Our Last Draft is Another Bust

box0life

Way too early to make judgments about this draft but ...

1. We are not getting very good production from our picks in the current season;

2. None of our picks are stand-outs in their first season to date:

3. Other teams are getting more production from their picks in the last draft (i.e., the Chiefs and the Pats); and

4. The overall talent level on the team is so poor that I would have thought there would be more production and playing time for our first year players.

Hopefully we will see more production and flashes from our first year players as the season continues.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At face value, why would be surprised that any player scouted by Modrak would not be worth a darn?

So, if you are making the case for the firing of Modrak and the rebuild of the scouting department, then I am all for it.

Nonetheless, it takes a solid 3 years to see if a draft pick can make it.

Ah...ahem...Mr. Maybin? You've got 1 year left, my friend.

1. We are not getting very good production from our picks in the current season;

3. Other teams are getting more production from their picks in the last draft (i.e., the Chiefs and the Pats); and

4. The overall talent level on the team is so poor that I would have thought there would be more production and playing time for our first year players.

Hopefully we will see more production and flashes from our first year players as the season continues.

I really agree with you on #4. The sad thing, Modrak and Co. are so bad at scouting, we've got 0 to a small handful of actual prospects to even get excited about.

It would be totally different for me, for instance, if we had a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players that were really talented, they just needed to mature as an NFL player so that they don't overcommit- let's say- on a running or passing play. But you knew, based on the talent displayed on the field, that they would be good in a relatively short period of time.

With the exception of Byrd, Spiller, and Wood...we've got nothing.

Good post!

As I said, it is very early but based on what I've seen so far after five games, this draft class has not shown much of anything so far. Perhaps labeling the draft a bust is harsh, but it appears that's where it is headed. My feeling is if they don't show some true ability early on with the lack of talent this team has, than chances are they aren't going to develop. It starts with true talent. Yes, Spiller has talent but he is not a true starting RB. The guy simply can't block. We gave Hardy three years - He got hurt and turned into a major bust, we gave McCargo four or five years bust, Should I go on: Edwards, Losman, Mike Williams, Maybin and all the other picks that showed little early on and actually looked worse as time progressed did not develop. You simply can't draft players as projects. If they can't help the team immediately, then why waste the money on them. Who wants to pay a player a large salary for three years while they try to develop. Then if they actually do develop they leave via free agency (ie. Winfield Clememts, Greer, Pat Williams). Every other team in the NFL gets immediate returns from their drafts. We get nothing until we wait for three years hoping they develop. This strategy is a real failure.

Quite honestly, if Troup and Carrington can't make plays with this team with the lack of talent they have, do you really think they are going to be stand out players later?

With Batten and Easley, early career injuries really hamper their development. I don't blame the coaches for the injuries, but if they get injured early (ie. Hardy) chances are they will be slow to develop and there is a great chance they may never reach their potential. If that happens, I feel the pick is a bust. After they got hurt, there is a greater chance they will turn into busts.

I think Spiller could be a great player. Why our "genius" coaching staff can't seem to get him the ball is a completely different problem. Although this is the same set of coaches that thought they could sprinkle pixie dust on a 31 year old DE and he'd be athletic enough to run with NFL RBs, TEs, and WRs all over the field.

Great post. I wouldn't call any of the higher picks a bust yet, but it's obvious that their impact on the team to date is close to nil.

I watched tape the other day on Marcus Easley. That kid has great potential and IMO would be starting if he hadnt gotten hurt. He looks to have great hands and is a good route runner... im very exicited to see him play next year

He's another one who probably would've increased his playing time through the season. From the few tapes I saw, he reminded me of one E.Moulds...

name me the Bills players in the last 10 years that looked like busts initially then suddenly became great

Yeah, I'd like to see some of those great busts too!

Seems like a weak draft to me b/c of Troup and Carrington. CJ is a great player you are just ridiculous on that. Selling Easley and Moats down the river is over board also.

CJ has a ton of potential, but he is far from great yet. He has only touched the ball what? 19 times so far. One awesome kick return doesn't make a player great. The rest of the class so far has been a big waste, not surprising seeing who Ralph hired to run the draft.