The Fitzpatrick thread you knew was coming.

Van_phelaN1

I don't know too many average to below-average QBs who have been second in the NFL in QB rating 6 games into the season.

And if it's just "Gailey's QB magic" at work, then where was his magic with Trent? Maybe Fitz just needed someone to teach him a few techniques or something. But a lot of it has to be him.

Fitz throws the ball. Trentative didn't. That's the "magic"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fitzpatrick continues to play at the level he's playing the Bills would be absolutely stupid drafting a QB with their 1st pick. How many "franchise" QB's never make the transition from college to the pro's? I don't care how Locker, Mallet or Luck look right now, none of that is a guarantee that they'll make the transition.

Fitzpatrick may not be the most accurate QB in the NFL but the guy is proving one thing, he CAN get it done. He can make the throws, he can read the defenses and he has the "it" that allows him to throw a WR open. Most importantly, the entire offense believes in him. We've got a bonafide starter on the roster that can play at the NFL level. A rookie QB, no matter how talented, sets us back another 2-3 years. Fitz is easily as good as Flacco, Cassell, Ryan or that choad Sanchez.

We made three HUGE mistakes this offseason:

1. Signing Cornell Green.

2. We should have kept Perry Fewell as our defensive coordinator, assuming he would have stayed.

3. Fitzpatrick should have been the starter through all of the OTA's and going into the season.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Defense needs improvement. I say that I want to see wins to prove Fitz's worth as a starter, but he gave us every chance to win the game. Picks are part of the game when you actually throw for over 150 yards each week. How long has it been since we had two players with over 100 yards receiving in the same game?

It was an exciting week, but I'm not letting hope get me down three weeks from now if the offense regresses. I'll let Fitz prove something to us before making a judgment, but what a fun game to watch. When's the last time you could say that you had FUN watching a Bills game? That's improvement.

I had no idea Fitz was only 27 years old. Has he hit his ceiling? Maybe not, but what is his ceiling and how long can he peak for?

I think Fitz has certain physical limitations that will prevent him from reaching a franchise level QB, but I think he can toe the line for the next 2-3 years while we attempt to find that QB that can be a cornerstone of the franchise for the unforeseeable future.

Like most others here. If he continues to play like this through the end of the season (I'm sure there will be a bad game here and there, it happens), then I'm perfectly fine with him keeping the starting job going into next year and beyond. It'd free up room for us to focus on getting decent defensive players together.

If he regresses to the way he played last year and with Cinci, then I say draft a QB with our first round pick and cross our fingers that he's going to be the guy.

Edited by Dorkington

Fitzpatrick is an average to below-average quarterback in the NFL as evidenced by his body of work throughout his journeyman career. He is a great teammate, and tries real hard and I think he should have a roster spot on this team moving forward.

If the Bills are serious about competing for championships instead of rebuilding back to 7-9, they need to do everything they can to acquire an elite-level franchise quarterback. I believe their best chance to do this will be to use their #1 overall draft selection. I hope that rookie quarterback can mentor behind Fitzpatrick until he is ready to play, and I hope we bolster our defensive front seven and offensive line in the interim.

Viola, a shot at being a decade-long playoff contender again.

I am starting to believe that Fitz is the perfect QB for Gailey's system, but outside of this system, he is the QB we have seen in years past. I don't think it is a fluke he is playing like this with Gailey known for his ability to make QBs good, but I do not think he

would be this good otherwise...

I am starting to believe that Fitz is the perfect QB for Gailey's system, but outside of this system, he is the QB we have seen in years past. I don't think it is a fluke he is playing like this with Gailey known for his ability to make QBs good, but I do not think he

would be this good otherwise...

I think it is a combination of that and Steve Johnson. I don't know how many times Fitz has said how great Johnson is at getting separation and Johnson keeps singing the praises of Fitz. I think these two in particular have made a connection and their success obviously opened up some things for Lee Evans. I always had a good feeling about Stevie but I never would have seen him explode on the field like that so suddenly. Who knows what happens if Fitz gets the start from Day 1. All I know is that Cornell Green just watched his job get taken away on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Fitzpatrick is an average to below-average quarterback in the NFL as evidenced by his body of work throughout his journeyman career. He is a great teammate, and tries real hard and I think he should have a roster spot on this team moving forward.

If the Bills are serious about competing for championships instead of rebuilding back to 7-9, they need to do everything they can to acquire an elite-level franchise quarterback. I believe their best chance to do this will be to use their #1 overall draft selection. I hope that rookie quarterback can mentor behind Fitzpatrick until he is ready to play, and I hope we bolster our defensive front seven and offensive line in the interim.

Viola, a shot at being a decade-long playoff contender again.

Not true, he improved and is now an NFL starter.

Denial will get you nowhere

Okay, FIRST let me say that I was a supporter of Trent Edwards when he first came along here and Buffalo and probably defended him way longer than I should have.

ALSO I have been known to say that Fitz doesn't have the same upside as a guy like Brohm does.

Now that we have that out of the way.

I was downright blown away with Fitzy yesterday. I don't know when the last time I saw someone command our offense the way he did. I admire his gunslinger attitude and his willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Did he win? No, and he also threw some very bad pics. However if you look at it the other way, that pass to Lee Evans was a VERY ill advised throw. I think Chan is starting to like the guy a lot.

I guess my question is, if he can continue to perform like this (as well as the receivers) what shot do you give Fitzpatrick of convincing Chan he is the guy of the future? All I can say is I will never have to worry about calling him Captain Checkdown. :thumbsup:

:D :D :worthy::w00t:

To add a thought...

If Fitz makes the pro bowl then the answer is made for US. Fitz and Stevie got it going on right now. Which make him our true number 1 wideout but they wont say that publicly lol.

Chan is being very creative with Roscoe and if CJ can go more north and south we have a very good offense.

Fitz is by far not below average as a BACKUP. People here should remember a guy named Frank Reich. He has the best comebacks of both college and in the NFL, but he was a full time back up and he knew it. Fitz is the same way. The Bills will go get a qb of the future next year, but keep Fitz in because he wont lose a game, but wont be able to win week in week out either. He will keep the Bills in games that's it. That is not below average by any means. He knows he's not a top caliber qb, but a career back up. To even be in the NFL is an honor, and to play is even more. Fitz is happy knowing he's a reliable player on a team that when called upon, he will be there. That is exactly what the Bills need as well seeing the line is questionable. Future qb of the Bills, uhhh NO! Great back up,uhhh Yes.

First of all, these are your OPINIONS, not facts. Second, comparing Reich to Fitz is ridiculous. In Buffalo, Reich got to fill-in with a Super Bowl roster; as soon as he went out on his own he was horrid. In ten starts with Carolina and the Jets his QB rating was around 60. Reich never threw more than 93 passes in a season until his TWELFTH YEAR, and in Buffalo he never started more than two games in a row.

To suggest Fitz "is a back up and he knows it" is remarkably obtuse. I guarantee you Fitz thinks he can be the QB of the present and future for the Bills -- and based upon what I've seen the past four weeks, I'm starting to believe him. Get back to me after another ten games.

First of all, these are your OPINIONS, not facts. Second, comparing Reich to Fitz is ridiculous. In Buffalo, Reich got to fill-in with a Super Bowl roster; as soon as he went out on his own he was horrid. In ten starts with Carolina and the Jets his QB rating was around 60. Reich never threw more than 93 passes in a season until his TWELFTH YEAR, and in Buffalo he never started more than two games in a row.

To suggest Fitz "is a back up and he knows it" is remarkably obtuse. I guarantee you Fitz thinks he can be the QB of the present and future for the Bills -- and based upon what I've seen the past four weeks, I'm starting to believe him. Get back to me after another ten games.

I agree mostly here, however, he has yet to put two good games in a row together. I'm not even asking for another 300yd day, just real, offensive production that keeps the Bills in the game. If he can string a few of these together, not only will the Bills win a game, he will change a lot of peoples minds regarding his ability to lead the team for next season, thus allowing to FO to address defense first and foremost in the draft.

I agree mostly here, however, he has yet to put two good games in a row together. I'm not even asking for another 300yd day, just real, offensive production that keeps the Bills in the game. If he can string a few of these together, not only will the Bills win a game, he will change a lot of peoples minds regarding his ability to lead the team for next season, thus allowing to FO to address defense first and foremost in the draft.

Against the Jags:

20 of 30 for 220yds. 3 TDs/0INTs. 121.5 rating. (26 points scored)

Is that not considered a good game? Man, for a franchise that's been as bad as we've been, people sure have high expectations. Or is it that Fitz has to over perform because... well he's Fitz and not a number 1 pick?

How long after Brady stepped in for an inured Bledsoe did people stop saying he was no good because he was just a backup? Going back to week 16 of last season, Fitz is the HIGHEST RATED QB IN THE NFL. That isn't a fluke. That isn't all "prevent" time at the end of games.

We have a QB. Be happy. We need a powerhouse DE. Period.

We have a QB. Be happy. We need a powerhouse DE. Period.

I think we've been in the mode of having a defense that could keep us in games but no offense and poor QB play for too long. Now that we have a good offense and good QB play and horrid defense play that couldn't keep us in a game against the Little Sisters of the Poor, we don't know how to act.

Fitz is doing really well. I know it's bursting some people's bubble of getting that golden armed "franchise QB" from a football factory. A lot of good QBs have been drafted after round 1 and a lot took years to develop and then became good.

Besides being #2 in QB rating, he's also tied for 7th in TD passes with Tom Brady, Kyle Orton, and Tony Romo and he's only played in 4 games. His stat line is eerily similar to Tom Brady. Yet Fitz is ahead in Yards Per Game and Yards Per Attempt. He's tied with Phillip Rivers for #10 in completion percentage. He's #13 in the league in yards per game.

Fitzpatrick etched his name with Bills legend Jim Kelly by throwing three touchdown passes in back-to-back games - a feat that has not been accomplished since Kelly did it in weeks five and six in 1990. Fitz also holds the Bills franchise record for longest TD pass (98 yards) and longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB (31 yards). What do you want? What does he have to do?

Of course we need to see if it continues. I see no reason why it won't.

Edited by reddogblitz

I think we've been in the mode of having a defense that could keep us in games but no offense and poor QB play for too long. Now that we have a good offense and good QB play and horrid defense play that couldn't keep us in a game against the Little Sisters of the Poor, we don't know how to act.

Fitz is doing really well. I know it's bursting some people's bubble of getting that golden armed "franchise QB" from a football factory. A lot of good QBs have been drafted after round 1 and a lot took years to develop and then became good.

Besides being #2 in QB rating, he's also tied for 7th in TD passes with Tom Brady, Kyle Orton, and Tony Romo and he's only played in 4 games. His stat line is eerily similar to Tom Brady. Yet Fitz is ahead in Yards Per Game and Yards Per Attempt. He's tied with Phillip Rivers for #10 in completion percentage. He's #13 in the league in yards per game.

Fitzpatrick etched his name with Bills legend Jim Kelly by throwing three touchdown passes in back-to-back games - a feat that has not been accomplished since Kelly did it in weeks five and six in 1990. Fitz also holds the Bills franchise record for longest TD pass (98 yards) and longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB (31 yards). What do you want? What does he have to do?

Of course we need to see if it continues. I see no reason why it won't.

Yep, we need to see if it continues, but if anything, I've seen him improve. Less and less high throws every week. But those that think (AT THIS POINT) Luck should still be our #1 pick is just not seeing the biggest need. Lack of pressure on opposing QBs is killing us - it kills your secondary, even when they have some talent. Giving a QB 6 seconds makes it near impossible to maintain coverage on top notch receivers.

People, our offense put up 34 points and 500+ yards on Baltimore. I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and claim that any offense that can play like that is a contender's offense. The problem is now 100% defense (well maybe 90% defense, the OL still makes me worry).