Buffalo Has No Luck

bananathumb

Just going by Mark Gaughn's article in the News today (nobody else seems to have brought it up), Andrew Luck will almost certainly stay at Stanford next year.

The biggest reason is that the potential lock-out will still be up in the air when college players have to decide whether they are coming out for the draft. If he figures there will be no NFL football in 2011, he will have all the more reason to stay at Stanford.

It is a perfect example of the Bills' bad luck that the year they need a QB and have a top pick to get one, the highest-rated one stays in school and makes the pick all that more risky (given the busts this organization has had.) Unbelievable!

That is probably the reason WHY he is staying in school!

Who cares, I dont want a little poosy California/Stanford QB anyways!

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

In the end....Mallette is not a bad fall back option

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE LEFT TACKLE WE HAVE NOW

for christ sake people...:(

Ryan Mallett reminds me of Ryan Leaf. Big and Not mobile, questionable intangibles. We could definitely use a LT and move Bell to RT. Unfortunately there are no dominant tackles in this years draft.

John Clayton, and others who study these things, have the exact opposite opinion - 2011 may be the last "Big Pay Day" for NFL Rookies in the draft. A new CBA, and/or Rookie Pay scale may not kick-in until the 2012 season. Thus, it would make much more sense, financially, to come out and declare for the draft in 2011. This may be the last chance for a rookie to earn $10million/yr - $60+million contract, for quite some time. With the next CBA, and/or Rookie Pay scale, for eg., even the top draft picks may only earn $3million/year for 5 yrs. ($15million vs $60million + 1/3 to 1/2 of that guaranteed- easy decision).

Let's hope Clayton is right and Gaughn is wrong - at least in terms of Luck (or any of the top prospects for that matter) declaring for the draft.

Also, look how recent QBs stock has fallen, when they waited a year to come out for the draft - with Bradford being the exception. Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow, and Jake Locker, to name a few, were all considered to be candidates for 1st overall before they decided to return to school. Even Brian Brohm would have been better off had he come out a year earlier, in terms of dollars and cents.

Totally agree with clayton for once

Unless things change, I would not be surprised if one of these QBs pulls a Jim Kelly/Eli Manning on us.

From our perspective (and I have said this before), if we draft a QB, we need to hit a home run given the money and everything else involved. The guy needs to be Peyton Manning rather than Ryan Leaf. If we are picking at the top of the draft and there is not a true franchise QB available, there is no point in spending the money just to say that we drafted a QB.

Just going by Mark Gaughn's article in the News today (nobody else seems to have brought it up), Andrew Luck will almost certainly stay at Stanford next year.

The biggest reason is that the potential lock-out will still be up in the air when college players have to decide whether they are coming out for the draft. If he figures there will be no NFL football in 2011, he will have all the more reason to stay at Stanford.

It is a perfect example of the Bills' bad luck that the year they need a QB and have a top pick to get one, the highest-rated one stays in school and makes the pick all that more risky (given the busts this organization has had.) Unbelievable!

This is only a surprise for folks not paying attention...I heard last year that Luck was VERY likely to stay for at least the 2011 Season in Stanford...He's supposedly very close to his Sister who also goes to school there...So it's no surprise at all to hear he's likely to stay... B-)

Ryan Mallett reminds me of Ryan Leaf. Big and Not mobile, questionable intangibles. We could definitely use a LT and move Bell to RT. Unfortunately there are no dominant tackles in this years draft.

Yep all Mallette does is put up big numbers....

This is not friggen madden you dont just take a Left Tackle and move them to Right tackle and you are automatically better.....GOOD LEFT TACKLES ARE HARD TO FIND.....when you get one that does a good job at his position then friggen leave him there and work on the other weaknesses.

Now if you want to talk about focusing on a good Right Tackle then Im with ya no doubt.....

he is just expressing his opinion which means nothing.

the only way luck will not come out is if there is an agreement on the CBA which is highly in doubt.

with a rookie wge scale coming in a new agreement luck will have no choice but to come out if no new CBA is reached by april which IMO is highly doublful.

sirius radio interviewed many NFL GM's and mike lombardi and they are all certain that luck will come out this year,lets keep our fingers crossed.

In the end....Mallette is not a bad fall back option

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE LEFT TACKLE WE HAVE NOW

for christ sake people...:(

I agree about Mallett John... Especially considering what is currently on the Roster...

And I will say this about Bell...He's improving...He's still only 26 Years old and if you go back and read what they were saying about him when he entered the NFL his career has pretty much followed the path that those who believed in his upside thought it would...He came into the NFL SO completely raw but with almost ideal Frame and athletic ability...He needed a TON of work in the weight-room (which I'm assuming he's done) and a ton of PT (which has, for better or worse, been forced upon him)...He's still going to struggle at times, and he has struggled at times this year...That's a given because he's still relatively new to the Game and he had the injury to boot...He's definitely not a mauler, but honestly at this point, assuming he continues to improve and get healthier, I don't see a LT from the 2011 Draft beating him out anyway...And it should be noted that whipping boy or not, Bell's play is about on par with some recent Top 10 OT Draft Picks...Sure The Bills could use a Franchise caliber LT...But compared to QB, RT, LB, and a few other Positions...Bell is actually OK...And there is hope he will get MUCH better... B-)

Yep all Mallette does is put up big numbers....

This is not friggen madden you dont just take a Left Tackle and move them to Right tackle and you are automatically better.....GOOD LEFT TACKLES ARE HARD TO FIND.....when you get one that does a good job at his position then friggen leave him there and work on the other weaknesses.

Now if you want to talk about focusing on a good Right Tackle then Im with ya no doubt.....

you might have an argument if Bell was even adequate at LT- which he is not

you need a LT and a RT - in addition to a C that does not resemble a revolving door-

could be Wood, but they did not keep Incognito to make that experiment work

Unless things change, I would not be surprised if one of these QBs pulls a Jim Kelly/Eli Manning on us.

From our perspective (and I have said this before), if we draft a QB, we need to hit a home run given the money and everything else involved. The guy needs to be Peyton Manning rather than Ryan Leaf. If we are picking at the top of the draft and there is not a true franchise QB available, there is no point in spending the money just to say that we drafted a QB.

A QB refusing to sign would be the nail in the coffin for this franchise. Someone will make the point it didn't hurt SD in 2004, but the scenarios are completely different aside from Nix being in both places. SD already and unknowingly had a top QB on the roster and received a king's ransom for the pick from NYG.

Several respected people have come out and openly questioned how the BIlls operate, including Pat Kirwan, Jay Glazer, and Adam Schein. For a #1 pick to pull a John Elway on Buffalo would make clear the fact that Buffalo can't compete and isn't willing to do so.