Luck vs. Locker

TDawg1313

Disclaimer: I'm a Washington Husky fan, so I have seen Luck and Locker play a ton. Chances are that one of them could end up on your team next year, so I thought I would join to provide some insight.

Luck is money on anything less than 15 yards. He is very cerebral and is able to identify mismatches, soft spots in coverage, etc. He's fairly accurate, but not Bradford accurate. Any throws over 15 yards he seems to float a lot. He doesn't have a cannon and relies on his receivers to make plays, his mismatches, or for his WRs to be wide open to complete any longer passes. He is a very good scrambler, but not ridiculously fast. I would compare him to Aaron Rodgers scrambling wise. He knows when to do it and is successful when he does usually. One thing that Luck has going for him is one of the best offensive lines in college football. Those guys know what they are doing and are incredibly physical. He is great at managing the game and taking what is given to him. He could come into the NFL and be a solid QB right away, but never a superstar IMO.

Locker is a 2-3 year project IMO. He would be great for a team like the Seahawks who have an established QB that is almost done with his career. Locker has the highest upside of any QB in recent memory though. He can make every single NFL throw you could think of, and make them on the move as well. He's just a freak physically, running a 4.39 this spring at 6-3 230 lbs. An NFL GM that watched him play last year said he was "a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young." His game will get a lot of complaints from fans who don't know the situation he is in very well because they will site his completion % and his overall record. This is only his 2nd year of his life that he has had a QB coach and has run an offense that isn't a Wing-T or a Spread Option. To make matters worse, the offensive line is horrendous and his WRs drop a ton of easily caught balls. Against ASU, he wasn't given enough time by his O-Line for any play longer than 15 yards to even develop. He also had a few perfect passes that hit his WRs in the facemask and he even played with the flu.

Basically, if both of them come out, I would recommend taking Luck if you want a QB who will help immediately although he will likely stay as a mid-tier NFL QB imo. If you had a QB that could play for a year or two, then I would take Locker. Locker has more upside, but Luck is more of a sure thing. I think NFL teams will see the same thing which is why I believe Luck will go in the top 5 to a team that needs him to play right away and Locker will go somewhere in the middle of the 1st round to a team with an established QB but is in the middle tier.

If you have any questions about either, I could try to answer them. I know Luck pretty well and I have watched Locker since he was in High school so I could answer anything about him.

Disclaimer: I'm a Washington Husky fan, so I have seen Luck and Locker play a ton. Chances are that one of them could end up on your team next year, so I thought I would join to provide some insight.

Luck is money on anything less than 15 yards. He is very cerebral and is able to identify mismatches, soft spots in coverage, etc. He's fairly accurate, but not Bradford accurate. Any throws over 15 yards he seems to float a lot. He doesn't have a cannon and relies on his receivers to make plays, his mismatches, or for his WRs to be wide open to complete any longer passes. He is a very good scrambler, but not ridiculously fast. I would compare him to Aaron Rodgers scrambling wise. He knows when to do it and is successful when he does usually. One thing that Luck has going for him is one of the best offensive lines in college football. Those guys know what they are doing and are incredibly physical. He is great at managing the game and taking what is given to him. He could come into the NFL and be a solid QB right away, but never a superstar IMO.

Locker is a 2-3 year project IMO. He would be great for a team like the Seahawks who have an established QB that is almost done with his career. Locker has the highest upside of any QB in recent memory though. He can make every single NFL throw you could think of, and make them on the move as well. He's just a freak physically, running a 4.39 this spring at 6-3 230 lbs. An NFL GM that watched him play last year said he was "a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young." His game will get a lot of complaints from fans who don't know the situation he is in very well because they will site his completion % and his overall record. This is only his 2nd year of his life that he has had a QB coach and has run an offense that isn't a Wing-T or a Spread Option. To make matters worse, the offensive line is horrendous and his WRs drop a ton of easily caught balls. Against ASU, he wasn't given enough time by his O-Line for any play longer than 15 yards to even develop. He also had a few perfect passes that hit his WRs in the facemask and he even played with the flu.

Basically, if both of them come out, I would recommend taking Luck if you want a QB who will help immediately although he will likely stay as a mid-tier NFL QB imo. If you had a QB that could play for a year or two, then I would take Locker. Locker has more upside, but Luck is more of a sure thing. I think NFL teams will see the same thing which is why I believe Luck will go in the top 5 to a team that needs him to play right away and Locker will go somewhere in the middle of the 1st round to a team with an established QB but is in the middle tier.

If you have any questions about either, I could try to answer them. I know Luck pretty well and I have watched Locker since he was in High school so I could answer anything about him.

That was a very good analysis and we appreciate your input....BUT, you may not understand the Buffalo Bills' draft strategy: we will pass on Luck and Locker and our scouting staff will take a 6'1" OLB from Polishina College who tore both ACL's but has a great motor....he'll be ready to go by Game 6 of the 2012 season.

That was a very good analysis and we appreciate your input....BUT, you may not understand the Buffalo Bills' draft strategy: we will pass on Luck and Locker and our scouting staff will take a 6'1" OLB from Polishina College who tore both ACL's but has a great motor....he'll be ready to go by Game 6 of the 2012 season.

:rolleyes:

Prolly went to Maryvale... the next Mike Mamula.

:worthy:

I would worry about Locker because his team isn't winning. I just think he could be a Ryan Leaf kind of guy. I would like to see him be able to lead his team to victory. Now, if the Bills select him in the second round, maybe. On the other hand, the Bills need to get the best quarterback that they can. Luck looked really good in the game against Oregon, but here again, I don't know, it's the scouts jobs to know. I just would like them to bring in someone with a winning attitude, and I don't know how they do that with someone who doesn't win.

Why is anyone bothering to compare one college QB that's staying at Stanford next season to finish his degree, to one who tries to win games with his feet and is - at best - a late 2nd/ early 3rd round draft pick?

(Or does this have nothing to do with whom the Bills should draft, and you're just comparing the 2 QBs for the hell of it?)

Edited by The Senator

I would worry about Locker because his team isn't winning. I just think he could be a Ryan Leaf kind of guy. I would like to see him be able to lead his team to victory.

Quick note: JaMarcus Russell went 21-4 in college as a starter.

Just an FYI on Ryan Leaf:

He won a state high school championship. He went to Washington State, where he started 24 games (16-8 record.) His junior year, the team went 10-2, and Leaf threw for an average of 330 yds per game, a then-PAC 10 record 33 TD passes, and ended WSU's 67-year Rose Bowl drought by winning the PAC 10 title for the first time in school history. In Pasadena, they lost by 5 points to national champion Michigan. Leaf finished third in the Heisman voting behind Charles Woodson and Peyton Manning, and was a 1st-team All America.

We all know how Leaf turned out. He was immature and volatile. But to say he wasn't a "winner" at the time he was drafted couldn't be more wrong.

Now, if the Bills select him in the second round, maybe.

Either you haven't seen Locker play, or you haven't ever paid attention to an NFL draft. The kid is a 1st round pick, easy. Especially after he gets to the combine and the scouts get an up close look at his 6'-3" frame and cannon arm. NFL teams have slobbered over QB's with much less, just because of their combine workouts. At least Locker has a body of work on the field.

Edited by LongLiveRalph

Why is anyone bothering to compare one college QB that's staying at Stanford next season to finish his degree, to one who tries to win games with his feet and is - at best - a late 2nd/ early 3rd round draft pick?

(Or does this have nothing to do with whom the Bills should draft, and you're just comparing the 2 QBs for the hell of it?)

As usual Senator- you are clueless.

Sorry to the original poster for this nonsense.

Jake Locker IS a lock first round pick. The Senators statement that he is a late 2nd early 3rd unfortunately shows the ignorance about prospects that permeate this board.

For me, all these QB prospects are both talented and have their limitations. I want the guy that will be the field general, the leader. If we get the guy from the Luck/Locker/Mallett/other group that is the best LEADER, we'll have made a great choice. Here's hoping Buddy and Co can identify those leaderership qualities in these guys (i.e. hopefulyl they'll get lucky!).

Why is anyone bothering to compare one college QB that's staying at Stanford next season to finish his degree...

I'm definitely pro-education, but giving up at least $50 million guaranteed (i.e. more than what Bradford got from the Rams) would be a bonehead move for someone who could otherwise stay in school and suffer a career-ending injury on his very first play. If he's the consensus #1 pick in the 2011 NFL, he would have little reason to stay in school. He would be risking millions.

its not even close. they are not even on the same planet in terms of their development and who is better and more NFL ready.

Luck is an absolute animal who like all the NFL GM's have been saying for a while now is the best QB prospect to come out in 10 years.

its not even close. they are not even on the same planet in terms of their development and who is better and more NFL ready.

Luck is an absolute animal who like all the NFL GM's have been saying for a while now is the best QB prospect to come out in 10 years.

What NFL gm has said that?

I would worry about Locker because his team isn't winning. I just think he could be a Ryan Leaf kind of guy. I would like to see him be able to lead his team to victory. Now, if the Bills select him in the second round, maybe. On the other hand, the Bills need to get the best quarterback that they can. Luck looked really good in the game against Oregon, but here again, I don't know, it's the scouts jobs to know. I just would like them to bring in someone with a winning attitude, and I don't know how they do that with someone who doesn't win.

Locker has had some amazing 4th quarter drives that have lead the Huskies to victory. Specifically you would probably remember USC last year and USC this year. To put in perspective how good the team is around him, when he got injured in 2008, UW went 0-12, getting completely blown out in almost every single game. UW probably would have won 4 or 5 games that year if he had stayed healthy. When you have a defense that ranks in the bottom 10% of college football, and an offensive line that can't block long enough for 15 yard plays to develop, it would be hard for any QB to lead that team to a winning record.

People are way too hard on Locker. UW has had nothing but crap surrounding since he has been there. He is the only legit NFL player on their offense and has to win games by himself. Luck is definitely the more polished QB but you can't argue with the unique skill set Locker has. He is definitely the higher risk pick but his upside is throw the roof.

and any comparison between Locker and Losman is flat out dumb. Losman transfered from the Pac 10 to one of the worst D-1 conferences. Losman also played with NFL drafted receiver (Rondyell Williams) and a NFL drafted rb (Mewelde Moore). Locker has played with nobody.

Either you haven't seen Locker play, or you haven't ever paid attention to an NFL draft. The kid is a 1st round pick, easy. Especially after he gets to the combine and the scouts get an up close look at his 6'-3" frame and cannon arm. NFL teams have slobbered over QB's with much less, just because of their combine workouts. At least Locker has a body of work on the field.

Agreed...Even though I don't believe Locker is 1st Pick Overall-type material he's clearly a 1st round Prospect. If only because he's a QB and nothing more...He's got a lot of work to do...But he's got a lot of upside too...

And did I mention he's a QB... B-)