Ryan Mallet

JPicc2114

I was watching NFL playbook tonight and they were talking about the Chiefs. The commented on how they had built up a good offensive line in the last few years. Then they got pretty decent QB in FA. Didn't have to burn a high draft pick on a project that may or may not pan out. Now they're 3-2. Looks like they're on the right track. Maybe this approach might be better?

There is probably no one formula that is etched in stone. However this tells the story. KC took Branden Alpert who we shunned, along with Clady. Dickie Jauron was hell bent on McKelvin.

Case closed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mallett was arrested for, I think, a public intoxication charge or somesuch sometime earlier this year. That doesn't scare me off considering Jim Kelly was practically bragging in his autobiography Armed & Dangerous about drunk driving (which I'd consider much worse): he had an old VW bug when he was a Hurricane that had a rusted out hole in the floor on the driver side. Whenever he would get pulled over he'd simply lift the floor mat and place the open beer bottles on the ground beneath the car.

Not exactly bright but they're college kids, after all. They're going to do dumb things and gain a bit of a reputation for an attitude. Of course, Kelly was also a douche for a long time after that. It might've helped him deal with being given "the business" from time to time on the field, and if Mallett has that same quality, we'd be lucky as all hell.

That's actually quite hilarious, but I thought those were the days when a cop would pull you over ask ask you nicely to dump the beers out and get on your way....

We are going to take Luck or Christian Ponder. Both are ready for the NFL.

Locker and Mallett are both too inconsistent right now and will take time to develop. Everyone says Mallet and Locker = accuracy, but that's not true. Watch the games. They look unbelievable one drive and miss wide open guys repeatedly the next drive.

They are projects which are better off being taken in the second half of the first round to a team that doesn't need them year 1.

There is probably no one formula that is etched in stone. However this tells the story. KC took Branden Alpert who we shunned, along with Clady. Dickie Jauron was hell bent on McKelvin.

Case closed.

Of course there isn't one because as you mention 1st round draftee Branden Albert I look one spot to his right and I see an 11 year veteran and 4 time pro-bowler in Brian Waters that entered the league as an undrafted free agent.

It doesn't matter where you come from, what's important is if a player can play or not.

Case closed.

Of course, taking a quick look back at the chiefs drafting history, you'll no doubt notice that in the past 3 drafts, in rounds 1-4, they have taken 2 guards (rounds 1,3), 2 RBs (rounds 2,3), and 5 DBs (rounds 1,2,2,3,4). They took 2 DBs in the top 50 this past year, including a safety at #5. Funny how that hasn't "destroyed" the franchise, isn't it?

But lets continue to pretend that only the Bills draft DBs early in the draft.

Of course, taking a quick look back at the chiefs drafting history, you'll no doubt notice that in the past 3 drafts, in rounds 1-4, they have taken 2 guards (rounds 1,3), 2 RBs (rounds 2,3), and 5 DBs (rounds 1,2,2,3,4). They took 2 DBs in the top 50 this past year, including a safety at #5. Funny how that hasn't "destroyed" the franchise, isn't it?

But lets continue to pretend that only the Bills draft DBs early in the draft.

The Chiefs used substantial resources to build their lines and get a qb before drafting the dbs in 2010. Please stop sucking up to your boys Jauron and Levy; it takes away from your football credibility. :thumbsup:

The Chiefs used substantial resources to build their lines and get a qb before drafting the dbs in 2010. Please stop sucking up to your boys Jauron and Levy; it takes away from your football credibility. :thumbsup:

a 1st and a 3rd (their only high picks, as in rounds 1-3, on the OL since 2000) over 10 years are "substantial" resources to build their lines? Also, why aren't you trashing the chiefs for drafting a safety at #5?

But hey, way to sink to personal insults when you realize that your argument holds no water. :thumbsup:

a 1st and a 3rd (their only high picks, as in rounds 1-3, on the OL since 2000) over 10 years are "substantial" resources to build their lines? Also, why aren't you trashing the chiefs for drafting a safety at #5?

But hey, way to sink to personal insults when you realize that your argument holds no water. :thumbsup:

I am sorry that you took that as a personal insult. It wasn't meant as such, and you have posted far worse things to me, but lets talk football.

The post that you cited mentioned the LINES, not just the OL. The Bills play in the elements, which imo lends itself to basic football. This again, imo, is rushing the passer, running the football, and preventing the other team from doing so.

Yes, I DO know that the game has changed. It has, but the Bills still play in Orchard Park, NY. Dick Levy strayed away from conventional wisdom wrt the draft, and the team is still paying the price for their focus on DBs, RBs, and/or gadget players. Making things worse were the early picks by TD before his departure (Losman, Evans and Parrish). Not to be denied idiocy, Nix led off with Spiller, and took about 3 seconds to do so.

The only glimmers of hope I can see are Troup and Carrington. IF they can play, this would leave a normal organization to focus on QB and the OL. This is what I want the Bills to do because imo it is the way to win.

If the continue on with DBs and gadget players, they will continue to lose. It really is that simple.

I am sorry that you took that as a personal insult. It wasn't meant as such, and you have posted far worse things to me, but lets talk football.

The post that you cited mentioned the LINES, not just the OL. The Bills play in the elements, which imo lends itself to basic football. This again, imo, is rushing the passer, running the football, and preventing the other team from doing so.

Yes, I DO know that the game has changed. It has, but the Bills still play in Orchard Park, NY. Dick Levy strayed away from conventional wisdom wrt the draft, and the team is still paying the price for their focus on DBs, RBs, and/or gadget players. Making things worse were the early picks by TD before his departure (Losman, Evans and Parrish). Not to be denied idiocy, Nix led off with Spiller, and took about 3 seconds to do so.

The only glimmers of hope I can see are Troup and Carrington. IF they can play, this would leave a normal organization to focus on QB and the OL. This is what I want the Bills to do because imo it is the way to win.

If the continue on with DBs and gadget players, they will continue to lose. It really is that simple.

I got this draft thing covered, Bill...

Rounds 1/2 - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas/Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

(I don't care about the order - and if Buddy needs to sacrifice the next Danny Batten and/or Kyle Calloway - along with our high 2nd-round pick - to trade back into the first and grab both Mallet AND Carimi, I'm OK with that.)

Round 3 -- Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada

Round 4a - Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt

Round 4b - Owen Marecic, FB/ILB, Stanford

I'll stop there - if Buddy Nix gets those 5, he can feel free to play around with rounds 5-7 - or skip them entirely, head to the bar, and celebrate an excellent draft with a nice bourbon & branch water. :thumbsup:

Sorry mate, this regime has yet to draft a DB with any pick. When that happens in the 1st round you can talk about it and I will agree with you, I hated the Levy & Jauron combo and though their decisions will follow this team for a couple of more years they are a thing of the past.

I srreamed for Branden Albert when we took McKelvin, I loved our tackles at the time I hated the softness of our interior linemen, most notably Dockery, but it's in the past so I can't do anything about it right now.

Are Nix and Gailey perfect? Far from it, I question the Kelsay extension and I don't understand how this defense can be this bad if we have so many teachers on board (I liked they retained Catavolos and Saunders though). Hopefully Nix and Gailey are true to themselves and if Edwards is the guy that isn't cutting it as DC they can be objective and evaluate him as they are evaluating every decision they make.

I would like for this rebuilding process to be done in one clean sweep but that is hardly realistic.

In the meantime I will focus on guys like Spiller, Carrington and Troup and see what they can do with more playing time.

Go Bills.