What if Merriman doesn't report

I am just wondering what happens if the guy doesn't come to Buffalo. Chris Brown said he has 4 days to report and he isn't coming today (Thursday). So if he looks at the B-Lo and says "F That!" What happens to him and the Bills who picked up his contract?

I forgot the list he goes on but he remains Bills property for the remainder of the season, whether he reports or not. He doesn't get paid if he doesn't report. At season's end he is a free agent assuming the Bills don't franchise tag him, and we may...may...get a comp draft pick if he doesn't resign.

PTR

Cool. Thanks for the information. That was my first thought when I saw we grabbed him yesterday. I hope he does report. A bad Merriman is better than a good Kelsey...

The list I believe is called the "Did Not Report" list and everything else PTR said is right. It's his loss if he doesnt come because the Bills won't have to pay him.

Also its his loss because he would lose out on a bunch of money. Money from this year AND possibly a big contract next year. He hasnt proven he can still play at an elite level since the injuries. No team will pay big bucks for him if he doesnt report and prove he can still play. NFL countdown said last night that this could be his last chance in the NFL. If he has half a brain, he will report

I forgot the list he goes on but he remains Bills property for the remainder of the season, whether he reports or not. He doesn't get paid if he doesn't report. At season's end he is a free agent assuming the Bills don't franchise tag him, and we may...may...get a comp draft pick if he doesn't resign.

PTR

I thought I had read that if he doesn't report, besides not getting paid, the list he goes on keeps him from being an unrestricted free agent next season.

Edited by dhg

PTR

There is something called a five day letter. You may recall this from last year when Seymour was not sure he would report to the Raiders. So, in effect, if he does not report and the Bills elect to send this letter, he has five days to report to the Bills. If he does not, he is OUT for the season..no ifs,ands or buts. No room for negotiation from either side if Bills elect to send the letter.

Edited by plenzmd1

Also its his loss because he would lose out on a bunch of money. Money from this year AND possibly a big contract next year. He hasnt proven he can still play at an elite level since the injuries. No team will pay big bucks for him if he doesnt report and prove he can still play. NFL countdown said last night that this could be his last chance in the NFL. If he has half a brain, he will report

My thoughts exactly. If he's still got it he can showcase it. If not, he needs to save every penny he can milk out of his current contract because it's the biggest one he's ever going to see.

I can't imaging he would refuse to report. He really needs to show he has recovered from his injury and there isn't a better team in the NFL to insure a starting opportunity and plenty of face time. If he is successful there would probably be some pretty good offers. I'm not all that sure he couldn't be re-signed by the Bills despite folks on this board who assume that Buffalo is such a suck ass place that no one would come or stay here. A few years ago we actually went to four superbowls with pretty good players who seemed to like it here.

Not reporting would be career suicide.

1. You have to show up to work to get paid.

2. It would be in the best interests of the "washed up" player to show he still has what it takes.

3. Does he really want to be "that guy"? The spoiled brat who stomped his feet and threw a tantrum because he didn't get the team he wanted? That'll look real good on his resume to contender teams for next season.

Besides, it is being reported that he's to report tomorrow.

Edited by Buffalo Billy

Not reporting would be career suicide.

1. You have to show up to work to get paid.

2. It would be in the best interests of the "washed up" player to show he still has what it takes.

3. Does he really want to be "that guy"? The spoiled brat who stomped his feet and threw a tantrum because he didn't get the team he wanted? That'll look real good on his resume to contender teams for next season.

Besides, it is being reported that he's to report tomorrow.

Makes no sense not to report....he is gonna be the biggest fish in a real small pond.

He has to be smart about it.