Time for NFL to ban Time out just before Kick!

turbobike

As I said before do I like the rule...no. Do I think that what happened when the timeout was called was fair ..no. Do I think that it was fair to do that?....No. If it's the rule..what can I do or anyone do to change it. I'm not disagreeing with you. Maybe I just worded it in a way that didn't make sense. I think were on the same page here.

I think it a good rule. I think that what happened was fair. I don't think it should be changed. Other than that, we're on the same page here. :lol:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a timeout is called "before the play is initiated", i doesn't matter what happens after "on the field".

Really? Unconvincing? Fraudulent? Exactly what are you referring to?

So much drama....

Sorry ace, that home run you hit doesn't count. You see while you busy swinging, you failed to notice that the manager called time out.

A Fifty Three yard field goal isn't a chip shot - really.

Sorry ace, that home run you hit doesn't count. You see while you busy swinging, you failed to notice that the manager called time out.

Kicking a field goal is just a little bit easier than hitting major league pitching let alone hitting a home run.

Except the timeout would have been called before the pitch was even thrown, nothing that happens after that matters.

You should be able to call a TO before the ball is snapped... But NEVER after the snap. The play starts with the snap... How can a team stop the play? The rule doesn't seem logical with the rest of the game. Can a coach call TO right before his QB is gonna get sacked? No.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You should be able to call a TO before the ball is snapped... But NEVER after the snap. The play starts with the snap... How can a team stop the play? The rule doesn't seem logical with the rest of the game. Can a coach call TO right before his QB is gonna get sacked? No.

The timeouts are called before the snaps.

You're joking, right?

What's with these guys complaining about this "rule"?

The timeouts are called before the snaps.

Ooops... Then why do they let the play continue... What is somebody got hurt... Still doesn't make logical sense that you can "post date" a TO to be called right before the snap. Call a TO, the whistle should blow right then and there. I am not complaining... The rule just doesn't seem congruent (as with many other crazy rules in football) with the rest of the game.

Bull ****. Quit whining like a girl. Its a good thing and if it had saved the Bills ass you would be screaming how its the greatest thing in the world.

I think it is a pretty lousy tactic that reeks of desperation. Whenever I see a team do it it is just pathetic to watch. The worst time was when good ol wade did it last year and still lost. I never seen a man want a W more in his life. I hope I never see Gailey that desperate.

What bothers me more is not that they do it, because its never going to change, but why, when you have just a few yards to go before you're safely in FG range, do you pass on every down? multiple times today in OT, we could have just run the ball to get lindel closer to the endzone, and given him a straight shot at it. Instead, we pass on every single down. Same thing happened roughly 20 years ago, and we lost then, too.

It's time for the NFL to step in and BAN the timeouts just before the kicker hits the ball. Some thing like no timeouts with 5 seconds on the play clock. What say you?

Time for Bills fans to stop crying and whining about every rule that works against us...

I think it a good rule. I think that what happened was fair. I don't think it should be changed. Other than that, we're on the same page here. :lol:

I disagree: I think it's a bad rule. A normal timeout gets called in real time. Meaning, that if I call timeout before the other team snaps the ball, I get the timeout I wanted. If I call timeout a second after the ball is snapped, nothing happens.

This particular timeout involves a sort of imaginary form of time travel. Basically, a coach tells the ref, "You know what? When you see them snap the ball--my timeout will have occurred just before that." That tactic is cheesy, to say the least, and adds nothing to the game.

Even the idea of teams calling timeout to ice the kicker is annoying, although I suppose there's not much that can be done about that. But if they do want to go down that road, at least make them call timeout in real time; rather than prearranging something with some ref.

The problem I have is when the official is standing next to the coach waiting for his timeout. He's paying attention to the coach and not to he game. There is no "coach judge". He's supposed to be watching the game, not listening to a coach preparing for the perfect moment to call a timeout. How many times have we witnessed referees standing four feet from a coach who is screaming at him, and pretending that he cannot hear the coach. Yet on this particular play, the referee is poised to blow the whistle the moment the KC coach tells him.

It's almost a conspiracy between coach and ref. They wait for the perfect time, between when the center starts to snap and when he snaps. It's total bs.

What rule don't you like? The fact that a team gets three timeouts per half and can use them whenever they want? That's the rule. :wallbash:

That's not true, actually. For instance, a team cannot use a time out immediately following a time out. So which rule were you referring to again?

Time for Bills fans to stop crying and whining about every rule that works against us...

It was a cheap exploitation of the rule long before it ever worked against us. It still is.

That's not true, actually. For instance, a team cannot use a time out immediately following a time out. So which rule were you referring to again?

Someone (maybe Joe Gibbs?) needs to explain that to Steve Tasker, who commented just before the Chiefs missed FG, "You can bet Chan Gailey's gonna take a timeout here...he might even take two!" :wacko:

Bull ****. Quit whining like a girl. Its a good thing and if it had saved the Bills ass you would be screaming how its the greatest thing in the world.

ICE you amaze me with your lack of facts. It did save the Bills ass. Succop hooked that one field pretty badly, which gave the Bills another chance to win. I hate to say it, but you need to post less when you have a few drinks.

Someone (maybe Joe Gibbs?) needs to explain that to Steve Tasker, who commented just before the Chiefs missed FG, "You can bet Chan Gailey's gonna take a timeout here...he might even take two!" :wacko:

The rule is that for consecutive timeouts is that the second one cannot come with less than 15 seconds on the play clock. So, you really can't do much more than give the kicker time to warm up.

I will say that I like that when the timeouts had to come from on the field. So my compromise would be that the timeouts cannot come from the sideline with less than 5 seconds on play clock.

Edited by justnzane