Put yourself in our players shoes

major

Suppose your boss came to your office one day and told everyone that the company is in shambles. The boss goes further on to say that its going to take us years to be respectable. As an employee, you're probably going to start sending out your resumes to as many companies as possible looking for new employment. Now, imagine you are one of our QB's who just heard his boss say that he's going to draft a QB next year. Are you going to work as hard as you can to help this team win now, or are you going to show up each day, do as little work as possible, knowing that you're going to be let go by the end of the year.

I can't remember a time in recent memory where an owner of an NFL franchise came out and told his fan base and team that it's going to take a few years to rebuild. No one does that for obvious reasons. I'm afraid a lot of players and fans just checked out. Again, how would you feel if you were a player on this team?

These guys have to drive their stock UP as much as possible when on field.

Also, I don't have a bonus in the millions...

I don't feel sorry for these guys...we're in shambles b/c they aren't getting it done on the field. Obviously the FO is responsible for having them here at all in a position to fail...but...just...no.

Edited by dayman

Suppose your boss came to your office one day and told everyone that the company is in shambles. The boss goes further on to say that its going to take us years to be respectable. As an employee, you're probably going to start sending out your resumes to as many companies as possible looking for new employment. Now, imagine you are one of our QB's who just heard his boss say that he's going to draft a QB next year. Are you going to work as hard as you can to help this team win now, or are you going to show up each day, do as little work as possible, knowing that you're going to be let go by the end of the year.

If there is a good chance they are going to pay me seven figures to be the back up 'me' next year, I'd probably be able to muster up a little effort.

I can't remember a time in recent memory where an owner of an NFL franchise came out and told his fan base and team that it's going to take a few years to rebuild. No one does that for obvious reasons. I'm afraid a lot of players and fans just checked out. Again, how would you feel if you were a player on this team?

A lot of these guys know that if they check out, they may be checking out of the NFL for good. I don't have any problem with Ralph giving an honest assessment.

if youre good you probably feel like youre in jail

if you suck then youre probably happy youve got a place to collect a nice paycheck for a while longer (cough green cough)

if youre young then you should look at it as a great opportunity to learn and grow in an attempt to stay in this league somewhere

I too would work hard; however, I would be faxing out resumes as fast as I could. You are right, they have to show future employers/teams that they are valuable; therefore, they will work hard. I just feel bad for them, even though they do make millions. It sucks that our owner and front office have allowed our company/team to get this bad. Sometimes I wish Ralph would save us the heartache and put our team up for sale today. That way we would have closure on a lot of issues - whether we are staying in Buffalo with a new owner or moving with a new owner.

Bad analogy and tough crap for the players. i have little sympathy for the Bills. This team has such little character, no wonder the guys from the 90's are calling them out.

The game is played in a public venue with media scrunity. Ralph is not the first owner, or coach for that matter, to discuss things like this publicly. Did you see what Singletary did to his QB last week in the middle of a game in the home stadium? The players get paid extremely well. Even the marginal bench warmers do. Cornell Green is making millions to jump offsides in the red zone.

In a real company the first thing that would happen would be benefits cuts, then pay cuts, then lay-offs. Do you see any players or front office people taking a pay cut?

I too would work hard; however, I would be faxing out resumes as fast as I could.

Here's the problem. A company (and its success/failure) is primarily dictated by the quality of the people. We work for the worst company in the whole industry. Which of our competitors is going to want any of us, much less be willing to fire their existing employees and replace them with one of us?

Edited by KD in CT

In a real company the first thing that would happen would be benefits cuts, then pay cuts, then lay-offs.

The other thing most companies would do is perform some root cause analysis to identify the problem areas, document the current processes, develop a list of process improvements, define a future state, and then develop a transition plan to be executed in order to redefine the organization based on the vision of the future.

Losing is just a symptom of the problem. The lack of talent is just a symptom of the problem. No franchise QB is just a symptom of the problem. Bad drafts are just a symptom of the problem. Poor free agent signings is just a symptom of the problem.

The root cause (if I might jump ahead) is the management team cannot properly evaluate and acquire the necessary talent to produce a winning team on the field. So the solution is to re-train the current staff in proper player evaluation techniques (whatever they might be) or replace the management team with a group of professionals that can correctly evaluate and acquire talent.

I'll wager that while Ralph recognizes the problem he will do absolutely nothing fundamental to change the organization, management personnel, reporting structures, or the business processes used at OBD. What we're likely to see is some token cosmetic gesture aimed at producing the illusion of progress while in reality nothing will change.

While I started the season with a positive outlook I'm becoming more and more negative and I'm afraid we're at the mercy of blind luck rather than some well thought out strategy to achieve success on the field.

Well if I were making a million plus a year then I would be happy, and If they draft a QB and I'm demoted to second string where I don't have to get hit every week and still make millions I'm still happy...

If I was making 3+ million per year and had received a 10+ million dollar signing bonus? Who cares? I'd do it until the contract ran out and then laugh my ass to the bank.

Just like 90% of the current Bills players.

Edited by VABills

An important point I don't see anyone else has brought up is the impact a statement like Ralph's makes to free agents. To state we lack talent and it's going to take years to get back on track, what free agent in his prime is going to want to come to the Bills?

Would you want to sign on in the prime of your career because you think this team is going to improve?? Hell no. With statements like that the only free agents the Bills are going to attract are those with marginal talent that want as top dollar as they can get....... (see Marcus Stroud and Kawika "I go to who pays me the $$" Mitchell)

An important point I don't see anyone else has brought up is the impact a statement like Ralph's makes to free agents. To state we lack talent and it's going to take years to get back on track, what free agent in his prime is going to want to come to the Bills?

Would you want to sign on in the prime of your career because you think this team is going to improve?? Hell no. With statements like that the only free agents the Bills are going to attract are those with marginal talent that want as top dollar as they can get....... (see Marcus Stroud and Kawika "I go to who pays me the $$" Mitchell)

Relax. It's nothing they don't already know.

I totally disagree with your point. The players have a responsibility to the game and winning or getting better every week should be the number one priority. As a fan this is what I expected. I do not have sympathy for under achieving millionaires. As a fan I expect more and if the team or the players cannot meet my expectations I will check out. I will not root for another team I simply do not care as much about football as when we are winning. Fair weather, no, just a realist, and yes I remember the 1970’s.

Sports is entertainment. I focus on different entertainment needs, Go Sabers! The Bills have not been very entertaining for several years. I will never feel sorry for a player’s feelings. In Public Safety and the Military do you honestly think people care about their feelings. NO they do not. However, they are expected to do their job to the best of their ability get it right when their life is on the line. This is much more important than Professional Sports.

Maybe just maybe... If I were a QB on the team, I would work harder to show the powers to be that I am the guy and they can spend their first pick on a different position. Assuming I had any pride in what I do.

Am I still making a ton of money? Even millions?

The other thing most companies would do is perform some root cause analysis to identify the problem areas, document the current processes, develop a list of process improvements, define a future state, and then develop a transition plan to be executed in order to redefine the organization based on the vision of the future.

Losing is just a symptom of the problem. The lack of talent is just a symptom of the problem. No franchise QB is just a symptom of the problem. Bad drafts are just a symptom of the problem. Poor free agent signings is just a symptom of the problem.

The root cause (if I might jump ahead) is the management team cannot properly evaluate and acquire the necessary talent to produce a winning team on the field. So the solution is to re-train the current staff in proper player evaluation techniques (whatever they might be) or replace the management team with a group of professionals that can correctly evaluate and acquire talent.

I'll wager that while Ralph recognizes the problem he will do absolutely nothing fundamental to change the organization, management personnel, reporting structures, or the business processes used at OBD. What we're likely to see is some token cosmetic gesture aimed at producing the illusion of progress while in reality nothing will change.

While I started the season with a positive outlook I'm becoming more and more negative and I'm afraid we're at the mercy of blind luck rather than some well thought out strategy to achieve success on the field.

This is a great post.