Talley tweets on Fitz

From Darryl Talley's Twitter on today's game:

(after one of several "tight space" completions):

"Fitz threw the ball where he shouldn't have thrown it. That's why I like him. A total Jim move."

"RT @PatrickMoranBSD: Fitzpatrick just told Ray Lewis "get off me, B word">> I'm liking this kid."

And finally:

"If Fitz keeps playin like this I wouldn't take Locker. I'd go 4 a dominant defensive player."

Huh. A member of the Bills SB squad comparing....Fitz to Kelly, and suggesting maybe we should draft on D?

I like the comment to Lewis if it's true.

Last year someone asked Perry Fewell how much of a nerd Fitz was, and Fewell's response was to fall off his chair laughing.

As much as I like fitz, I say we still go for a QB with the 1st pick. Though if he plays really well the rest of the season, it will be a hard choice. If there is some dumb luck we win like 5 or 6 games and another team grabs luck before us, then I say skip QB and draft a defensive guy or an LT. otherwise, target Luck.

As much as I like fitz, I say we still go for a QB with the 1st pick. Though if he plays really well the rest of the season, it will be a hard choice. If there is some dumb luck we win like 5 or 6 games and another team grabs luck before us, then I say skip QB and draft a defensive guy or an LT. otherwise, target Luck.

And then we can watch a QB controversy and 30 point average scored on us next year too. Great idea.

Edited by b stein 22

And then we can watch a QB controversy and 30 point average scored on us next year too. Great idea.

Only if you don't improve the defense :rolleyes:

Besides, there wouldn't be a contraversy if fitz played decent and the defense sucked. Fitz is going to start next year no matter what. If we get a QB, he is going to play behind fitz at least most of his first year and just learn.

Defense issues don't cause QB contraversies. crappy QBs cause QB contraversies, unless you are in philelphia.

Today's Buffalo News has a great interview with Harbaugh and Newsome over in Baltimore.

When speaking of how they draft, Harbaugh mentioned that they "build through the trenches" "because that is where the game is won or lost", and don't draft "one year wonders" who are projects (sounds like Maybin).

They don't overthink things, and put a premium on QB's, defensive end/pass rushers, left tackles, and defensive backs.

Sounds like we could learn a few things from Baltimore...

Note to Talley, Locker is not an option and the way Fitz is playing we need BIG GUYS in the trenches first.

We need a DC who knows what the hell is going on, not a mediocre position coach in way over his head calling wrong defenses in key situations, putting players in positions to not make plays, and allowing the opposition to score on every possession. NO defense in the NFL is as bad as Edwards has the Bills D looking. With Fewell we have at least 2 wins already and both of them would likely have been comfortable ones...

If Luck is available we take him. If not we try to trade down and grab DE Adrian Clayborne from Iowa, DT Nick Fairley Auburn, or the top LB in the draft. This whole defense is terrible including the safeties. We have absolutely no playmakers on defense.

Ugh. Just...Ugh. That's all I can say anymore to you guys who don't realize we already have a franchise QB. I pray Gailey is smarter.

Ugh. Just...Ugh. That's all I can say anymore to you guys who don't realize we already have a franchise QB. I pray Gailey is smarter.

Even if Fitz is a franchise QB, if you have a chance to grab a QB that has a good chance of being an elite QB, you grab him. Those players don't come around often.

And of course Gailey is smarter than me AND you about football. You don't coach football that long to have the average internet poster know more than you :rolleyes:.

so your prayers are answered, gailey IS smarter about football than you or me.... but to your disappointment, that doesn't mean he is going to handle things the way you want him to.

Nix just spent the last 2 weeks on the road evaluating QBs... that is a lot of time for our Top football guy to put in for a position they have no interest in drafting in...

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

That would be true if Peyton Manning were in the draft. I am not sure whether there is anyone in the draft that fits that description. If there is, great. If not, let's not take a QB with the first pick just to say that we drafted a QB with our first pick.

Even if Fitz is a franchise QB, if you have a chance to grab a QB that has a good chance of being an elite QB, you grab him. Those players don't come around often.

That would be true if Peyton Manning were in the draft. I am not sure whether there is anyone in the draft that fits that description. If there is, great. If not, let's not take a QB with the first pick just to say that we drafted a QB with our first pick.

I agree. IF luck proves to be a Big ben/peyton/rivers type, AND he is available, I say you draft him.

Look at the browns.... Anderson had a pro bowl season, and then he became garbage. Anyone who is saying Fitz is a lock is being over optimistic. I love fitz right now and I have no problem with him being the starter, but if we can get a better QB, I say it is worth it.

And what is more ridiculous is people saying that if we don't use the 1st pick on the defense the defense will suck... since when is the 1st pick the only player aquisition we are allowed to have?

But I agree with you that if Luck somehow screws up a lot, keeping Fitz is the better choice. Right now, I still like Luck more, but there is a lot of football left to play. For all I know, fitz can suddenlly suck the rest of the year and luck is huge or visa versa.

Anyone that sounds so sure of themselves doesn't know what they are talking about. We are like halfway in the season.... there should be a lot of ifs, ands, and buts in people's predictions until there is more to look at.

The very voice of reason. There is no QB worthy of the first pick in this draft. And playing for the first pick is just ridiculous. Try start to remove the culture of losing that permeates this franchise guys.

That means not coming out in the predictable spread offense at the start of the half every week when you are running the ball well. Like the fans (and the other team's defense) can't see through that B.S.

The very voice of reason. There is no QB worthy of the first pick in this draft. And playing for the first pick is just ridiculous. Try start to remove the culture of losing that permeates this franchise guys.

How do you know that when the season isn't finished?

Have you not watched a single stanford game this season? Good grief :rolleyes:.

I hope gailey/nix are smarter than you and know that there is another half+ of college football to evaluate :lol:

Nix just spent the last 2 weeks on the road evaluating QBs... that is a lot of time for our Top football guy to put in for a position they have no interest in drafting in...

Yeah Nix is on the road looking at QB's sure. But don't think he's not also looking at other players as well. He is. That's what they do. Bills are also looking for defensive playmakers. A team can win with Fitz if they have a dominant defense. If not then he's good enough to lose more than they win. I don't think Fitz is a franchise QB; I think he is a good QB with talent and heart who can win his share under the right circumstances. But he needs a dominant defense because he is good for a few bad throws every game. Need a defense who can make up for those mistakes by not giving up points.

If Luck is available we take him. If not we try to trade down and grab DE Adrian Clayborne from Iowa, DT Nick Fairley Auburn, or the top LB in the draft. This whole defense is terrible including the safeties. We have absolutely no playmakers on defense.

Clayborne will probably be an OLB when all is said and done. Just what the Bills need.

Yeah Nix is on the road looking at QB's sure. But don't think he's not also looking at other players as well. He is. That's what they do. Bills are also looking for defensive playmakers. A team can win with Fitz if they have a dominant defense. If not then he's good enough to lose more than they win. I don't think Fitz is a franchise QB; I think he is a good QB with talent and heart who can win his share under the right circumstances. But he needs a dominant defense because he is good for a few bad throws every game. Need a defense who can make up for those mistakes by not giving up points.

Agreed. We actually have playmakers in the secondary (byrd) but he is worthless with no pass rush. I don't know what is more important need for us at this point, pass rush or stopping the run. The way they worked the 4-3 today, it seems like they are trying to find a way to stop the run rather than get to the QB.

What we really need is linebackers... and if we have the 1st pick, I don't know many linebackers that were taken with that spot. But it all depends. We don't know how the bills and college players will finish, and we don't know where we are picking. so there are too many ifs, ands, or buts to really act like for sure we know where we go in the draft.

Its a no-brainer. If Fitz continues his impressive play for the rest of the year , we have no business drafting a QB. I'd say draft a dominant DL and trade back into the 1st for a T or linebacker. Defense is why we are winless this year , not our offense.

How do you know that when the season isn't finished?

Have you not watched a single stanford game this season? Good grief :rolleyes:.

I hope gailey/nix are smarter than you and know that there is another half+ of college football to evaluate :lol:

I have watched almost every Stanford game this season. What have you been watching? Andrew Luck is not a #1 pick, anymore than Colt McCoy or Jimmy Clausen was. These are guys who look good against 19 and 20 year old kids who are going to take 3 years to develop into competent NFL QBs.

Why are there so many people on this board that are okay with losing another three years?

I long ago lost faith in Bills management but the more I stay on this board I am losing faith in Bills fans.

Its a no-brainer. If Fitz continues his impressive play for the rest of the year , we have no business drafting a QB. I'd say draft a dominant DL and trade back into the 1st for a T or linebacker. Defense is why we are winless this year , not our offense.

Agreed, and if it works out that way, the team might be playoff be playoff worthy if the rookie defensive players contribute well. also, I think easley will be a nice addition to the offense as well next season.

Agreed. We actually have playmakers in the secondary (byrd) but he is worthless with no pass rush. I don't know what is more important need for us at this point, pass rush or stopping the run. The way they worked the 4-3 today, it seems like they are trying to find a way to stop the run rather than get to the QB.

What we really need is linebackers... and if we have the 1st pick, I don't know many linebackers that were taken with that spot. But it all depends. We don't know how the bills and college players will finish, and we don't know where we are picking. so there are too many ifs, ands, or buts to really act like for sure we know where we go in the draft.

This is a good opinion. What this team lacks is LBs. This is part of my argument against the "we must pick a QB with the #1 pick argument." You're sort of contradicting yourself with these posts, though. <_<

What we really need is linebackers... and if we have the 1st pick, I don't know many linebackers that were taken with that spot.

Tom Cousineau. Aundray Bruce.

Not too many others, I'm sure. Probably for a reason.

In fact, Tommy Nobis in 1966 was the only other one.

Edited by BRH

I have watched almost every Stanford game this season. What have you been watching? Andrew Luck is not a #1 pick, anymore than Colt McCoy or Jimmy Clausen was. These are guys who look good against 19 and 20 year old kids who are going to take 3 years to develop into competent NFL QBs.

Why are there so many people on this board that are okay with losing another three years?

I long ago lost faith in Bills management but the more I stay on this board I am losing faith in Bills fans.

You know, you are just as bad as the people that said Fitz is no better than a backup, but worse. HOW do you know for sure if Luck isn't worth the 1st pick? For all you know, fitz can suck the rest of the year and Luck could be awesome the rest of the year. You don't know if that will happen or not.

If you think you can predict the future so well, go to vegas and bet on fitz (you can do this) and become a millionaire. There are no sure things in football and you claiming there is is flat out wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. The best way to judge a QB is how he finishes. You wanting to judge two qbs before they finish a season is irrational.

This is a good opinion. What this team lacks is LBs. This is part of my argument against the "we must pick a QB with the #1 pick argument." You're sort of contradicting yourself with these posts, though. <_<

No I'm not. We have more that one need... saying we have more than one need isn't contradicting yourself.....

Like the guy above me said.... almost no linebackers are taken with the 1st overall pick (if that is the pick we get). So you saying a linebacker is worth the 1st overall pick but not luck is crazy. Very few linebackers get picked 1st overall.

And I sure don't think any of the linebackers in THIS draft is worth the 1st overall pick at all. But if we somehow win some games and pick 4th or 5th, Clayborne looks nice. But right now, Clayborne doesn't look like 1st pick overall material.

You know, you are just as bad as the people that said Fitz is no better than a backup, but worse. HOW do you know for sure if Luck isn't worth the 1st pick? For all you know, fitz can suck the rest of the year and Luck could be awesome the rest of the year. You don't know if that will happen or not.

If you think you can predict the future so well, go to vegas and bet on fitz (you can do this) and become a millionaire. There are no sure things in football and you claiming there is is flat out wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. The best way to judge a QB is how he finishes. You wanting to judge two qbs before they finish a season is irrational.

Sigh. Okay, now let's wait until we see how Fitz finishes. Just like we had to wait until after the Baltimore game where was supposed to get concussed and we were supposed to lose 42-3 (according to half the posters on this board). Just like we had to wait until Edwards failed to put the right QB on the field, though we (or some of us anyway) already knew who the right QB was from last year.

The longer you continue to wait and see, the longer you will be doing just that. Waiting and seeing. Paralysis by analysis.

So, fine, let's pick the discussion up again at the end of the season. I guarantee Fitz will be top 10 in the NFL statistically at that point too.

Sigh. Okay, now let's wait until we see how Fitz finishes. Just like we had to wait until after the Baltimore game where was supposed to get concussed and we were supposed to lose 42-3 (according to half the posters on this board). Just like we had to wait until Edwards failed to put the right QB on the field, though we (or some of us anyway) already knew who the right QB was from last year.

The longer you continue to wait and see, the longer you will be doing just that. Waiting and seeing. Paralysis by analysis.

So, fine, let's pick the discussion up again at the end of the season. I guarantee Fitz will be top 10 in the NFL statistically at that point too.

What else are you going to evalute talent for NEXT year? Are you saying the bills should make their draft picks now and declare who starts at each position in 2011 NOW?!?!

hahaha, that front office. What are they waiting for! next season is less than a year away and they haven't made thier draft picks and haven't announced their 2011 starting roster yet :lol:

this is ridiculous. You claiming the bills should decide their starters for 2011 this early is insane. Yes, I believe the bills should evaluate every player. free agent, and major college player before deciding how they handle the roster in 2011. But i guess they should do what you suggest and draft their players now....

From Darryl Talley's Twitter on today's game:

(after one of several "tight space" completions):

"Fitz threw the ball where he shouldn't have thrown it. That's why I like him. A total Jim move."

"RT @PatrickMoranBSD: Fitzpatrick just told Ray Lewis "get off me, B word">> I'm liking this kid."

And finally:

"If Fitz keeps playin like this I wouldn't take Locker. I'd go 4 a dominant defensive player."

Huh. A member of the Bills SB squad comparing....Fitz to Kelly, and suggesting maybe we should draft on D?

I like the comment to Lewis if it's true.

Last year someone asked Perry Fewell how much of a nerd Fitz was, and Fewell's response was to fall off his chair laughing.

I have to say ABOUT FITZ THAT Iam totaly impressessed about his play right now, what a hard player all he does is make plays and and how can you say any thing bad against him I have the greatest resect for him ,

Only if you don't improve the defense :rolleyes:

Besides, there wouldn't be a contraversy if fitz played decent and the defense sucked. Fitz is going to start next year no matter what. If we get a QB, he is going to play behind fitz at least most of his first year and just learn.

Defense issues don't cause QB contraversies. crappy QBs cause QB contraversies, unless you are in philelphia.

Lets see...AAron Rogers sat two year behind Farve..or was it three. Philip Rivers sat at least one behind Brees at SD or was it two? Only in Buffalo...we put Losman in after 1/2 a season (he was hurt first year, recall)...and we ssaw how that came out. I am thinking even a top 1 like Rogers got two year to learn.....so what makes you think any number one will succeed after one? Lets see...Mathew Stafford...Oh yeh, can't stay on the field....and lets see if Bradford makes it through the first year. Later

On another note, I remember when Jauron took us to 5-1, and we were "playoff bound" and gave him like a 3-4 year extension. Then of course the season went to hell. Good thing we didn't wait until later in the season to sign him the extension!

hahaha, this whole thing where we have to decide the roster for 2011 NOW is just.... nuts. I can't believe someone is suggesting that.

I have to say ABOUT FITZ THAT Iam totaly impressessed about his play right now, what a hard player all he does is make plays and and how can you say any thing bad against him I have the greatest resect for him ,

Yeh, and after Rosode coughs up the ball, who covers the ball. All the tough guys on the line...hell no...the QB....he hasgame, no doubt.

Lets see...AAron Rogers sat two year behind Farve..or was it three. Philip Rivers sat at least one behind Brees at SD or was it two? Only in Buffalo...we put Losman in after 1/2 a season (he was hurt first year, recall)...and we ssaw how that came out. I am thinking even a top 1 like Rogers got two year to learn.....so what makes you think any number one will succeed after one? Lets see...Mathew Stafford...Oh yeh, can't stay on the field....and lets see if Bradford makes it through the first year. Later

That is why I said at least most of his first year. Him starting after one year is optimistic. I am thinking 2-3 years is more realistic.

What else are you going to evalute talent for NEXT year? Are you saying the bills should make their draft picks now and declare who starts at each position in 2011 NOW?!?!

hahaha, that front office. What are they waiting for! next season is less than a year away and they haven't made thier draft picks and haven't announced their 2011 starting roster yet :lol:

this is ridiculous. You claiming the bills should decide their starters for 2011 this early is insane. Yes, I believe the bills should evaluate every player. free agent, and major college player before deciding how they handle the roster in 2011. But i guess they should do what you suggest and draft their players now....

No, I am not the one suggesting that the Bills draft now, or decide to draft now. Quite the opposite. Others on this board are doing that. I should search for all of the quotes. They go something like:

"If we have a top pick next year, we MUST draft a QB."

"Fitz is nothing more than a backup. He will be a great tutor for the QB that we MUST draft with our top pick next year."

You are making my point for me. What irks me is everyone saying we must replace with our top pick probably the best player we put on the field week to week. I can't understand how this makes sense to you guys.

So, yes, I will continue to come on here and post how I think this is the wrong assumption to make. I notice after today's performance a ton of the guys posting this have suddenly reversed field. I see for some of you it is going to take longer. That's okay, I'm patient.

As far as Luck goes, when he's faced a competent defense he's been merely average. How can you spend the top pick on that? Against UCLA and Notre Dame he had something like a 46% completion percentage. He thew for a whopping 151 yards against UCLA. He's a fine college QB and I wish him all of the "luck" in the world for this season, but I am not interested in my team spending a top five pick on him. If he finishes with some incredible flourish of course one could reconsider but my opinion is (and this is an opinion board) that we've pretty much seen to this point much of what we are going to see the rest of the year as the competition gets increasingly more difficult.

Edited by FightClub

No, I am not the one suggesting that the Bills draft now, or decide to draft now. Quite the opposite. Others on this board are doing that. I should search for all of the quotes. They go something like:

"If we have a top pick next year, we MUST draft a QB."

"Fitz is nothing more than a backup. He will be a great tutor for the QB that we MUST draft with our top pick next year."

Well, then I don't know what you are talking about. I said the we should wait and evalutate talent and you went on a little venting saying we shouldn't wait.... I don't know why you think we shouldn't wait to evaluate talent.

I said we should wait to decide whether or not luck was worht the 1st pick and you said THIS:

The longer you continue to wait and see, the longer you will be doing just that. Waiting and seeing. Paralysis by analysis

What are you talking about then? I thought you were saying we shouldn't wait to evaluate the talent and should just decide now..... if you can clear up whatever the hell you are talking about, it would help.

Well, then I don't know what you are talking about. I said the we should wait and evalutate talent and you went on a little venting saying we shouldn't wait.... I don't know why you think we shouldn't wait to evaluate talent.

I said we should wait to decide whether or not luck was worht the 1st pick and you said THIS:

What are you talking about then? I thought you were saying we shouldn't wait to evaluate the talent and should just decide now..... if you can clear up whatever the hell you are talking about, it would help.

I am saying that everyone who has already decided that Fitz sucks and is only a backup is wrong.

And if you want to dispute that anyone on this board has said that, then just look on the first page for all of the people who are having to eat crow for starting threads that say that or essentially that.

Somehow Fitz has to do more than have a 100 passer rating, have a brilliant game in the snow, and now have a nearly 400 yard passing effort. There's always a reason that it's not valid. Oh, the 100 passer rating was in garbage time. And oh, the great game against the Colts was because they were playing backups. At some point you have to stop "waiting and seeing" and admit you have a good QB on your hands.

Somehow I think a great Fitz game against the Colts backups in the elements is better proof of a legitimate QB that Andrew Luck tearing Sacramento State a new one. That's just me.

I am saying that everyone who has already decided that Fitz sucks and is only a backup is wrong.

..... then I dont know what you are talking about. I haven't made any decision on Fitz. I said I wanted to wait and see how fitz and luck did the rest of the season before making any decisions, and you said:

The longer you continue to wait and see, the longer you will be doing just that. Waiting and seeing. Paralysis by analysis

Tell me, WHAT is wrong with me waiting to see what fitz and luck do the rest of the season? If you have a problem with people deciding on Fitz, then go complain to them. I haven't made any decisions on fitz for 2011. I said I wanted to wait and see how these players played the rest of the season, and you said waiting and seeing would just lead to more waiting.... you aren't making any sense.

even if I said fitz shouldn't start next season, why would you tell me "the more you wait and see will lead to more waiting and seeing?" That makes no sense. You would be telling me to wait and see before making my judgments. You are picking an argument with me that you should be having with other people.

Please, start making sense. because this:

makes no sense

really, how does this:

mean this?

Those two quotes are saying the complete opposite and if you can't see that your reading comprehension is terrible.

..... then I dont know what you are talking about. I haven't made any decision on Fitz. I said I wanted to wait and see how fitz and luck did the rest of the season before making any decisions, and you said:

Tell me, WHAT is wrong with me waiting to see what fitz and luck do the rest of the season? If you have a problem with people deciding on Fitz, then go complain to them. I haven't made any decisions on fitz for 2011. I said I wanted to wait and see how these players played the rest of the season, and you said waiting and seeing would just lead to more waiting.... you aren't making any sense.

even if I said fitz shouldn't start next season, why would you tell me "the more you wait and see will lead to more waiting and seeing?" That makes no sense. You would be telling me to wait and see before making my judgments. You are picking an argument with me that you should be having with other people.

Please, start making sense. because this:

makes no sense.

Um, I think you are taking this personally. I am just responding on a message board to things I am seeing written here. Not all of them were written by you (probably...the truth is I don't know...don't really have time to keep track of that). Not all of them were written in this thread.

You started responding to my posts and asking me questions to further define what I was saying, so I did.

It seems somewhere along the way you felt my responses were directed at you.

They weren't. I don't even know who you are.

Edit to add: my quotes don't contradict each other. Many posters here are "waiting and seeing" on Fitz rather than admitting he is a good QB. The evidence is already there. How is this contradictory? If you are not one of those posters, no worries. Again, don't feel like everything is directed at you.

Edited by FightClub