Ryan Mallet

JPicc2114

agree with you on the Locker stat, but as far as Tebow/Newton goes, not even close.

Theyre the same style of player, I'll give you that. But Cam Newton, outside of 1 GREAT showing, hasnt proven anything yet. He has not won the SEC Championship, he has not single-handedly carried his team to a National Championship (let alone win 2), he does not hold the SEC record for most rushing TDs, etc.

And even after all of that experience and success, Tebow is still a "project" in NFL terms.

Newton is just now back in BCS football after taking a year to "get his head straight" down in Junior College.

The comparison isnt fair to either player really.

wow 1 great showing?? Have you watched Newton this year? Guy has been dominant, he is having a far better season than Tebow every did in terms of individual stats. He obviously doesn't have the team awards b/c he hasn't had a chance to get them. I'm not saying he will... but he is certainly leading an extremely high powered offense down at Auburn. His team probably doesn't have the same kind of talent that Florida did on both sides of the ball, which could hurt him national championship-wise. And obviously he doesn't have the intangibles that Tebow has... nobody does. But as far as physical football skills they are extremely similar

Also wanted to add, that I do not think that Tebow will ever become a top-notch NFL QB, nor do I think Newton will either

Edited by jonramz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care who they get as long as they know he is the real deal (of course no one knows for sure). Someone they really think will be good and would bet the ranch on it. If that guy is not there, I hope like heck they don't reach and miss. If the real deal QB is not there, have the balls to take someone at a different position. But please, no RBs or DBs!

Edited by reddogblitz

I think he is great, with the exception of having terrible legs. He can't get out of pressure and he isn't mobile at all. The guy needs an awesome oline. Like others have said, he looks like a bledsoe type.

I have no problem with Locker or Luck.... though if we take locker, I think a 2nd round would be more fair, though he probably wouldn't last that long. I am liking luck more and more each week. After seeing years of Trent looking scared on the field, then seeing this guy make a huge hit on an opposing player.... man, that is one player that won't be scared. I would love to have him as our QB.

half the franchise QB's in the league are not mobile. manning,brady,flacco,rogers and on and on.

i have seen mallett play a lot and the guy is a very tough,accurate QB with all the intangibles. to say he is immobile means nothing the kid can flat out play and i would love for him to be a bill.

would i rather have Luck you bet.Locker i dont know,i do know Locker is barley 6'2" which scares me a little and he comes from a wishbone offense most of his career that would not work in the NFL. if QB's run in the NFL its just a matter of time before they are knocked out.

Mallett is a extremely competitive pure pocket passer with incredible size,moxie and arm strength. why you wouldn't like that is beyond me.

wow 1 great showing?? Have you watched Newton this year? Guy has been dominant, he is having a far better season than Tebow every did in terms of individual stats. He obviously doesn't have the team awards b/c he hasn't had a chance to get them. I'm not saying he will... but he is certainly leading an extremely high powered offense down at Auburn. His team probably doesn't have the same kind of talent that Florida did on both sides of the ball, which could hurt him national championship-wise. And obviously he doesn't have the intangibles that Tebow has... nobody does. But as far as physical football skills they are extremely similar

Also wanted to add, that I do not think that Tebow will ever become a top-notch NFL QB, nor do I think Newton will either

Yes, I watch primarily SEC football, and my personal favorite team is Auburn, so I've seen him play. And he does look good.

What I meant is that he's had 1 great "Nationally televised and recognized" game. Before last week, his name was mentioned a couple of times on this board. Since that game, there have been at least 10 threads about him. My point was that a lot of people were jumping on the bandwagon and crowning him after only seeing one performance.

I agreed that they are the same style of player with the same physical skill set. I just pointed out that he only has one great game that everyone has seen, and AT MOST 7 games from this year. Let's get a full season in before we start comparing him to one of the greatest NCAA football players of all time.

There is no basis whatsoever for comparing Cam Newton to Tebow, especially in the area of intangibles, which as we know professional evaluators seem to assign a lot of importance to. Tebow, whether he winds up a good pro or not, clearly established himself as one of the greatest leaders in college football history. So far, Cam is just another fantastic college athlete. While it is not necessarily fair to a young man who made a stupid mistake and may be a lot beter than that, Tim Tebow never stole a computor. They are very different people and personalities, as should be expected.

There are three camps on the Stadium Wall right now with regard to the Bills draft future.

Camp #1: Andrew Luck

Camp #2: Ryan Mallet

Camp #3: Draft fat guy

I fall into Camp #1, and think that Luck passes my eyeball test for what I want in a QB. As with most Camp #1ers, just about all of us would also be happy with Ryan Mallet, because both camps recognize the absolute critical importance of having elite-level QB play. Heck, people in the Luck/Mallet camp would probably even be able to rationalize Jake Locker, as he is a highly-touted QB prospect and while he isn't our ideal, at least there would be a chance that we'd become a relevant franchise with him.

Unfortunately, there are a few hold-out Camp #3 folks who think that the best player on your football team should literally be fat. While people in the Luck/Mallet camps agree that having good offensive and defensive line play is important, we believe that the quarterback is the single most important player on any professional sports team in North America.

Get ready for them both to come out and Buddy selects...Mark Ingram.

A 100% agree with this. Plus I would bet my left pinkie toe that Luck stays in college. If there is a lockout How does that effect a rookie signing bonus? And also why would owners sign any picks and pay a signing bonus if they know they are going to lock the players out?

So that does leave Mallet.

I'm starting to get concerned now because Carolina is 0-5 and they need a QB in a major way. I'd argue they're in a worse position at QB then the Bills.

IF Carolina takes Mallet we would be OUT OF LUCK at QB (knee slap) . I don't know if the other QBs are worth #2-5 overall. Locker has a couple classic bust signs starting with inability to get wins.

Which would lead someone to the Sullivan (spit) Rationale " Just Lose baby."

However you "play to win the game" not pin your franchises fate to the hopes of a higher draft pick.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

A 100% agree with this. Plus I would bet my left pinkie toe that Luck stays in college. If there is a lockout How does that effect a rookie signing bonus? And also why would owners sign any picks and pay a signing bonus if they know they are going to lock the players out?

I'm starting to get concerned now because Carolina is 0-5 and they need a QB in a major way. I'd argue they're in a worse position at QB then the Bills.

IF Carolina takes Mallet we would be OUT OF LUCK at QB (knee slap) . I don't know if the other QBs are worth #2-5 overall. Locker has a couple classic bust signs starting with inability to get wins.

However you "play to win the game" not pin your franchises fate to the hopes of a higher draft pick.

If Carolina takes Mallett, then we take the big fella, and wait for Nate Enderle in the 2nd/3rd.

Unfortunately, Mallett also has another year of eligibility left. If there's a lockout, what are the chances he elects to come out in 2011? I hate to be fatalistic, but I can't deny having the thought of "typical Buffalo bad luck": the year the Bills desperately need to draft a franchise QB and they also possess the #1 pick... yet the potential franchise QBs opt out of declaring, due to NFL labor issues.

Unfortunately, Mallett also has another year of eligibility left. If there's a lockout, what are the chances he elects to come out in 2011? I hate to be fatalistic, but I can't deny having the thought of "typical Buffalo bad luck": the year the Bills desperately need to draft a franchise QB and they also possess the #1 pick... yet the potential franchise QBs opt out of declaring, due to NFL labor issues.

You are correct.

7/22/2010 at 12:52pm

RYAN MALLETT: No, I'm not. I still have two years of eligibility left. I'm an Arkansas Razorback. All that stuff that comes after, if I have a chance to play in the NFL, when that time comes, we'll see. Right now I have two years left to play college football and I'm going to enjoy it.

Well that's one bright spot for Bills' fans if there is a lockout. We possibly get 2 years of talented players to pick from at the top of the 2012 draft. :cry:

Do you seriously think Carolina would pick a QB in round one, when they took Jimmy Clausen in the last draft - the 'most NFL-ready QB to come out of the college ranks in years' according to last year's pundits and at least half the armchair GMs on TSW?

the top rated LT prospect, right now thats either Solder, or carmizi, i think

or Marcell Dareus or Cameron Heyward or Adrian Clayborn

just stumbled upon this article, its actually pretty interesting "insider" article for a change.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=nfl_draft&id=5673837

But if we took Mallet at #1 and somehow Robert Quinn fell to #33. We would have our QB on offense and defense, for once the stars would align for the Bills.

Or would pass on the Robert Quinn wrecking machine for "off the field issues" and miss the chance to get a highly motivated wrecking crew in 1 dude.

I dont know that there is anyone better at it right now. The system that Petrino has him running is very Pro, and when he comes to the line he is making reads and adjustments on a regular basis.

It's a shame that youve only seen the Alabama game (which I thought he started very strongly in). Everyone wants to write him off for that game, but he was trying to make stuff happen and come from behind against (one of) the best defenses in the land. Frankly, I'll take a couple INTs if he is trying to deliver the ball. Kelly was always good for a few INTs each game. It happens to real QBs who dont checkdown every play :thumbsup:

I really like Mallet and I feel both him and Luck are easier to evaluate and project to the NFL than Locker because of the offense they run.

Mallett has an amazing arm and for a guy that big he moves well in the pocket when he has to. If people view the Alabama as a negative for Mallet they shoud held the Oregon game against Luck too.

The problem I have with Mallett is the allegedly bad reputation he had in Michigan and now Arkansas. I don't know if the rumors of him being a collosal dick are true or not, if they are, it's a huge red flag.

Edited by Luisma

I really like Mallet and I feel both him and Luck are easier to evaluate and project to the NFL than Locker because of the offense they run.

Mallett has an amazing arm and for a guy that big he moves well in the pocket when he has to. If people view the Alabama as a negative for Mallet they shoud held the game against Oregon against Luck too.

The problem I have with Mallett is the allegedly bad reputation he had in Michigan and now Arkansas. I don't know if the rumors of him being a collosal dick are true or not, if they are, it's a huge red flag.

:worthy: Jim Kelly was a colossal dick.

:worthy: Jim Kelly was a colossal dick.

Mallett was arrested for, I think, a public intoxication charge or somesuch sometime earlier this year. That doesn't scare me off considering Jim Kelly was practically bragging in his autobiography Armed & Dangerous about drunk driving (which I'd consider much worse): he had an old VW bug when he was a Hurricane that had a rusted out hole in the floor on the driver side. Whenever he would get pulled over he'd simply lift the floor mat and place the open beer bottles on the ground beneath the car.

Not exactly bright but they're college kids, after all. They're going to do dumb things and gain a bit of a reputation for an attitude. Of course, Kelly was also a douche for a long time after that. It might've helped him deal with being given "the business" from time to time on the field, and if Mallett has that same quality, we'd be lucky as all hell.

I saw Mallet play against Alabama and he looked ok, but not great. I haven't seen Luck or Locker play yet, but I've read a lot on them and it appears the consensus is that Luck is the most refined NFL ready QB right now, but that Locker has more potential, has a higher ceiling. I guess, as physical limitations go, Drew Brees is not that big, not real fast, nor does he have a rocket arm, but he sure can get it done. So, if Luck is at all like that, then that would be fine. With Locker, I'm getting a Brett Favre kind of feel from what I hear, he can be incredible, really just super good, but then can have bad patches.

As a Bills fan, I absolutely believe we need a QB, the very best we can get, and we aren't going to be here again, in this spot, with this kind of talent available, for a long time. I want the Qb to be a damn fine passer - he's got to be able to throw the ball and connect on passes. He's got to be able to read defenses. And I would really like to see a QB with toughness, with fierce competitiveness. I don't care if he is politically correct - as sickeningly as T. Edwards was, all he did was spout out exactly what was proper. I just want him to fight like a lion on gameday, come back from deficit with attitude, not whimper and pout. What I'm saying is, I'd like our next Qb to have heart, guts, fire, just as much as he has talent - maybe it's even a little more important.

I was watching NFL playbook tonight and they were talking about the Chiefs. The commented on how they had built up a good offensive line in the last few years. Then they got pretty decent QB in FA. Didn't have to burn a high draft pick on a project that may or may not pan out. Now they're 3-2. Looks like they're on the right track. Maybe this approach might be better?

I was watching NFL playbook tonight and they were talking about the Chiefs. The commented on how they had built up a good offensive line in the last few years. Then they got pretty decent QB in FA. Didn't have to burn a high draft pick on a project that may or may not pan out. Now they're 3-2. Looks like they're on the right track. Maybe this approach might be better?

Except that's not true.

The Chiefs traded for Matt Cassel. They traded a second round pick for Cassell and Vrabel. Its widely considered this was a sweetheart deal for the Chiefs. The Chiefs had to negotiate a contract at the starting point of 14 mil a season because the Pats franchised him . They ended up 6years 64 mil.

AND it hasn't really worked out as the Chiefs are expected to take a QB high in this years' draft.

So the fictional FA QB probably won't be a good way to go.