what's the deal with fan favorite Freddie Jackson?

bills44

he's looked slow and tentative this year running the ball, and I can't really think of a single big play he's made in the passing game (he did drop a ball yesterday as well). And while Fitzpatrick's 1st INT was a brutal throw, I'll argue that Jackson's fumble was more costly -- the Bills were moving the ball at the time, and the fumble resulted in a 10-14 point swing.

He's been ordinary, at best, this year. Maybe it's time to feature Spiller, and see what he can do -- other than blitz pickups, I can't see how he'd be any worse.

he's looked slow and tentative this year running the ball, and I can't really think of a single big play he's made in the passing game (he did drop a ball yesterday as well). And while Fitzpatrick's 1st INT was a brutal throw, I'll argue that Jackson's fumble was more costly -- the Bills were moving the ball at the time, and the fumble resulted in a 10-14 point swing.

He's been ordinary, at best, this year. Maybe it's time to feature Spiller, and see what he can do -- other than blitz pickups, I can't see how he'd be any worse.

I'd be hard pressed to find a worse starting back in the league than Fred Jackson. He just doesn't have the skill level to be a starter. The Bills need to start their first round draft pick CJ Spillar and find out what they have in him and if they need to draft yet another one in next years draft (obviously not the first or second round pick).

He is a fan favorite because he is a hard luck story, which Bills fans can relate to. He had to grind his way into the NFL from NFL Europe, and his struggles embody the struggles of a region.

Same reason that many people are super enamored with Ryan Fitzpatrick - hard worker, guy without all of the physical tools making good through sheer perseverance. Also, he gives a decent press conference and isn't "thuggish" in any way, to contrast Marshawn Lynch who people never really got on board with.

But yeah, he obviously isn't anywhere close to being an elite-level running back. Much like Fitzpatrick, both are bottom tier NFL starters.

He is a fan favorite because he is a hard luck story, which Bills fans can relate to. He had to grind his way into the NFL from NFL Europe, and his struggles embody the struggles of a region.

Same reason that many people are super enamored with Ryan Fitzpatrick - hard worker, guy without all of the physical tools making good through sheer perseverance. Also, he gives a decent press conference and isn't "thuggish" in any way, to contrast Marshawn Lynch who people never really got on board with.

But yeah, he obviously isn't anywhere close to being an elite-level running back. Much like Fitzpatrick, both are bottom tier NFL starters.

What, you didn't leave enough posts in the 100s of Fitzpatrick threads that you needed to rag yet again in the one and only Fred Jackson thread? You guys are pathetic.

I think you missed the point - I don't really care why people like him. I'm wondering why his on-field performance has dropped off as much as it has.

HUGE Fred Jackson fan here from the start but even I can admit he hasn't looked the same lately. That fumble was very costly as we were driving down the field. The only thing I can make of the situation is the offensive line isn't doing much for Freddy in run blocking. CJ's runs weren't much better yesterday either.

Freddie's game fell off (more like plummeted) ever since we traded Lynch away. Not sure what/if that has anything to do with it, but there is something to be said for competition for spots.

Jackson has been doing the same things that people bitched about Lynch for. Dancing in the backfield, not hitting the line. He's not running downhill anymore when he gets the ball.

I dont get it either.

Edited by DrDankenstein

He is a nice change of pace back but I think you need to start Spiller or give Spiller a lot more touches. I think FJ is very hesitant and he does look slow to move but his style contrasted with Spiller actually makes things tougher for a defense at times as the two run differently.

I do think Spiller should start to be the feature back. FJ is a good back but Spiller can be a game changer

HUGE Fred Jackson fan here from the start but even I can admit he hasn't looked the same lately. That fumble was very costly as we were driving down the field. The only thing I can make of the situation is the offensive line isn't doing much for Freddy in run blocking. CJ's runs weren't much better yesterday either.

execept for picking up the blitz he has been a huge disappointment. I don't get it but he looks a step slower then last year. They just picked up a short yardage /special team guy so clearly chan is not happy

Ummmm, when you don't run the ball your running backs don't produce. That simple.