late fourth quarter touchdown pass to Roscoe against KC that forced OT in the first place, and yet these three plays (debatable save the Berry pick, though they are) continually trump everyone's perception of what he can and can't do.

And you say that elite quarterbacks make plays in the clutch. You mean to tell me that elite quarterbacks can ALWAYS be relied on to make those big plays? Because from where I'm sitting, even with the three blunders you've mentioned, the drive to force OT against KC, the drive to force OT against Baltimore, and the drive to score before the half against Chicago offset the mistakes you've mentioned to SOME measurable degree.

excellent post. how many times do we QB's underthrow a ball, and simply have the WR come back to snag it. if anything, most times, the WR has the advantage on that play b/c typically the DB isn't looking back while the WR is. that poster makes it seem as if it never happens. unreal.

Edited by bobobonators

If you are not old enough or can't remember the 1986 season here's a link:

'86 Bills

It was filled with a lot of games that remind me of what we have seen from these Bills. A QB in his first year under a new coach (actually two) and alot of late game, "in the clutch" failures. Past performance predicts future results right up until it no longer does. Keep an open mind.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Beyond a QB's physical tools, people always talk about does he have "IT"...there have been

many debates about what "IT" is, but my take is that it is a combination of being able to

read defenses well (a student of the game), pocket presence, good leadership, and competitiveness.

Fitz seems to have all of those attributes...and this is coming from a guy who at the start

of the season felt anyone could be our starting QB except for Fitz, who was a good career

backup at best. But Fitz's competitiveness and never give up attitude has totally won me over.

The great QBs in the NFL all had that fire, drive...competitiveness. Did you see Tom Brady on the sideline

of the Pitt game, remember Jim Kelly. You can't rule a guy out just because he went to Harvard and was only

a 7th round pick. And don't we as Bills fans have a root for the underdog mentality anyhow?

So, I believe Fitz has shown that he has a lot of those QB intangibles...so, it comes down to does

he have all of the physical (tangible) tools to do it. I have questioned this myself many times.

Well, he's 6'2" and 225 lbs. The exact same size as Aaron Rodgers. Sure there are guys taller

(the Mannings, Rivers), there are also guys shorter (Brees, Vick). He doesn't have the strongest arm

in the league, but he isn't a noodle arm either. His balls have a lot of zip on them and he can throw the

deep one too. That first throw to Evans on Sunday had lots of arm under it. Even the passes I thought he

had trouble with last year, the deep outs, have almost become his bread and butter this year. At the

combine: Fitzpatrick ran a 4.86 in the 40-yard dash had a 295-pound bench press and 415-pound

squat and 325-pound power clean. Seems like he has some good physical tools.

And now we (really the Bills) have 7 more games to see if he can not only keep up his good play, but

also continue to learn and grow and get better. I think we'll all have a better idea after 7 more games

if he could be the guy or not. But I know I'll be rooting like hell for him.

I mean, Fitz coming on and playing well is only a positive for the team. It doesn't keep the Bills from

drafting the QB of the future. If their guy is there you still take him and then groom him for a year

or two under Fitz. But if you're guy isn't there, you're not pushed into reaching for someone else.

If you do draft your QB of the future and after a season or two, Fitz is lighting it up, then you have

the Brees/Rivers scenario and you trade one of them for good return. If Fitz is just keeping the seat warm

for a season or two (not getting better), then you bring the young guy in and still have a very good backup.

It's a win-win situation.

Some Interesting Fitz tidbits

Fitzpatrick is one of only four players to pass for over 300 yards in their NFL debut. The others were Otto Graham,

Mark Rypien, and Peyton Manning.

As is the case for most incoming NFL rookies, Fitzpatrick took the Wonderlic Test. A draft commentary

on the NFL's official website reported that he made a perfect score, while setting a speed record by

completing the exam in nine minutes. (It has since been said that his score was actually 48 or 49, but still)

Fitzpatrick was recently tabbed as the 5th smartest professional athlete by the Sporting News.

I have made fun of Fitz for a long time, but I think he MIGHT be an answer.

There are plenty of teams that would love to have a guy like him as their QB (he is at least as good as Tony Romo).

He gets hit RIGHT AFTER he throws OFTEN. Tom Brady has crapped out under the conditions that Fitz has been playing (fairly well) under.

I bet with better protection his accuracy would improve GREATLY. How about an upgrade at 2 positions on the O-line next season? I don't think they need to have "the Top Left Tackle Prospect of the 2011 NFL DRAFT!" or something, just 2 more guys that are significant upgrades.

Fitz will be playing for the starting job this last half of the season, and we will see if he can make these Bills "his team".

It's all in his hands.....

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Paup don't know how to act!

That pass to Johnson has me particularly miffed, because JOHNSON misplayed it. Instead of coming inside for the ball, he just kept running up the sideline. I don't judge SJ too harshly though, because the ball got caught up in the RAIN and WIND. It was certainly "playable" though.

When Jim Kelly was the QB, there was great outcry for Frank Reich to be named the starter.

Say it out loud "Sit down Jim Kelly, you are holding this team back".

Some people are just chronic pessimists.

Fitz has the intelligence and mobility. He has problems gripping the ball at times leading to errant throws. Our defense is better but not good enough to not see if Luck is the real deal

I agree, but I don't think the Bills are going to have the first pick (I bet it's more like 3rd or 4th) AND, Luck probably isn't going to come out.

Why this constant bickering over a guy that the Bills likely won't have a chance to pick anyway?

What I notice is that when things get tense he tends to throw too high and too hard. He might be able to fix this, so let's see. BTW when Kelly threw picks, it was due to him trying to squeeze into triple coverage, not wounded ducks like we've seen from Fitz. Just sayin'.

I'll guarantee if we don't improve our O-line and pass rush drafting Luck will not change things in Buffalo.

PTR

Thats why you draft Luck and have him sit 2-3 years behind Fitz while we build the o-line. That way we're building our o-line and grooming our QB for the future. Yea. How about that?