Xbox or PS3?

GOBILLS78

Also (sry I don't have a link) i read a while ago that ps3 is advanced enough to play the next generation of games so supposedly when xbox 720 comes out there's no need for a ps4 it can handle the next gen games. It was a while ago I read that so I don't remember how reputable the source.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also (sry I don't have a link) i read a while ago that ps3 is advanced enough to play the next generation of games so supposedly when xbox 720 comes out there's no need for a ps4 it can handle the next gen games. It was a while ago I read that so I don't remember how reputable the source.

Don't believe the hype. ;)

Haha, 10-week! Yes, for sure, it certainly has me leaning the PS3 way. I appreciate all the feedback. It seems to me like they're both great systems. Also, I'm reading that the iMac setup with Xbox users has been frustrating.

I can't believe I got that wrong. My brother's son was born back in July and I did the quick math in my head to see which kid was older. I know he's definitely spent a decent amount of time on the PS3 while watching the baby. So far I've been told that any games with the sound of shooting irritate the kid a bit.

And there's another thing that can easily influence this decision, the systems that and friends or family might own.

hehe why not? i want to believe i dont have to buy a new system to play call of duty 20

:lol:

Seriously though, when Microsoft releases a new console, you really think Sony will be able to sit back and say, "But our console is advanced! It's so advanced we haven't been able to have games with better graphics than the old Microsoft console!" Even if it WERE true (it's not), they'd lose the PR battle in no time. Plus, it's still much easier to program for the 360 than it is the PS3.

I suspect both companies will release new consoles in a few years --- but it won't be soon, so don't make a purchasing decision based on that right now. :)

Seriously though, when Microsoft releases a new console, you really think Sony will be able to sit back and say, "But our console is advanced! It's so advanced we haven't been able to have games with better graphics than the old Microsoft console!" Even if it WERE true (it's not), they'd lose the PR battle in no time. Plus, it's still much easier to program for the 360 than it is the PS3.

I suspect both companies will release new consoles in a few years --- but it won't be soon, so don't make a purchasing decision based on that right now. :)

Everyone knows the Wii is better.

(if it's true)...kiddies want a ps4 and adults want to save money. It just depends on market research and the weight of kids vs. adults in video games. This isn't 1995 when video games were just for kids. Those 1995 kids are old now and still play but have bills(like me). I suspect you're right though :wallbash:

hehe why not? i want to believe i dont have to buy a new system to play call of duty 20

Both companies have said they are expecting about 5 more years out of this generation than last and are going to be releasing new consoles around the same time.

You can say that, but it actually isn't true - the 360 generally has better graphics in a lot of games, although I doubt most people would notice - the difference isn't that great.

Case in point, fallout new vegas. It has AA enabled on the 360 but not the ps3.

The 360 will soon (month or so) have ESPN 360 streaming on it -- that could be a huge difference maker if you like watching sports. They're also further ahead in IPTV.

Both uverse support and espn 3 land on november 4ths dashboard update I think.

I'm surprised to hear about all of the negative online experiences -- but I suppose I play with people I know 80% of the time so it's not that big of a deal. There's a thread in the Consumer Forum with gamertags for TSW folks. Online play isn't free, but it's only ~$40/year if you shop around. I actually got three years for $90. The service provides a lot more than the PS3, thus the cost.

Keep in mind also that Xbox will be releasing Kinect in a few weeks - it's a camera system that can sense your motions and can be used to play games, control the 360, etc. It supposedly can sense multiple people, and can do facial recognition to know who you are. Time will tell how good it is, and it costs $150, but nobody else has anything like it.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-first-kinect-prototype-cost-them-30000

The list of exclusive titles is a big factor as well, as a previous poster mentioned. Also, a lot of content comes out to the 360 before the PS3 (Fallout DLC, for example) so if you want to play it first, you need a 360. If you have patience (3-6 months usually), it's a wash.

Controller is purely a personal decision. I really don't like the PS3 controller, but love the 360 controller. You should try 'em both out if possible.

Personally, I think the 360 has better exclusive titles (Halo, Gears of War, Crackdown, Fable), but some people would say MSG is better, so look at what kind of games you prefer. :)

Yeah, I don't have any problems with the xbox live community either. Personally, I think xbox live gives an all around better experience than the psn.

for me, xbox is a good fit. Rich online media, the games I want to play, and solid online experience.

I'm excited about the kinect launch next week. I preordered a new xbox slim with kinect and a 250 gb hd.

Starting next week, I'm going to be able to play games, stream movies, watch espn 3, watch uverse tv, access my dvr and pause/record/etc, access twitter and facebook, and stream content from my pc and phone all to one box.

Oh yeah, and with kinect, I'll be able to control it all with my voice and gestures. Pretty sweet setup!

The cell processor employed by the PS3 is well advanced from a technical standpoint but the problems lies with the development tools and developers taking advantage of that technology. It is difficult and coslty. Most games are 3rd party these days and are developed on the PC platform (very similar to the 360's dev tools). Games don't port very well over to cell/ps3 and that's why you see most 3rd party games superior on the 360. The only developers that have taken advantage of the cell processor is a few exclusive sony developers and those games overall are on par IMO with the Xbox exclusives.

If the xbox 720 comes out, it will be more powerful than the PS3 in key areas for developers and will obviously have much superior developmental tools than the PS3/Cell. Sony IMO would need to play the catch up game. Right now after how many years? Sony's best games are on par with the 360's best games and in theory the PS3 is the more powerful console.

Sony did not put much thought into the developer aspect of making a console which is their big downfall because it is not the console that makes the system it is the games.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I say go with the PS3. It has some great games that you can play forever (RDR, Bad Company 2, Bioshock & Bioshock 2, Uncharted 2, MW2, and of course MGS 4), and the online community isn't made up exclusively of 12-year-olds calling you 20 different synonyms for a homosexual male.

The only games you mentioned in there that would make a difference if you had a PS3 or not are Uncharted 2 and MGS4 (they are both PS3 exculsives). Bioshock is an Xbox exclusive and the rest are on both platforms. Plus, the online servers on Xbox Live are greatly superior to PS Network (I have owned both systems and there is no comparison to how awful the online system is on Playstation Network as opposed to the smooth and user-friendly Xbox Live).

OP, bottom line, if you don't care about blu-ray, get the Xbox. The new version has built in wi-fi (faster than PS3's internal wireless adaptor), and has fixed the reliability issues with better and more efficient internal parts. Yes, you do pay for Xbox Live, but you get what you pay for.

You now don't need a separate disc to stream netflix on the PS3. They also just added 5.1 digital surround and HD streaming as well.

Link

About time. Couldn't figure out why the Wii and PS3 needed the stupid disk.

Unless it was a timed exclusive for the Xbox... A lot of things are exclusive on the 360 first, and I'm sure some (all?) of that is money related.

About time. Couldn't figure out why the Wii and PS3 needed the stupid disk.

Unless it was a timed exclusive for the Xbox... A lot of things are exclusive on the 360 first, and I'm sure some (all?) of that is money related.

You are correct about exclusive to the 360 first, and thats just one of many including the map packs for Modern Warfare 2 which were on 360 about a month faster than PS3. And yes, it's all money related.

here is my .02 cents....

I like the capability of the PS3 better and think it is a slightly better system for gaming and like the blu ray player that is a nice touch. its nice to have playstaion online for free

however i have an xbox360 because most of my friends do and use it for xbox live. I think there is a wider variety of games available for 360 and its a more popular online system. but i also live in constant anxiety for the eventual red ring of death that is sure to come at some point...

but the 2 systems are very similar. i'm happy with my 360 but i know i would like a ps3 as well, they both have pros and cons

here is my .02 cents....

I like the capability of the PS3 better and think it is a slightly better system for gaming and like the blu ray player that is a nice touch. its nice to have playstaion online for free

however i have an xbox360 because most of my friends do and use it for xbox live. I think there is a wider variety of games available for 360 and its a more popular online system. but i also live in constant anxiety for the eventual red ring of death that is sure to come at some point...

but the 2 systems are very similar. i'm happy with my 360 but i know i would like a ps3 as well, they both have pros and cons

with the new xbox's you dont need to worry about the red ring of death.