Claim and trade Randy Moss

gjv001

It has been reported that the Bills ( based on having the worst record to date in the NFL) have the right to claim Randy Moss. Perhaps we could get aa high as a fifth round pick for him.

How do you plan on that seeing as the Trade deadline is passed?

It has been reported that the Bills ( based on having the worst record to date in the NFL) have the right to claim Randy Moss. Perhaps we could get aa high as a fifth round pick for him.

That's what this team needs. More action, less thought.

PTR

I'll break it down real simple for ya.

Trade deadline is Week 6. This is Week 9 currently.

His contract is up after this year.

If you can find somewhere in there to get that 5th rounder out of him, let me know.

If you can find somewhere in there to get that 5th rounder out of him, let me know.

Compensatory pick for when he doesn't return next season?

Damn you may have foiled me on this one. I wasn't sure if he would earn us a compensatory for only being with us for 9 games. How exactly do compensatory picks work?

Not sure. :) I may be totally off on this one.

Edit: Awlright...went to Wikipedia (FWIW) and here's what they say....

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

I highlighted the areas where we could possibly get screwed. Looks like it wouldn't be any kind of lock that we'd benefit worth a damn by picking him up.

Edited by MattyT

How exactly do compensatory picks work?

It's a very complex formula based on the number of free agent losses and their productivity at their positions over the length of their tenure with the team and their free agency contract they accepted.

Unless you're the Bills. Then you don't get anything, because you're just a farm team for the rest of the league.

But you can change the settings and remove the trade deadline in-season.

OH wait, I thought we were playing Madden... :wallbash:

HA HA HA how dumb do you feel for posting this thread now! :doh:

past the trade deadline, can't franchise so he would be impossible to trade without a new contract and waiting til march.

Deadline schmedline.

They can still try to pass him through waivers to the correct trade partner and pull him back if he is claimed by another. This is common practice in baseball after the "deadline". This is how the Giants got Cody Ross.

Deadline schmedline.

They can still try to pass him through waivers to the correct trade partner and pull him back if he is claimed by another. This is common practice in baseball after the "deadline". This is how the Giants got Cody Ross.

Last time I knew the NFL isn't baseball. The NFL has totally different rules buddy. :doh: