CBSsports Team Report/4-3 defense

Cash

Take a look at the linebackers we're using in our new 4-3 alignment:

Inside Slant

During their bye week, the Bills were using rookie nose tackle Torell Troup in a four-man line next to fellow nose tackle Kyle Williams. Marcus Stroud and Dwan Edwards were at the ends, and outside linebacker Reggie Torbor was benched, meaning Chris Kelsay and Posluszny were playing outside linebacker and Andra Davis was at middle linebacker. Posluszny has been a 4-3 middle linebacker, both in college and the NFL, but he does have the agility to play outside. Kelsay is still struggling to convert from defensive end to linebacker and seems hopelessly overmatched in pass coverage.

Does this make sense to anyone? I have two specific questions:

1.) If the opponent is in a run set but passes anyway (play-action/audible/whatever), can this front stop them?

2.) If the opponent runs anyway, can this front stop them?

I think #1 is a massive, massive NO, and #2 is probably a no as well, but I'd like to see it in action first.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelsay is a DE. Stroud is a DT. Our coaches are idiots. Common sense says to put players in positions where they can have the most impact and feel comfortable playing there. Kelsay can't cover, Stroud can't set the edge. On a positive note, the 4-3 suits us much better, as we DO NOT have many 3-4 players. Edwards and Davis are the only players with experience of the front 7. Its just ridiculous out there.

This is completely idiotic. It makes me think that Edwards has no idea what he's doing.

Kelsay is a DE. If we're playing the 4-3, put him at left DE. He's a HUGE liability as an outside linebacker, and it's hilarious that they think this is the best alignment.

If anything, I would think our 4-3 should look like this:

Defensive Line: Kelsay - Stroud - Troup - Williams (athletic and fast enough to play end)

Linebackers: Poz - Davis - Ellison/Maybin (Maybin is athletic enough to cover TE's)

It might just be crazy enough to work.... Stoping the run anyways. We get our four biggest bodies on the front line. This will hopefully create some sort of wall. I agree Kelsay staying at linebacker is nuts but maybe with the front four eating up blockers the LBs won't have to deal with the oline and can move around more... I don't think this helps in coverage because Kelsay isn't good in that area at all.. It's nice to see them try something. Maybe with this front Maybin might eventually be able to slip through a crack and get a sack... Or maybe not...

I guess I'll defer judgment until I see them play Sunday, but I can't help but wonder... is this coaching staff just :censored: with us? Can they really think that's the best lineup and use of players? I'm betting they all wear shoes with velcro straps.

This is completely idiotic. It makes me think that Edwards has no idea what he's doing.

Kelsay is a DE. If we're playing the 4-3, put him at left DE. He's a HUGE liability as an outside linebacker, and it's hilarious that they think this is the best alignment.

Defensive Line: Kelsay - Stroud - Troup - Williams (athletic and fast enough to play end)

Linebackers: Poz - Davis - Ellison/Maybin (Maybin is athletic enough to cover TE's)

I don't know if you should call out George Edwards and then suggest they start Kyle Williams as a D-End. He is not anywhere near athletic enough to set an edge on the outside. Also, and this isn't saying much, but Dwan Edwards has been our best Def. linemen aside from Kyle Williams and you want to bench him? C'mon man, and how does anyone know if Maybin can cover TEs.

I like this idea... Maybin just may be able to play the role that they're trying to jam Kelsay into. It's obvious Maybin can't play on the line at this point, but the dude looks like a safety out there. He seems to be pretty fast... who knows, might just work!

This looks like a desperate plan to try to stop the run. Doubtful it will work. Todd Heap will have a field day. :cry:

If the coverage doesn't improve, it won't be just Baltimore having a field day. The Bills still have teams like Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and a second helping of the Jets and Pats to contend w/. All of those teams have tight ends that can destroy the Bills.

The only way Kelsay's extension makes any kind of sense is if they get him back to a DE role in a 4-3. By installing a new 4-3 alignment and still leaving Kelsay at OLB makes even less sense than giving him an extension to start with. What the hell is going on around here?

Who would you line up at the linebacker position right now?

If I have said it once I have said it a million times, this roster is going to be so much different in a few years that sitting here and debating who is playing where right now is pointless. For all you know, Kelsey is going back to DE but (as sad as this seems) he is the best available player to fill that LB role for the short term while Chan see's what happens when he mixes it up with the front 4. I am not saying that is the case or that it is even close to a great idea but the bottom line is that nobody knows exactly what the coaches are looking for except for the coaches.

The end result of any of this is still years away anyway. THEN in 3 years or so you can say "they are all idiots and should be fired." :wallbash:

The only good thing about this is that it gets Troup on the field more

Let's see, Edwards is a classic 3-4 DE- out of position

Stroud is a classic 4-3 DT- out of position

Williams and Troup are fine

Posluszny is a classic 3-4 ILB- out of position

Davis is fine

Kelsay blows

So 4 out of 7 guys are either completely and utterly out of position or blow

Yay!

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't know if you should call out George Edwards and then suggest they start Kyle Williams as a D-End. He is not anywhere near athletic enough to set an edge on the outside. Also, and this isn't saying much, but Dwan Edwards has been our best Def. linemen aside from Kyle Williams and you want to bench him? C'mon man, and how does anyone know if Maybin can cover TEs.

So, you think Stroud is athletic enough to play end and not Williams??? Williams is fast, he's actually got a good spin move, and he can bull rush. He would be good at DE. He's the most athletic lineman on the team.

And as for Dwan Edwards, he has been OK. I've made sure to keep an eye on him in rewatching the games. He tends to lose contain on run plays, and gets overpowered quite a bit when pass rushing. He's as good as Spencer Johnson in my mind. Rotational DT/DE at best.

And no one knows if Maybin can cover TE's, but I sure hope he can do SOMETHING for this team. We need to experiment with him. What we do know is that he is an athletic guy. I trust him out in open space more than Kelsay. Kelsay has very little athleticism, and most of his ability is based on strength. Watching him change direction and adjust for open field tackling is really painful to watch. These coaches need to see what they have in Maybin. Practice is one thing, but if he never sees the field then it's a waste.

Edited by Got_Wood