Sabres/Canadians game...anyone watch?

Buftex

Okay, beyond the fact that the Sabres lost (again...perhaps filling the void of a Bills loss on the bye weekend?) did anyone else find the opening ceremony, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the first Sabres game, which was against Montreal, a little odd. Isn't Gilbert Perrault still a Sabres employee? He couldn't have taken the honorary faceoff against Rocket Richard? Floyd Smith only won the faceoff because Rocket let him! :rolleyes:

I think they were the players that did the original faceoff in the Sabres first game ever. It was 40 years to the day.

Oh, sorry, forgive my ignorance. I was watching the begining of the game out of earshot of the tv. My earliest Sabres memories are the playoff run and Cup Finals between the Sabres/Flyers in 1975...I knew Floyd Smith coached the Sabres, didn't realize he was a member of the inaugural team, as a player. I just assumed Bert was the starting center that night...

Okay, beyond the fact that the Sabres lost (again...perhaps filling the void of a Bills loss on the bye weekend?) did anyone else find the opening ceremony, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the first Sabres game, which was against Montreal, a little odd. Isn't Gilbert Perrault still a Sabres employee? He couldn't have taken the honorary faceoff against Rocket Richard? Floyd Smith only won the faceoff because Rocket let him! :rolleyes:

The whole thing was kinda disjointed.BTW, our glorious teams off to a 1-9 start this fall. Should get better tonight playing the Stanley Cup champs on the road with our backup goalie :doh::cry:

Get the boys back in those sweaters they wore opening night, they were smoking!! I have never bought a piece of gear in my life outside of hats, but I may actually buy one of these.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4374398&cp=3253855&clickid=body_bestsell_img

Get the boys back in those sweaters they wore opening night, they were smoking!! I have never bought a piece of gear in my life outside of hats, but I may actually buy one of these.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4374398&cp=3253855&clickid=body_bestsell_img

You like those?!?! :sick: To me they look like they were made by a 3rd rate sporting goods shop somewhere. Numbers? Hideous. Name Plate Disgusting. And they all look like they're too small on whoever's wearing 'em.

You like those?!?! :sick: To me they look like they were made by a 3rd rate sporting goods shop somewhere. Numbers? Hideous. Name Plate Disgusting. And they all look like they're too small on whoever's wearing 'em.

Loved em!!!!!!!!

And they freakin won in them.. and the ONLY game a Buffalo team has won so far :wallbash: Lordy, hate to say it, but may be tempted to watch some on that Ohio St Wisconsin game tonight if the boys continue scoring goals every 5th period.

Loved em!!!!!!!!

And they freakin won in them.. and the ONLY game a Buffalo team has won so far :wallbash: Lordy, hate to say it, but may be tempted to watch some on that Ohio St Wisconsin game tonight if the boys continue scoring goals every 5th period.

We won at Ottawa, wearing our white uniforms. The third jersey was worn at home...and we are winless at home.

Yup. those were the 2 original players that took the opening faceoff in the Sabres first home game 40 years ago

I thought Floyd Smith and Jean Beliveau did the opening faceoff 40 years ago, so I was wondering where Jean was instead of Henri. Am I wrong?

Beliveau had a minor stroke last year and does not travel much outside of Montreal.

I was afraid of something like that. He was the one who took that faceoff 40 years ago, right?

This was the Pocket Rocket, not the real Rocket!

Is that sarcasm or have you never actually seen a ceremonial faceoff?

Pretty sure the first Sabres game ever was against the Penguins in Pittsburgh, I remember listening to Ted Darling call the game on GR.