Atlanta needs a new stadium?

John Gianelli

If Goodell can't figure out why attendance is down, I could tell him. It's not because people can't watch the RedZone, or other games on TV or whatever.

THE TICKET PRICES ARE TOO HIGH.

Building new stadiums only makes them higher.

Really, it's not rocket science.

Minnesota thinks they need a new stadium too. The dome is only 25 years old. Silly.

When Seattle was trying to keep the SuperSonics, David Stern told the Washington Legislature that if they didn't build a new arena (which had just been remodeled six years before) that Seattle would lose the SuperSonics. And look what happened. I think it's sad that that the SuperSonics left, but I'm proud of Seattle for not caving, this time.

Its absolutely pathetic how Goodell holds the Super Bowl over a city like a ransom. its almost a form of extortion. Want the Super Bowl? too bad, you can't get one until you build a new stadium.

Whats worse is that complete **** hole stadiums like (whatever-name-it-is-this-month) stadium in Miami and the Superdome continually get awarded Super Bowls. Seems like a double standard.

Translation: The NFL doesn't really want another superbowl in Atlanta.

I live here. From a tourist standpoint, there's very little in this town.

They've got a new aquarium - that's nice And ummmmmmmmm....well, did I mention the new aquarium?

I intentionally left out the World of Coca-Cola. Unless you're a nostalgia Coca-Cola memorablia collector type, you can skip that overblown advertisement for Coke. I think the only reason people go there is because they've already done the aquarium.

There's the usual stuff like the 2nd rate zoo, science and art museums. There's the strip clubs - not exactly family fare. That's more for the convention crowd.

Beyond that, there's not much in Atlanta. The nightlife absolutely blows compared to other major metropolitan cities. There are a few nice restaurants scattered around town. Compared to other major cities, there aren't all that many 5 star restaurants, especially if you're looking for something that's in the middle lots of the action with foot traffic - think Times Square. There is no real central party/entertainment district populated by plenty of revellers where you can feel safe walking the streets. It doesn't exist in Atlanta.

If you're into random gang violence and the sound of gunshots in the night, this might be the place!

I think I remember reading somewhere that they like Miami because there's usually decent weather that time of year down there.

Face it, the SB is the NFL's Holiday party, awards banquet and national convention - in addition, they play the championship game later on that week.

If a city doesn't ooze tourist-stimulating attractions in and around the area, e.g., a eye-popping billion dollar stadium, challenging golf courses, dozens of 5* restaurants, historic golf courses, open air interesting venues (and did I mention more golf courses?) it's not going to get a SB.

That's why the SB will never go back to Jacksonville. It was cold and there was nothing to do for the jet-set and customers getting business-perks-from-their-salesmen crowd.

The NFL wants a host of entertainment selections for their corporate backers to be able to lavish on their important guests. Those are the people paying <$1,000 a ticket to "watch" the game. In reality - they're going to a week-long show.

Fans of each team only get about 10% of the tickets. The rest go to corporations - who are the only group that can afford to buy them in large numbers.

NYC, Boston and Chicago have enough panache to host one. Depending on what goes on in NYC - those other two could get a tumble with the glitter-laced, heavy-mascara-wearing, glossy-lipped, botox-injected, short-skirt-wearing, silicone-injected-breasts-straining-a-plunging-neckline whore that is the NFL for a chance to host her big party.

Walmart-like venues need not apply.

Goodell could not be more disconnected from the NFL fanbase. Fans DONT WANT big new stadiums because it means they can no longer afford the seats, which means their teams arent gonna be on TV, which means the NFL loses money.

Same kinda disconnect we see with the people running this country....

Yes...this.

Used to be a HUGE baseball fan. Went to a good 30 games/yr. Then the Mets decided to build a new stadium and raise the cost of going to a game from about $40 (wth food/parking) to about double that. And for worse seats.

The model is true....you CAN price out the fans.

Yes...this.

Used to be a HUGE baseball fan. Went to a good 30 games/yr. Then the Mets decided to build a new stadium and raise the cost of going to a game from about $40 (wth food/parking) to about double that. And for worse seats.

The model is true....you CAN price out the fans.

Lets see how popular football is after a lockout... Then ask taxpayers to fork over hundreds of millions for a new stadium to replace one that is less than 20 years old.

My initial thoughts exactly. I don't see the Georgia Dome as being any worse than the Superdome.

It will be interesting to see how well the Meadowlands Super Bowl goes down. If that is a success, watch for them to want to start holding them in major northern media markets like Chicago, Boston, or even Denver. Pittsburgh and Green Bay, though flush with football history, will be passed over due to a lack of anything else to do.

No 'bowl in B'flo??? :unsure:

Seriously - I know Chicago spent a ton of $$$ renovating Soldiers Field, but somehow I can't image the NFL putting their biggest event in an outdoor stadium on the shores of Lake Michigan in early February! (Same for Foxboro* - beautiful facility*, but wicked cold in February, plus the added disadvantage of being in the middle of nowhere.)

This is getting a little ridiculous. Goodell says Atlanta needs a new stadium. It's only 18 years old! My link

This pressure will continue until there is proof that the Washington and Dallas type stadium models have priced themselves too high. The NFL is no longer trying to get the average Joe (Jane) in the seats. They are all about chasing big corporate money. The average fan is the least of their concern much less what governments have forked over for stadium building.

This pressure will continue until there is proof that the Washington and Dallas type stadium models have priced themselves too high. The NFL is no longer trying to get the average Joe (Jane) in the seats. They are all about chasing big corporate money. The average fan is the least of their concern much less what governments have forked over for stadium building.

if the current trend keeps up, i think the NFL will essentially be a "studio" game, staged in empty stadiums with only corporate suites filled. as stated many times, in many ways, they are killing the proverbial golden goose. the greed is getting outta control. ralph's money grab in toronto, a prime example.