What Should I Watch Next?

ajzepp

So over the past several years, I've gone back and watched a popular television show once the episodes were on DVD, and I have really enjoyed doing it this way. This worked well for The Sopranos, 24, Firefly, and Lost. Last night I was excited to receive the first disc of the first season of Mad Men, but to be honest I was thoroughly bored and uninterested after the first episode. I know this show has a solid following and critical acclaim, but I don't know that I'm really interested in this one. That being said, I know there aer other shows - particularly cable series' - that many of you really enjoy. What are some of the shows you guys feel strongly about? I want to start a new one, and I'm relying on you guys to help me out again. Some of the suggestions I've already received are shows like Weeds, Dexter, The Wire, and Pushing up Daisies. Please chime in in support of these shows or let me know if you have another suggestion.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So over the past several years, I've gone back and watched a popular television show once the episodes were on DVD, and I have really enjoyed doing it this way. This worked well for The Sopranos, 24, Firefly, and Lost. Last night I was excited to receive the first disc of the first season of Mad Men, but to be honest I was thoroughly bored and uninterested after the first episode. I know this show has a solid following and critical acclaim, but I don't know that I'm really interested in this one. That being said, I know there aer other shows - particularly cable series' - that many of you really enjoy. What are some of the shows you guys feel strongly about? I want to start a new one, and I'm relying on you guys to help me out again. Some of the suggestions I've already received are shows like Weeds, Dexter, The Wire, and Pushing up Daisies. Please chime in in support of these shows or let me know if you have another suggestion.

"Mad Men" is great, and I would recommend sticking with it. However, if that doesn't float your boat, try "Breaking Bad". The first two seasons are out on DVD, and the third should be out by spring. The first season has only 6 episodes, second has, IIRC, 13. It, and "Mad Men" are my two favorites on tv right now. I also really am starting to like the new HBO series "Boardwalk Empire", but it only halfway through its' first season.

Also, keep an eye out for "Treme". And, if you want to see a good network show, that nobody watches, but is really terrific, give "Friday Night Lights" a shot.

As for the other shows you mentioned, I watch "Weeds" and "Dexter". While I like them both, the longer they go on (especially "Dexter") I find I am watching them almost as much out of habit, as enjoyment. When "Dexter" started, I loved the first season, though I didn't care for the end. It has pretty much been that way each season. The problem with the show, as I see it, the writing is almost too comic-book, which is cool, but they try to present it in a realistic way, that frankly, just seems silly at times...it is hard to believe this story...and all the characters are extremely one-dimensional. It wears thin at times...not an awful show mind you...just seems like it has run its' course, to me. I have heard rumors as to where the story is headed, and if they are true, I think the show will lose me...

"Weeds" is a mixed bag. I have always had a love/hate thing for this show. If they would take the Kevin Nealon and Elizabeth Perkins characters out of the show, after, say, the third season, I would like it more. The acting is great, Mary Louise Parker is still sexy as hell, in a psycho kind of way, and the rest of the cast is really strong. Sometimes the story takes so many twists, you kind of forget what is happening...but, I still enjoy it. The last season was extremely dark comedy...I loved it, but I understand that many gave up on the show...this current season is a mixed bag too....

I implore you, give "Mad Men" a fair chance. It is a pretty complex show, and I if I recall, it took me a few episodes to "really get into it". Matt Weiner, the creator, was one of David Chase's creative people on the "Sopranos" (my favorite show ever!), and you can see the influence he had on that show, in "Mad Men", even though, story-wise, they are nothing alike. They have a very similar story telling style. The first season of "Mad Men" is great, the second and third are amazing...

Stick with "Mad Men". You'll be blown away by the Kodak pitch at the end of season 1.

I 2nd "Breaking Bad" and "Weeds" and "The Wire". All very good. "Weeds" has completely changed from its premise, but the characters are interesting. Seeing Andy Botwin (Justin Kirk) on "Modern Family" the other night threw me a bit.

"Treme" was very good, but you better like jazz.

For something lighter, try "Party Down". There's only 20 episodes, but it's pretty good. Also, "Californication" kept my interest.

Jack, I'm just starting Season 6 of The West Wing. I'm not of their political stripes, but I loved the show nonetheless. Would've loved to see a Vinick presidency with Alan Alda, as was originally planned before John Spencer died.

Otherwise, since the end of LOST, I've run through the "Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister" series on Netflix streaming and I expect that I'll start something else soon after I run through TWW. Winter's coming, which means more indoor time. So, yes, let's populate this list. It really seems like 3/4 of prime-time is occupied by crime shows. You'd think they might try something different, but no, it's all crime shows, all the the time. The studios just fail to get that the reason cable is ascendant is that they've branched out and done different things with their dramas.

I'll put in a good word for "Due South" even tho it's a cop show (a much different kind, tho), and in 4:3. I started watching "Pushing Up Daises" when it aired and enjoyed it, but at the time I had some night classes and I missed a lot and didn't keep up. That was an interesting concept and narration format for a show, and I enjoyed the "Amelie"-like feel to it. It got a lot of critical acclaim (but, all too often that's a kiss of death).

Thanks guys, those are exactly the sort of replies I was hoping for....sounds like I should keep watching Mad Men to see if I get a little more into it since you guys are high on it. Buftex, I really like the Friday Night Lights suggestion...I LOVED the movie and for whatever reason never paid attention to the show. I've never seen a single episode, but that might be a good one to start up with since it's available on netflix streaming (I think). That would allow me to not tie up a mail slot and still have the show in high definition. I need to get my xbox hooked up again so I can stream!

I'm also glad that you guys suggested some shows I've never heard of...I'm going to add those to my list for future consideration :) I tell ya, I hardly EVER watch scripted television, and you guys are the ones who have helped me to watch and enjoy the ones I mentioned in my first post above. Just like with music, the suggestions are always on the money here, so I appreciate it :thumbsup:

30 rock

I second this. I came to this show late--I was not interested when it first came out. But now I consider it one of the greatest sit-coms of all time. Up there with Cheers, Seinfeld, Arrested Development. The writing is consistently great and funny.

Edited by gringo starr

The Wire has to be on top of the list. Just be aware that they take a few episodes to develop characters and story lines. They use the full season to wrap up a case which is different than most crime dramas.

I also got hooked on Californication and Dexter through the Instant streaming on Netflix. Both are excellent shows.

I tried Weeds but never made it through the 1st episode.

FX has put out a lot of great shows too. The Shield is one of my all-time favorites. Sons of Anarchy is also a top pick. Also like the new show Terriers.

Okay guys, so I've decided to finish up watching the first disc of Mad Men since it's already here...I've also confirmed that Friday Night Lights is available for streaming in HD from Netflix, and I've added Breaking Bad season 1 to my netflix queue.

That should keep me busy....I'll watch the first few episodes of each show and decide which one in my next time investment :)

Thanks again!

The Wire is an obvious choice.

And, if you like that, then rent Homicide! TV show that was actually quite good, and it was the basis for The Wire.

I'll second Homicide Life on the street, also enjoyed Brotherhood a Showtime series and thought Life though short lived was pretty good.