what's the deal with fan favorite Freddie Jackson?

bills44

Missed the game yesterday - debating whether to watch it tonight . . . hmmmm.

That said, I haven't had a problem with Fred this year - he has been fine. His number of touches are down because he isn't the primary receiver for our QB like he was for #5!! Not to mention, we have been passing a little too much so he AND Spiller haven't received the carries we'd like to see.

As for the Bear's game - I haven't seen it, maybe his play wasn't up to par yesterday - but he's been fine through the 1st 7 games when given the opportunity to play.

He's a running back, and turns 30 in 3 months. What else do you need to know?

This.

It's very simple.

People who try to make weird arguments that he hasn't seen a lot of years of action and that it somehow helps are delusional.

Maybe we should get some 40 year old guy in here that has NEVER played in the NFL - he'll have PLENTY of miles left on him!

THE BILLS DON'T RUN THE FOOTBALL!

Of course Jackson's production is going to be down. When you have two competent backs and neither are getting any touches to get in flow with the game they will press which makes it even worse.

Less touches = less production

ITS NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

Except that your point is, at best, misrepresented.

The team averaged 26.5 carries per game in 2009 (424 carries in 16 games), which ranked 21st in the NFL.

This year, through 8 games, they're averaging 24.5 carries per game, which ranks 24th in the NFL.

So unless you believe that the 2 carries per game makes that big of a difference, I think you may be yelling over nothing. To me, the amount of running that the team does isn't different enough to make up for that hape in productivity.

I think the OP's question is why the running game--Jackson specifically--seems to be producing less than last year. In 2009, Jackson averaged 4.5 ypc on 14.8 attempts/game. This year, he's averaging 3.8 ypc on 10.4 att/game. Do we really think that 4 attempts per game is what's making the difference in his productivity, or is the OP right, and something is amiss with Freddie?

Of course Jackson's production is going to be down. When you have two competent backs and neither are getting any touches to get in flow with the game they will press which makes it even worse.

Two competent backs? One aging running back who seems to have lost a step, and one rookie who is a situational gimmick 10-touch-per-game back, who we might turn into a slot receiver.

I think you missed the point - I don't really care why people like him. I'm wondering why his on-field performance has dropped off as much as it has.

The run game in general has been bad. I suspect it has a lot to do with: Wood's injury, bad oline play in general, fred jackson not being a stud to begin with, and he is getting older. I am fine with jackson, but the oline needs more power.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

This board is ridiculous. I don't even need to explain why.

I actually agree with you. Half of the reason for Jackson's decline in yardage is having a halfway decent QB who takes what the defense gives them. You mix in run against the 7 or 8 man front just to keep them honest, but other than that, this offense has done an excellent job of taking what the defense gives them. If that results in lower ##s for Jackson, so what??

If Fitz would stop making the key mistakes that lose them the game, the LBs would back off and Jackson (and Spiller) would do better. It's not like Jackson is missing holes out there. Do people watch the game or just look at the stat line??