Xbox or PS3?

GOBILLS78

XBox also is just about to release Kinect. Like Wii but uses a camera to track all your movements--no special controller.

PS3 has the Move, which is pretty darn sweet I might say. Haven't read much about the Kinect, and I think it is a neat idea, but there are no buttons! That really limits what you can do, like no arcade shooters.

I think the systems are pretty equal, each have their pluses and minuses, and there is not a clear winner in the eternal debate of PS3 vs XBox as it comes down to personal preference.

I'm into home theaters so I love that the PS3 has blu-ray, and consider the orig XBox 360 didn't even have built in HDMI (WTF). They didn't even include built in wireless until the most recent XBox release. So at the time I made my purchase the XBox wasn't even a decision as it didn't have HDMI, wireless, and you have to pay to play online.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS3 has the Move, which is pretty darn sweet I might say. Haven't read much about the Kinect, and I think it is a neat idea, but there are no buttons! That really limits what you can do, like no arcade shooters.

I think the systems are pretty equal, each have their pluses and minuses, and there is not a clear winner in the eternal debate of PS3 vs XBox as it comes down to personal preference.

I'm into home theaters so I love that the PS3 has blu-ray, and consider the orig XBox 360 didn't even have built in HDMI (WTF). They didn't even include built in wireless until the most recent XBox release. So at the time I made my purchase the XBox wasn't even a decision as it didn't have HDMI, wireless, and you have to pay to play online.

I suspect buttons are coming--but it's neat to have none at first. I didn't know about "Move." Guess they are all trying to get in on the Wii action.

Live play has zero interest for me so I leave that to the rest of you and I have a Blu-ray player...and agree that XBox backed the wrong horse not having it in their console. I am sure the next gen XBox will overcome that.

I don't have a preference. I got the XBox 360 way back when because it had Rock Band and that was fun to play with my daughter.

I suspect buttons are coming--but it's neat to have none at first. I didn't know about "Move." Guess they are all trying to get in on the Wii action.

Live play has zero interest for me so I leave that to the rest of you and I have a Blu-ray player...and agree that XBox backed the wrong horse not having it in their console. I am sure the next gen XBox will overcome that.

I don't have a preference. I got the XBox 360 way back when because it had Rock Band and that was fun to play with my daughter.

There's nothing to say that you won't be able to use a controller in conjunction with Kinect. For example, lean your head to the right to peer around a corner, but still hold your controller for movement.

The system can also identify who you are and automatically log you in, which is pretty awesome.

Also - Xbox didn't back the wrong horse by skipping the BD player. Why do you think the PS3 cost so much more than the 360, especially at release? It's because it had a BD player, and the laser was very expensive. This is one of the reasons the 360 has such a huge sales lead, and therefore such a huge software sales lead. Look at any game released on both the 360 and the PS3, and the 360 version always sells more units since there's more consoles out there.

There's nothing to say that you won't be able to use a controller in conjunction with Kinect. For example, lean your head to the right to peer around a corner, but still hold your controller for movement.

The system can also identify who you are and automatically log you in, which is pretty awesome.

Also - Xbox didn't back the wrong horse by skipping the BD player. Why do you think the PS3 cost so much more than the 360, especially at release? It's because it had a BD player, and the laser was very expensive. This is one of the reasons the 360 has such a huge sales lead, and therefore such a huge software sales lead. Look at any game released on both the 360 and the PS3, and the 360 version always sells more units since there's more consoles out there.

Early on it was up in the air as to which media was going to be the next generation of HD media Blu-Ray vs HDDVD. The PS3 was way expensive when it came out, and couple that with the fact it had very few exclusives it could not sell like the XBox. I think the PS3 is just now coming into maturity as it's prices have dropped and they are really releasing some exclusives that would cause someone to go PS3 vs XBox.

and they are really releasing some exclusives that would cause someone to go PS3 vs XBox.

Such as....? I haven't heard of anything but I don't generally pay attention either so I'm curious what they have to compete with.

Such as....? I haven't heard of anything but I don't generally pay attention either so I'm curious what they have to compete with.

Recent games would be God of War 3, and Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 was last years Game of the year, and is one of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen and obviously fun to play as well. Upcoming releases include Little Big Planet 2, Gran Turismo 5, and Killzone 3.

It is all personal preference as the XBox has Gears, Mass Effect (2 is coming out of PS3), Fable and Halo.

Recent games would be God of War 3, and Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 was last years Game of the year, and is one of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen and obviously fun to play as well. Upcoming releases include Little Big Planet 2, Gran Turismo 5, and Killzone 3.

It is all personal preference as the XBox has Gears, Mass Effect (2 is coming out of PS3), Fable and Halo.

Fable may have been the most boring game I ever played. I kept waiting for it to get interesting...never did. Like Myst but with people.

Edited by Peace

Fable may have been the most boring game I ever played. I kept waiting for it to get interesting...never did. Like Myst but with people.

Everyone raves about Fable 2. I haven't played it yet myself... I never heard anything about the first one.

Everyone raves about Fable 2. I haven't played it yet myself... I never heard anything about the first one.

Love Fable 2 myself. The game never really ends and the world is huge. It's a very addicting game and I'm not usually one that likes those RPG's. I still have yet to try Fable 3 but I plan on it soon.

I played Fable 2. Man I found it boring. I like an RPG but the action in that game was dull and the RPGing was not RPGing enough.

Best RPG I ever played is still Baldur's Gate. Why someone can't recreate that experience is beyond me. The follow-ups were not nearly as well done.

The lack of buttons doesn't limit what you can do at all. Over on Gizmodo's reports from talking with some of the Microsoft guys, they aren't viewing Kinect as completely replacing controllers, but to be used in conjunction with them.

One example they gave was using your head to look around while playing an FPS. They didn't want to talk specifics, but there's lots of stuff like that they can do.

Early on it was up in the air as to which media was going to be the next generation of HD media Blu-Ray vs HDDVD. The PS3 was way expensive when it came out, and couple that with the fact it had very few exclusives it could not sell like the XBox. I think the PS3 is just now coming into maturity as it's prices have dropped and they are really releasing some exclusives that would cause someone to go PS3 vs XBox.

Microsoft's banking on streaming & downloading being the way of the future, getting rid of discs entirely. I think it's probably a pretty damn good bet. That's not to say that Blu-ray won't be around a while, but myself - I'd much rather have everything streamed over the net than having to deal with storage or discs.

I played Fable 2. Man I found it boring. I like an RPG but the action in that game was dull and the RPGing was not RPGing enough.

Best RPG I ever played is still Baldur's Gate. Why someone can't recreate that experience is beyond me. The follow-ups were not nearly as well done.

Fable 2 was fantastic. However, if you like Baldur's Gate, did you try playing Dragon Age? It was supposed to be Bioware's spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and was a pretty fantastic game in it's own right.

Edited by BlueFire

One example they gave was using your head to look around while playing an FPS. They didn't want to talk specifics, but there's lots of stuff like that they can do.

I wonder how they would do that. If you turn your head, you're not looking at the screen anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, not a gamer here, and am trying to follow this thread, but want some advice from you all. Think I am going to get the boy a gaming system for X-Mas. He will turn 10 shortly after Christmas. We have a WII and a 360 now(one i bought eons ago but never really used). He has grown a bit bored on the WII, but is starting to use the 360 more. Now, i know I will prolly get shot here, but I am ok with him plaing the war games etc with a little bit of cussing in them and the violence, but things like GTA are out.

Any avice which is better? I am okay with the cost of the online play if it makes more sense to go 360.

THX

W

Okay guys, not a gamer here, and am trying to follow this thread, but want some advice from you all. Think I am going to get the boy a gaming system for X-Mas. He will turn 10 shortly after Christmas. We have a WII and a 360 now(one i bought eons ago but never really used). He has grown a bit bored on the WII, but is starting to use the 360 more. Now, i know I will prolly get shot here, but I am ok with him plaing the war games etc with a little bit of cussing in them and the violence, but things like GTA are out.

Any avice which is better? I am okay with the cost of the online play if it makes more sense to go 360.

THX

W

If you already have a 360, what exactly is your question....? :unsure:

BTW - have you actually played GTA? The media roasts it, but it's really nowhere near as bad as they make it out to be and definitely no worse than games like Call of Duty, IMHO.

The Wii is the social machine. The graphics suck. The games are for kids or parties. The XBox is the system to build on if you don't want him to do well in school.

I haven't read a lot of real-person Xbox Kinect reviews but it's Microsoft's answer to the Wii.

Edited by Peace