Buddy going out on the road?

Being at the games is much better than watching it on television, that's for sure---- plus, and I may be wrong on this, but I believe NFL front office personnel have the ability to review the coaches' game film at the school's practice facilities during the season. He's probably not working out the QBs themselves (I don't think that's allowable) but he is doing more on the road than merely attending games.

Is he going to visit the college, watch the practices, and work out the QB's. I don't think so.

He will only be able to see 2 games in person - one each week?

Not quite sure why this is better than just watching the game on TV?

Cuz there's a lot of things that TV DOESN'T show you? Shocker...i know.

I recommend fans read "The GM" about Ernie Accorsi's last year as GM for the NY Giants. When Accorsi was faced with a top pick in 2004, he personally scouted Eli Manning and said that was his guy. He also scouted Jeremy Schockey in 2002 and even went to his hometown. And if my rep was dependent on a high pick, I'd want my GM to personally see a guy if he chooses to pick him.

GM's do indeed scout, and I have no issue with Buddy doing this. He has an Asst. GM in Whaley who's been around for a few years. Besides, don't they have phones now? It's not like the guy is completely out of touch if he's not physically at OBD.

I recommend fans read "The GM" about Ernie Accorsi's last year as GM for the NY Giants. When Accorsi was faced with a top pick in 2004, he personally scouted Eli Manning and said that was his guy. He also scouted Jeremy Schockey in 2002 and even went to his hometown. And if my rep was dependent on a high pick, I'd want my GM to personally see a guy if he chooses to pick him.

GM's do indeed scout, and I have no issue with Buddy doing this. He has an Asst. GM in Whaley who's been around for a few years. Besides, don't they have phones now? It's not like the guy is completely out of touch if he's not physically at OBD.

That really is a great read. I like how he did trust other people in the war room and listened, but when it came to using a top pick on a QB, he was firm on that decision because it was so important and he put the most time into it.

I very much recomend that book to everyone. You don't have to be a giants fan for it to be very enlightning.

We need to slip a little tracking device in his shoe and track him like Santa on Christmas Eve..theorize based on where he goes and how long he's there...haha...sounds more entertaining than the Bills probably.

Edited by dayman

Is he going to visit the college, watch the practices, and work out the QB's. I don't think so.

The game isn't as important as the other things.....at least, sometimes. I'll try to explain. I'm sure the Bills have any number of countless hours of film to study a guy. They can see that stuff on tape all they want. However, that's only a part of what GM's are looking for.

I played D-1 baseball. When I was being recruited, the school that ended up with me came to two of my games. I also visited their campus. The last game they came to, I was friggin terrible. A couple of errors, one of which ended the game. Ironically, we were playing Terrell Pryor's school, which is a ghetto school, and they beat us in baseball for the first time in school history. I was ashamed, and obviously thought I blew the scholarship.

When I got home, the coach was there having dinner with my family, and he told me that they would be offering me a scholarship, and I kind of chuckled and told him I thought I blew it today. He said that he saw enough of me on film to warrant the visit. When he arrived, he actually watched me take ground balls and hit in pregame and saw everything he needed to see. He wasn't all that interested in the game itself. He saw enough things in my pregame stuff that he thought I could learn when he started teaching me in college. He talked to my coach, and visited two teachers. So, he knew that I was going to be offered a scholarship before I even played the game. Which was awful. He then proceeded to rip on me for losing to the school we lost the game to (Jeannette).

I'm sure Nix is doing the same things. Let's just say he's interested in Luck. I'm sure he's going to watch his practice habits. How he works in pregame. Try to have a conversation with Harbaugh, etc. There are so many things you can pick up outside of a game that I'm sure he's looking for. Then, watch for how all of that culminates in the game itself.

I know a lot of what I said is common sense, but a visit to see someone is so much more than just watching the game that's being played. In all due respects, it may be the least important part.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Geez. Butler always went out on the road, both in Buffalo and in SD. It's hardly a bizarre thing for a GM to do, especially one whose roots are in scouting. Let's let this particular criticism die ...

His "roots" are in scouting? Interesting way to put it. He has never been anything other than a scout until being given this job for which he's not qualified. He's a washed up scout who couldn't get a job with any other team as anything but a part time adviser.

How many 70 year olds you work with?

His "roots" are in scouting? Interesting way to put it. He has never been anything other than a scout until being given this job

He was also assistant GM. And he resigned from there on his own free will.

Really, it seems like you have a bigger issue with his age than his ability. There are a number of reasons why he wouldn't get a GM job until now... if you don't know that, then you must have never worked in an executive setting. Big business is VERY political, and a lot of friendships, conections, and other issues come into play in the business world. The "best guy" doesn't always get the job.

I am not a huge nix fan, but when you rag on the guy and end it with his age, that is just foolishness. There was what? 2 people out there with GM experience? And one of them was bruce allen? I have no hate for Allen, but no love for him either. Dungy was more helpful with the bucs than he was... following the bucs down here, allen made more mistakes than a GM should. There aren't that many people with GM experience. The next best thing is assistant GM experience. Which nix has. Nix is not "just a scout" like you claim.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Yeah, I'm sure Buddy is going to go to these colleges and hope to scalp some tickets so hopefully he can get a nice view from the upper deck...