Ryan Fitzpatrick: Have the Buffalo Bills Found a Franchise Quarterback

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else Fitz is the present ,& a Buffalo type of player !! Some one the fans can root for and gives every thing he's got every time he steps on the field !

He's smart , has the second highest passer rating behind Peyton Manning which is at 102 . If nothing else the Bills won't need to do something stupid at the position (i just hope they realize it) And they will have some one in place that can lead this team until the air apparent comes along .

Plus it's not like we don't have other need areas on this team !!! Which between Chan & Buddy i think they'll

GET ER DUN !!!!! :thumbsup:

i like what you said.......but, "air apparant" and "get'er done"? c'mon bro, back away from the neckeotype.

Edited by marsadale

Somebody is not receiving the proper credit here, Chan Gailey. His reputation is quarterback development and he has done a fantastic job.

If Fitzpatrick can keep this up, the Bills have eliminated the need for a QB, 2nd receiver,a new offensive line,and the Bills can focus on defense. That's would be quite an accomplishment in 3 months.

Seems like yesterday we needed a completely new team.

*shaking my brain free of butterflies* wtf? So we skip over the O Line entirely??? Everything is roses with QB, OLine and we go straight to Defensive line? Fitz is a smart kid, but once again, if you don't protect him (and start opening holes for Freddie and CJ) he becomes one dimensional which makes defensive game planning easier. Don't get ahead of yourself...the O Line needs help too.

A lot of skeptics talk about Fitz's career to this point like he's a 10 yr vet who just had his first big game. The guy's started all of about 2 seasons worth of games, give or take a few, and has progressed significatly during that time.

Development is what separates the greats from the busts. A very few QBs have come out and lit it up as rookies. Especially thrown into disfunctional situations. Most take time to develop and this guy gets better with every game he plays.

Im happy to admit that I was wrong about RF. I had him pegged as a lifelong backup. A great guy to have on the team to come off the bench, and even get you a win in the right situation. A total character guy, but with limited skills that would relegate him carrying a clipboard his whole career.

I know it's early, but thus far he's proven me wrong. If this is how its going to be? Im totally down with having him leading the offense for the forseeable future.

War Fitzpatrick

A lot of skeptics talk about Fitz's career to this point like he's a 10 yr vet who just had his first big game. The guy's started all of about 2 seasons worth of games, give or take a few, and has progressed significatly during that time.

Development is what separates the greats from the busts. A very few QBs have come out and lit it up as rookies. Especially thrown into disfunctional situations. Most take time to develop and this guy gets better with every game he plays.

Another way to look at this is to imagine how 'insane' this board would be if we drafted someone next year...... and they proceeded to put together a five game stretch like Fitz. I'm jacked that we have a guy who is slinging it all over and seems to get 'it.' I hope he can produce consistently. In addition, when is the last time you heard players talk this positively about 'their guy at qb?' He seems to have the respect of the entire locker room. Would anyone really be disappointed if we "lucked" (pun intended) into a good, productive QB? I'm all for it. His recent performance makes for an interesting evaluation the rest of the year.

It's interesting how all of a sudden "Lee Evans is a premier receiver", as the article mentions. All it takes is for a QB to trust him and throw the ball his way and he's no longer a waste of money and trade fodder. Maybe he's not "worth" the exorbitant salary, but when he's involved in the offense he makes plays. Another thing to credit Chan for, as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely correct. Chan deserves much of the credit for turning around our O and for developing the players especially Fitz. He has done a great job. It was just last season when Fitz was not doing so well under the old management. If we can draft some decent D palyers, we can have a good team next year.

Edited by Bart

I've been a fan of the Bills for fifteen years at least. I've been really following football for maybe seven or eight. Every year there are one or two college football players coming out that stand easily at the top of the list, guys that a team can build a unit around. Last year it was Suh.

Remember - going through a rebuild that takes a few years is something a team doesn't want to do every four or five years. If we have to hit rock bottom to build this thing up the right way, we should be aiming for a championship, to begin with, and then to remain that good.

Now, if we end up going into next year with the first pick, or top two or three, we should not be seeing that high a pick again for a long time. To be a great team - not just good, but great - we need a great QB. Fitz might be playing good, but he'll never be great. He looks like the perfect number 2 QB on a championship team, able to come in and win a game when needed, smart and capable of helping a young Qb read defenses. If we have the chance to grab a QB capable of being great, then we need to take it. Unless there is another player of need on Defense that is looking like a once in a generation prospect - and from what I've read it looks like the QB's are the talk of next year's draft.

The other direction - one I'm opposed to - is trading down. But, we won't, at least we shouldn't, have the chance to lock up a great Qb with a top pick for the forseeable future, so that is the way to go, IMO.

Its an interesting choice for sure. If he comes crashing back to earth then sure, draft Luck. But if not, what more could we possibly want? Hes #2 in passer rating for petes sake, and has obvious chemistry with our receivers. Chemistry doesn't grow on trees, you know. Anyways if he can keep doing that, then no joke, I say we draft all LB, DL, and OL next spring.

Edited by SoFFacet

The guy has played in four games this year and is the #2 ranked passer in the NFL. Are we really asking for more from the QB position right now?

There are many reasons he's playing better, and it's because the whole offense is playing better. The run blocking is getting better, the pass blocking is getting better, the running backs are picking up the blitz better, the receivers are getting open better, and the game plans are slowly evolving as the team gets more confident in what they're doing. All of this takes time, even with the right guy in charge of it. You can't expect the offense to come out like gangbusters at the start of the season with a new coach and a lot of young, inexperienced players. And that includes Fitz, who hasn't played a huge amount in his time in the league.

Everyone, including Fitz, is starting to 'get it', and that gives them increasing confidence, and the ability to do more on offense. This is what gives me the greatest hope as we move forward, especially (and hopefully) into next season, when presumably we can seriously address the deficiences in the defense (DE and LB).

I'm pretty sure the poster was referring to Brees' first 2 seasons as a starter where he clearly struggled, which you left out, and which also roughly equate to the same number of starts Fitz had prior to this season:

year atts comps pct yards avg tds ints rating

2003 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.9 11 15 67.5

2002 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17 16 76.9

No, his quote was..."Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire BEFORE he got to New Orleans..."... which I simply corrected by saying, yes he did. For 2 whole seasons.

Also, Fitz is basically still a young guy. He is only 1 year older than Edwards despite being in the league two additional years. Take a QB like Danny White -- he didn't do hardly anything his first 4 years in the league, but went on to become a very good QB.

BTW - Danny White didn't do much his first four yrs in the league (as QB, anyway) because he was Dallas' punter!

No, his quote was..."Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire BEFORE he got to New Orleans..."... which I simply corrected by saying, yes he did. For 2 whole seasons.

I understand that he said "before New Orleans", but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that when he referred to Brees' early struggles with San Diego he was referring to the actual seasons in which he struggled, which roughly correlate to the same number of starts as Fitzpatrick at the beginning of 2010. I may have conflated the point because it's specifically been discussed in other threads, but that's the way I took it.

*shaking my brain free of butterflies* wtf? So we skip over the O Line entirely??? Everything is roses with QB, OLine and we go straight to Defensive line? Fitz is a smart kid, but once again, if you don't protect him (and start opening holes for Freddie and CJ) he becomes one dimensional which makes defensive game planning easier. Don't get ahead of yourself...the O Line needs help too.

good point, I like how everyone forgets how much Fitz had to run for his life against the Jets, he will do that again against the Steeler's

Like I posted in another thread, this is what Chan Gailey can do with a decent QB, make him look really good. Fitz is getting the ball out very quickly and finds the open receiver very quickly, but lets not forget he threw two INT's that hurt the team. Last time i looked about the ONLY QB that can do it all on his own is Payton Manning, and Fitz is definitively not a Manning

This team is going to continue to lose until they upgrade the O line and start running the ball more often

Absolutely correct. Chan deserves much of the credit for turning around our O and for developing the players especially Fitz. He has done a great job. It was just last season when Fitz was not doing so well under the old management. If we can draft some decent D palyers, we can have a good team next year.

Chan Has been a great hire offensivly. I wish the defense was better but he has made this offense very good. I have belief we can win every game with this offense. I cant remember the last time i thought that

good point, I like how everyone forgets how much Fitz had to run for his life against the Jets, he will do that again against the Steeler's

Like I posted in another thread, this is what Chan Gailey can do with a decent QB, make him look really good. Fitz is getting the ball out very quickly and finds the open receiver very quickly, but lets not forget he threw two INT's that hurt the team. Last time i looked about the ONLY QB that can do it all on his own is Payton Manning, and Fitz is definitively not a Manning

This team is going to continue to lose until they upgrade the O line and start running the ball more often

Peyton Manning once threw an int, but he was a rookie and it was the receiver's fault.

Last weeks performance by the OL has granted them the rest of the season to prove they can get the job done. Suggs was eliminated from the game and as a whole our line played very well Sunday.

Peyton Manning once threw an int, but he was a rookie and it was the receiver's fault.

Peytons first two seasons:

Year one 3-13-0, 26 td 28 int QB rating 71.2%

Year two 13-3-0 26TD 15 INT QB Rating90.7%

Contrast his first 16 games with the next 16:

Year three. 10-6 33Td 15 int QB rat 94.7

Check it out for yourself and look at 2001. Do #s lie? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm