Need New Cell Phone

tmk-nj

I am a Verizon Wireless customer and am over due for a phone upgrade.

I am looking at the Droid 2 and the Droid X.

I have seen both and just can't decide on which one to get.

Part of me wants the Droid X but I am concerned that it is too big.

I am just looking for some input from those of you who have these phones.

And if there is another model that is better then please share!

Thanks.

Tom

I think some here have one or the other, and they can tell you about the specifics of the phones.

My question would be, "Do you need/want a physical keyboard?" Some people seem to be fine with only the touchscreen keyboard. I absolutely love having a physical keyboard and the touchscreen. The touchscreen is better for many apps, but the keyboard is unsurpassed for others.

All I can recomend is to play hardball with Verizon. I always insist you talk to them several times if you can afford the time. Plan out your billing, etc. When you get it figured out call them and say something like "well I really want the newest soon to be obsolete v.2 phone I can get but I do not know I really do not want to pay the $1.4bil a month. Is there any other options I have? What if I go to phone2 (list a completely different style phone, like just an LG8450) and get a more basic package or use my daughters old Razr, etc. It is amazing how much you get off, I have said before in the forums that using this practice two years ago I got a blackberry curve 8330, 2 cases, and a car charger for $70 which was 0'ed out by the rebate. My contract was not up, I have never missed a payment or been late, and I have been a customer for 5 years at this point. I got every phone from Verizon for less than $35 and all of them were pretty top tier.

My brother has the X. Prior to that he had the LG Shine and some really basic Motorola with just minute plans. He adapted well to it, he loves it, and has found himself doing things that he never thought of doing as a 35 yr old father of two young kids. He enjoys the NFL program, some of the aps, the video and picturing, etcetc.

Also, Verizon is getting the iPhone by Feb.

Edited by jboyst62

I just bought the Droid x a few days ago and I love it! There's so many cool things you can do with it and it takes a really good phone picture

If your thinking that the X is too big you might want to take a look at the Verizon Facinate. I have the TMobile version and really like it. Battery hog, like most smart phones to some extent, but that is easily solved by getting a couple extra batteries and charger(cheap from Hong Kong) and much better than hauling a charger around.

Anyway, Here is a good resource for Android stuff so you can do more research.

Edited by Dante

I have a Samsung Fascinate. Good phone overall but it has weird glitches, like when you try to call someone back, you go to your "call log" and click one name and the phone dials some other random person from your contact list. Also the non-Gmail e-mail app that comes with the phone crashes the phone. Talk to the Verizon rep and you get 1)"Gee, I've never seen that (yeah, right) and 2)"Take the battery out and reboot the phone when that happens." That doesn't solve the problem. Now I'm married to this phone for a year and half more.

PTR

I am a Verizon Wireless customer and am over due for a phone upgrade.

I am looking at the Droid 2 and the Droid X.

I have seen both and just can't decide on which one to get.

Part of me wants the Droid X but I am concerned that it is too big.

I am just looking for some input from those of you who have these phones.

And if there is another model that is better then please share!

Thanks.

Tom

Whatever you decide, I would recommend staying away from Windows mobile phones. I have one and it needs to be wiped and redone about every 3-4 months. Good idea.....lousy product.

I have a Samsung Fascinate. Good phone overall but it has weird glitches, like when you try to call someone back, you go to your "call log" and click one name and the phone dials some other random person from your contact list. Also the non-Gmail e-mail app that comes with the phone crashes the phone. Talk to the Verizon rep and you get 1)"Gee, I've never seen that (yeah, right) and 2)"Take the battery out and reboot the phone when that happens." That doesn't solve the problem. Now I'm married to this phone for a year and half more.

PTR

Good thing about android is that you aren't married to any app. Especially if you root your phone, which is easy these days with the "one click root" app. Below is a good alternative to the stock email client that ships with the phones. Got this from adroidapp.com

K9 Mail Android App is one of the best email clients for Android. It’s loaded with every email feature you could think of except ActiveSync (Push email, however IMAP integration syncs almost as fast as ActiveSync). By far a better replacement over the default email client created by Google (if you’ve read my gripe about the default email client deleting my inboxes article, you’ll know why). I personally like the iMAP folder synchronization, signatures and the ability to multi-manage several emails inboxes from a mobile device. Here is the complete list of features:

Send and Receive

Configure to IMAP, POP3, and WebDAV (Exchange) email protocols

Search Multiple inboxes

Swipe for Previous/Next emails

Set Android Notifications, sounds and vibrate alerts

Delete email on the server works (A huge gripe with users of the default email client, when you specify to delete on the server… it doen’t, meaning double work when you do get back to desktop)

Signatures

Multi-folder Synchronization

Opening and Saving attachments

Email Sorting

Copy email text by Forwarding message

Frequency check settings

Keyboard shortcuts

Edited by Dante

PTR

I've had the stock email app crash on my Captivate... it's usually due to all available memory being used. Once I rooted my phone and uninstalled all the AT&T crapware, I haven't had it happen since.

I've had the stock email app crash on my Captivate... it's usually due to all available memory being used. Once I rooted my phone and uninstalled all the AT&T crapware, I haven't had it happen since.

I'm curious why you need to root your phone to change your email app. I just use Gmail as my default and it works fine.