Is Poz a cornerstone?

I have mixed feelings about Poz. He's one of our cornerstone players (hold on poz haters). But the question is what does that mean, and is that saying much?

Does that mean he's the best on a team totally lacking high end talent, but in comparison to other cornerstone LB's, really not very good? Or is he individually more talented than he's able to showcase because of those around him? And therefor just simply needs upgrades around him for his potential to materialize? I'll submit when Poz is out, this team is noticeably worse and misses him sorely on the field. But again I ask, does this mean he's missed because of how good he is, or because the rest of the team is just that bad?

These are the million dollar questions, and the heart of the debate.

My personal feelings are;

My heart tells me Poz can be an impact player if the supporting cast was better. But my brain tells me he just isn't a great talent. If you're great you're great, no matter who's around you. In fact your greatness elevates those around you, and they are the one's that look better because of you. If you can't inspire greatness out of others, how can you yourself be great? So in conclusion, I think Poz is a decent player. He's a good tackler and has a nose for the ball. He lacks the overall speed and strength needed to maximize his instincts. He's a hard working smart football player, that just doesn't have the god given skill set to be an impact Linebacker.

doesn't fit 34 and makes tons of tackles but always down the field. He needs to show some nasty out there decimating players not grab and roll them to the ground. Poz if you are reading this look at Clay Matthews, he plays with a vengeance, tries to rip guys heads off and plays like every play is his last. If you can do that you would be great but thus far it's not happening.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about Poz. He's one of our cornerstone players (hold on poz haters). But the question is what does that mean, and is that saying much?

Does that mean he's the best on a team totally lacking high end talent, but in comparison to other cornerstone LB's, really not very good? Or is he individually more talented than he's able to showcase because of those around him? And therefor just simply needs upgrades around him for his potential to materialize? I'll submit when Poz is out, this team is noticeably worse and misses him sorely on the field. But again I ask, does this mean he's missed because of how good he is, or because the rest of the team is just that bad?

My heart tells me Poz can be an impact player if the supporting cast was better. But my brain tells me he just isn't a great talent. If you're great you're great, no matter who's around you. In fact your greatness elevates those around you, and they are the one's that look better because of you. If you can't inspire greatness out of others, how can you yourself be great? So in conclusion, I think Poz is a decent player. He's a good tackler and has a nose for the ball. He lacks the overall speed and strength needed to maximize his instincts. He's a hard working smart football player, that just doesn't have the god given skill set to be an impact Linebacker.

He !@#$ing sucks....I was at the game last week and he was getting thrown around like a rag doll.He made one play behind the line of scimmage the rest are 6 to 12 yards down field.

Poz = Kelsay. Whoopeee.

He's the best of a sorry group of LB's. If there is not an upgrade why would we let him walk? Guys - we suck. Let's not create more holes to fill than we already have.

Because he is not very good and will probably want Kelsay money. Then we will have $12 mil a season tied up in less than average LBs.

The problem with the Kelsay signing is that we have the worst LB core in NFL history plus if we bring in any good rooks or free agents they'll all be looking up at Kelsays contract. Potential situation like when Mogilny was making 500mil and the rest of the team was making 300k.

2 of the Bills top 4 picks has to be DE/LBs. If Pos is signed or not.

Yes, exactly

One person cant change the the defense. If you are on a team that has no talent you are going to look bad. Its a team game and when the rest of the team sucks you are going to look bad because you cant possibly do everything. He gets a lot of tackles making up for missed tackles. He might be injury prone, but he is the best linebacker on this team. It would be a step backward for the team to just dump him at the end of the season.

I wonder what Bill Bellichick would do with Poz??

Your analysis fits Poz to a tee. He lacks the athletic ability to be a good linebacker at the NFL level. Not enough speed and power. And he has poor instincts on where the play is heading. I don't think he starts for most teams. I would keep him as a backup, but nothing more. His pass coverage skills are atrocious. Some of you say keep him so we don't have another hole to fill. Why keep subpar players on your roster? It doesn't make sense. He is no better than Ellison (who is very physically limited-but has a better feel for the game) or Digiorgio before his injury. I think Poz has NO upside from where he is. I would get rid of him, Donte, Stroud, Kelsay, Torbor, Maybin and Scott for starters. We need a ton to compete on defense in the future. I don't see Poz as part of that.

You mean stepping stone?? If so then YES!!

I thought Poz was a pretty solid pickup in the 2nd round, after the Bills missed Patrick Willis by one pick. The Bills drafted Lynch with the next 1st round selection, and then traded up a few slots with the Lions in the 2nd round to get Poz. On the surface it looked like a solid move, as middle LB was a definite need position (necessitated by the Bills determining- like they did with Pat Williams- that London Fletcher was "done". A few Pro Bowl seasons later...)

After having watched Poz play for several seasons, he is nothing special. He makes tackles, just as every team's middle LB does. When Poz missed the almost the entire season in '07, his replacement Jon Digiorgio led the Bills in tackles. So the statistics don't always tell the story. Nobody would call Digiorgio a cornerstone player.

The eye test tells me Poz just isn't an impact player. It's incredible what 23 slots in the NFL Draft differentiates. Willis went #11 overall, while Poz went #34. Surround Willis with any players you want, including Buffalo's defensive roster, and he would be an impact player. No question about it, he proved it his rookie year in SF. Poz's speed is lacking, it's rare that he lays a big hit or makes a game-changing play, and he is absolutely awful in pass coverage.

For the record, here are the other LB's surrounding Poz in the draft:

#11- Patrick Willis (SF)

#15- Lawrence Timmons (Pit)

#25- Jon Beason (Car)

#34- Poz (Buf)

#47- David Harris (NYJ)

#48- Justin Durant (Jax)

#68- Quincy Black (Tam)

#69- Buster Davis (Ariz)

Here's Mark Gaughan's opinion. I happen to agree with it. Why create yet another hole?

Q: What do you think of Paul Posluszny? Good player or just a guy? -- David Henderson, Cleveland.

A: Great question, and one several others have submitted. I think Posluszny is a good inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense. Put him around some better personnel and I think he'd look better. If he shows he can stay healthy this year, I'd re-sign him. This is a big decision for Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey, since he's in the last year of his contract. I think they know what they've got in Poz, and I would rather fill that spot with Poz than create another hole in the lineup and go searching for a replacement. That being said, I know what you're probably thinking. I wish he'd make a big play soon and make my opinion look stronger.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article220231.ece

The thing is Poz has never become the player that we all wanted him to be, whether it was because of injury or that he just never possessed the talent to be a difference maker. I have not once seen Poz stick someone up, the ball carrier is usually able to fall forward after coming into contact with him. For a MLB, you want someone who is a great run stuffer, which Poz is not. He gets in on all the tackles but what MLB doesn't? most leading tacklers in the NFL are MLB. He won't ever be a cornerstone but the problem is this team has so much more to worry about other than MLB so thats why i say resign him. He is decent enough where he can contribute but he is not going to be making any big plays. Oh and Poz was not very good in covering the middle of the field during pass situations. I vividly remember plenty of times that the TE would run seam routes and he was always a couple steps too late to even have a chance on the ball. Serviceable for now.

I thought Poz was a pretty solid pickup in the 2nd round, after the Bills missed Patrick Willis by one pick. The Bills drafted Lynch with the next 1st round selection, and then traded up a few slots with the Lions in the 2nd round to get Poz. On the surface it looked like a solid move, as middle LB was a definite need position (necessitated by the Bills determining- like they did with Pat Williams- that London Fletcher was "done". A few Pro Bowl seasons later...)

After having watched Poz play for several seasons, he is nothing special. He makes tackles, just as every team's middle LB does. When Poz missed the almost the entire season in '07, his replacement Jon Digiorgio led the Bills in tackles. So the statistics don't always tell the story. Nobody would call Digiorgio a cornerstone player.

The eye test tells me Poz just isn't an impact player. It's incredible what 23 slots in the NFL Draft differentiates. Willis went #11 overall, while Poz went #34. Surround Willis with any players you want, including Buffalo's defensive roster, and he would be an impact player. No question about it, he proved it his rookie year in SF. Poz's speed is lacking, it's rare that he lays a big hit or makes a game-changing play, and he is absolutely awful in pass coverage.

For the record, here are the other LB's surrounding Poz in the draft:

#11- Patrick Willis (SF)

#15- Lawrence Timmons (Pit)

#25- Jon Beason (Car)

#34- Poz (Buf)

#47- David Harris (NYJ)

#48- Justin Durant (Jax)

#68- Quincy Black (Tam)

#69- Buster Davis (Ariz)

You also left that we moved up in the draft to get Pos.

From #43 to #34

When I think 3 years later everyone would rejoice if we could trade POS for David Harris straight up.

I think you're partly right about him. He's a good, not great, player and has both positives and negatives. I still think if we played a more traditional 2 gap 3-4 with a 0 tech NT, he'd play a lot better. He's limited in coverage to an extent, but not to the point of being a liability for the most part. He seems to blitz well enough when given the chance too. I think he's got to get re-signed because we don't have a chance of getting anyone to fill his spot considering all the other hoels we have. I'd much rather the Bills keep him and get better at OLB, which would make him look at lot better. There are only 2 or 3 MLBs in the league that would look good in our talent-less defense now, so I don't think it's fair to say he's part of the problem.

You also left that we moved up in the draft to get Pos.

From #43 to #34

When I think 3 years later everyone would rejoice if we could trade POS for David Harris straight up.

I did mention that they "traded up a few slots in the 2nd round with the Lions." But yes, your point remains.

The thing I noticed when looking back at that draft was that the Bills used their #1 pick to replace McGahee, whom they drafted with a #1 pick to replace Henry. They drafted Poz to replace London Fletcher. They ran off players who were solid contributors (or more) and just created unnecessary holes. Here they are, three years later, doing the exact same thing by drafting Spiller and shipping Lynch.

That's why, while I don't think Poz is a long-term answer (or not a "cornerstone" to keep with the theme of the thread) I agree with others who have stated that it wouldn't be wise to just run him out of town. Try to sign Poz to a fair deal (the Kelsay signing has made this much more difficult) and keep building the roster. Otherwise, we'll just be chasing our tail until it's time to draft Spiller's replacement in 2013!!

Put him on the Jets or Ravens and he will be an all world outside LB . I say re-sign the guy as we have novbody better. Is injury prone but maybe best for outside LB in a 3-4 or a 4-3.

You're dreaming. Poz would not start for either team. Hard to be all world when you're not in the starting lineup.