Ryan Mallet

JPicc2114

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha well played. Wasnt sure where you were goin gwith it.

Cant base it off of 40 mins that true.

But it seems the board is now divided between luck and mallett, with locker no longer really a fan consideration. Interesting.

What happens to the luck fans if he stays. Do they become "Senator-ites" and jump on Mallett train?

There are also a good number of us who would be happy with EITHER. Personally, I back Mallett only because Ive seen him play a lot more than I have Luck. But I dont really have a horse in this race. Only what is best for the Bills. So if both come out and we have a choice, I'll go with whoever Buddy picks.

There are also a good number of us who would be happy with EITHER. Personally, I back Mallett only because Ive seen him play a lot more than I have Luck. But I dont really have a horse in this race. Only what is best for the Bills. So if both come out and we have a choice, I'll go with whoever Buddy picks.

DD, I'm in essentially in the same boat as you on this: but I'm your mirror opposite in that I'd be happy with either although I prefer Luck because I've seen him play more. I've really only seen Mallett in the Alabama game, but I want to ask you and others that have watched him extensively---- how do you feel about his ability to read and diagnose defenses on the fly?

Edited by Punch

Haha well played. Wasnt sure where you were goin gwith it.

Cant base it off of 40 mins that true.

But it seems the board is now divided between luck and mallett, with locker no longer really a fan consideration. Interesting.

What happens to the luck fans if he stays. Do they become "Senator-ites" and jump on Mallett train?

:lol:

A true 'Senator-ite' would be clamoring for Graham Harrell! ;)

But I suspect the Luck fans are equally passionate, and will keep calling for Buddy to pick him right until the day Luck states what those of us with rational minds already know - that he's staying at Stanford another year to finish his degree and play out his Junior year of football eligibility.

(Then they'll piss & moan the entire off-season that he only did that because he didn't want to play in Buffalo :rolleyes: )

DD, I'm in essentially in the same boat as you on this: but I'm your mirror opposite in that I'd be happy with either although I prefer Luck because I've seen him play more. I've really only seen Mallett in the Alabama game, but I want to ask you and others that have watched him extensively---- how do you feel about his ability to read and diagnose defenses on the fly?

I dont know that there is anyone better at it right now. The system that Petrino has him running is very Pro, and when he comes to the line he is making reads and adjustments on a regular basis.

It's a shame that youve only seen the Alabama game (which I thought he started very strongly in). Everyone wants to write him off for that game, but he was trying to make stuff happen and come from behind against (one of) the best defenses in the land. Frankly, I'll take a couple INTs if he is trying to deliver the ball. Kelly was always good for a few INTs each game. It happens to real QBs who dont checkdown every play :thumbsup:

OR . . . we could trade down (yes, assuming someone wants to trade up!) and still pick up a franchise-quality QB - several of which, at the moment, are getting less press.

I dont know that there is anyone better at it right now. The system that Petrino has him running is very Pro, and when he comes to the line he is making reads and adjustments on a regular basis.

It's a shame that youve only seen the Alabama game (which I thought he started very strongly in). Everyone wants to write him off for that game, but he was trying to make stuff happen and come from behind against (one of) the best defenses in the land. Frankly, I'll take a couple INTs if he is trying to deliver the ball. Kelly was always good for a few INTs each game. It happens to real QBs who dont checkdown every play :thumbsup:

But until he threw the picks, wasn't he playing with a lead? :unsure:

Thanks--- although I really liked him in the Alabama game, despite the hiccup in the end. It was as big of an NFL like pressure situation a young QB can face in college in front of 70,000+ and he handled it well. The last pick near the sideline is something I think he can learn from--- obviously he was trying to get it out of bounds, which was smart, but he didn't make sure it got there. He's only "Bledsoe" in that he's a big dude with a cannon, but Bledsoe was immobile and Mallett can move.

When I watched the Arkansas v. Auburn game I really got to watch both Mallet and Cam Newton. I really began to like Newton better. I understand that Mallet got hurt in the game so it wasn't a full 60 minutes of both QB's, but it was enough to get a good look. What are people's opinions on Newton.

Newton is Vince Young. If you like Vince you should like Cam. If you don't like Vince Cam is not your guy.

When I watched the Arkansas v. Auburn game I really got to watch both Mallet and Cam Newton. I really began to like Newton better. I understand that Mallet got hurt in the game so it wasn't a full 60 minutes of both QB's, but it was enough to get a good look. What are people's opinions on Newton.

This is the common reaction to that game, and Cam Newton put on a great showcase for the Heisman people, and he showed he is a great college player.

Personally, I dont see it translating into an NFL career. I think Mallett is more of a prototypical NFL QB. He may not have "flashy" games, but he throws for over 300 yards and keeps his completion percentage around 70%, every game. He's consistent, can lead his pro-style offense, and has the arm to make all the throws.

Newton did great in that game, but Mallett has the better chance at being successful in the NFL.

That was the first time I've seen Newton play - I'm guessing the same holds true for most, since he was at Blinn Junior College last season (junior college), and played in only a couple of games as Tebow's backup (at Florida) before getting himself in Urban Meyer's 'dog house'.

He looks like an exciting player, but this is is first season as starting QB for a BCS team. Pretty impressive seven wins - let's see if he keeps it up against LSU this week and thru the rest of the season, ending against 'bama.

With his red-shirt season at Florida and the year at Blinn Junior College, I can't even figure out the guy's eligibility status, but am guessing one season as a starting QB in 'the big leagues' is not enough experience to make him 'draftable' (if that's a word) in any case. If he goes undefeated and wins the Heisman, he's obviously a very hot NFL prospect in the 2012 draft.

Edited by The Senator

There are also a good number of us who would be happy with EITHER. Personally, I back Mallett only because Ive seen him play a lot more than I have Luck. But I dont really have a horse in this race.

There are three camps on the Stadium Wall right now with regard to the Bills draft future.

Camp #1: Andrew Luck

Camp #2: Ryan Mallet

Camp #3: Draft fat guy

I fall into Camp #1, and think that Luck passes my eyeball test for what I want in a QB. As with most Camp #1ers, just about all of us would also be happy with Ryan Mallet, because both camps recognize the absolute critical importance of having elite-level QB play. Heck, people in the Luck/Mallet camp would probably even be able to rationalize Jake Locker, as he is a highly-touted QB prospect and while he isn't our ideal, at least there would be a chance that we'd become a relevant franchise with him.

Unfortunately, there are a few hold-out Camp #3 folks who think that the best player on your football team should literally be fat. While people in the Luck/Mallet camps agree that having good offensive and defensive line play is important, we believe that the quarterback is the single most important player on any professional sports team in North America.

Only what is best for the Bills. So if both come out and we have a choice, I'll go with whoever Buddy picks.

Get ready for them both to come out and Buddy selects...Mark Ingram.

Stay away

your nuts. how you could make such a statement is beyond me?

i watched him play a lot the kid is going to be a great on. he is just like flacco only bigger stronger and has a better arm and is more accurate.

he also reminds me a lot of kelly but his demeanor he is one tough SOB.

so i dont know where you are coming from,the only knock you could possibly have is he is not very mobile ,neither is brady or peyton. end of story.

There are three camps on the Stadium Wall right now with regard to the Bills draft future.

Assuming we draft a QB, Luck is staying at Stanford - that's a given - and Jared Lorenzen is coaching high school.

I guess that leaves Mallett B-)

I fall into Camp #1, and think that Luck passes my eyeball test for what I want in a QB. As with most Camp #1ers, just about all of us would also be happy with Ryan Mallet, because both camps recognize the absolute critical importance of having elite-level QB play. Heck, people in the Luck/Mallet camp would probably even be able to rationalize Jake Locker, as he is a highly-touted QB prospect and while he isn't our ideal, at least there would be a chance that we'd become a relevant franchise with him.

Unfortunately, there are a few hold-out Camp #3 folks who think that the best player on your football team should literally be fat. While people in the Luck/Mallet camps agree that having good offensive and defensive line play is important, we believe that the quarterback is the single most important player on any professional sports team in North America.

Kind of like this guy? Git R done buddy, i mean he did win a superbowl

I like what I've seen from Luck and Mallet as much as most of you guys... What I am missing is how Locker is knocked out of this race. He did have the one horrible 4 for 20 game (or whatever it was) but since has picked things up and looks Big, Mobile, Strong Armed and able to throw on the run. When folks are unable to ammend their opinions on players I start to think they are just "married" to a guy in their own mind, and nothings gonna change it, leaving a very non-objective opinion. I worry that it has created a snowball effect here at TSW and we have all but ruled out Locker.

Again from what I've seen I'd go Luck, Mallet, Locker in that order but just worried about the objectivity of fans on this board. People tend to become more concerned about defending their original opinion than following things through...

I like what I've seen from Luck and Mallet as much as most of you guys... What I am missing is how Locker is knocked out of this race. He did have the one horrible 4 for 20 game (or whatever it was) but since has picked things up and looks Big, Mobile, Strong Armed and able to throw on the run. When folks are unable to ammend their opinions on players I start to think they are just "married" to a guy in their own mind, and nothings gonna change it, leaving a very non-objective opinion. I worry that it has created a snowball effect here at TSW and we have all but ruled out Locker.

Again from what I've seen I'd go Luck, Mallet, Locker in that order but just worried about the objectivity of fans on this board. People tend to become more concerned about defending their original opinion than following things through...

I agree 100% regarding the sudden Locker bashing. People will say he doesn't win as much as the other guys which is a valid argument. However, the talent surrounding him compared to what Mallet has at his disposal is night and day. I know most people around here hate the opinions of the draftniks, but I've been hearing that Mallet is mid-1st rd. pick at best right now. Things will likely change during the pre-draft circus, but do we really want a guy who can't throw five yard passes w/ any touch? I don't think our oline will so much better that it will allow for someone like Mallet to attack down the field. That is his strength, not touch and exploiting defenses underneath.

I just can't see a stud NFL QB ever going 4 for 20 in a college game, that's why I'm against Locker... just not accurate enough. BTW anyone think that Cam Newton = Tim Tebow? Take away the jesus stuff and make him white and they are basically the same player

That was the first time I've seen Newton play - I'm guessing the same holds true for most, since he was at Blinn Junior College last season (junior college), and played in only a couple of games as Tebow's backup (at Florida) before getting himself in Urban Meyer's 'dog house'.

He looks like an exciting player, but this is is first season as starting QB for a BCS team. Pretty impressive seven wins - let's see if he keeps it up against LSU this week and thru the rest of the season, ending against 'bama.

With his red-shirt season at Florida and the year at Blinn Junior College, I can't even figure out the guy's eligibility status, but am guessing one season as a starting QB in 'the big leagues' is not enough experience to make him 'draftable' (if that's a word) in any case. If he goes undefeated and wins the Heisman, he's obviously a very hot NFL prospect in the 2012 draft.

I believe that as a junior at Auburn 3 years or more removed from his senior year in HS he is eligible for the 2011 draft. He is off the charts talented in terms of physical skills but he is also a very raw talent with virtually no experience lining up under centre and operating as a pocket passer at all. If he declared for the draft in 2011 (assuming there is one)he would almost certainly be drafted after the usual QB suspects we are now all familiar with. I don't know, depending upon the team, maybe 2nd or more likely the third round. If he stays at Auburn for his senior year with continuibg spectacular success he is almost certainly a top 5 pick in 2012. The timing of the introduction of any rookie salary cap makes his situation particularly interesting though in terms of whether he comes out as a junior or not.

I just can't see a stud NFL QB ever going 4 for 20 in a college game, that's why I'm against Locker... just not accurate enough. BTW anyone think that Cam Newton = Tim Tebow? Take away the jesus stuff and make him white and they are basically the same player

agree with you on the Locker stat, but as far as Tebow/Newton goes, not even close.

Theyre the same style of player, I'll give you that. But Cam Newton, outside of 1 GREAT showing, hasnt proven anything yet. He has not won the SEC Championship, he has not single-handedly carried his team to a National Championship (let alone win 2), he does not hold the SEC record for most rushing TDs, etc.

And even after all of that experience and success, Tebow is still a "project" in NFL terms.

Newton is just now back in BCS football after taking a year to "get his head straight" down in Junior College.

The comparison isnt fair to either player really.

Edited by DrDankenstein