(OT) Anchor Bar, Buffalo special on Food Network.

PIZ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just at Anchor bar three weeks ago. Fantastic wings served on a pizza platter, very crispy, not served in lake of sauce.

My favorite wing recipe: Deepfry until crispy, usually 10-12 minutes. Put Anchor bar of Buffalo's Famous Wing Sauce, splashes of tabascoe and melted margarine in a bowl. Add wings to coat, immediately throw wings onto a hot, greased (olive oil will do) grill. Flash grill both sides quickly on the hot grills. Holy moses they're good!

Thanks guys! As per always, kudos go to Mark Weeks my "co-chef-in-arms".

At the tailgate, Mark does most of the cooking. At Bills Central, we split the chore.

I also want to add my recent disapointment with Duff's - they seem to be overcooking their wings something fierce making them too chewy. Wings should be crispy AND juicy (tender) such that the meat strips right off the the bones. I understand there has been a management change in the past year or so - it could be they are cutting corners somewhere.

What this means for me and my wife (RevNJoisy) is that we will be trying other establishments in the future for wings.

As we say at Bills Central...."Is it Sunday yet?"

-Rich

Pres , CNJBBB

I've never been to the Anchor Bar yet, but my favorite wings are currently from Duffs.  Mmmm...  I never had french fries with wings before, but it works (especially dipping the fries in hot sauce too).  Tasty.

Thanks a lot for making me want wings again, and I have no idea when I'm getting back to WNY :)

CW

150424[/snapback]

In my mom's restaraunt in Olean she used to make "Irish Wings". She'd take wedge cut fries and after frying them toss them in the wing sauce just like her wings. They are out of this world. Especially when they are nice and crispy. She tried to sell them in the new place she bought in Florida but the people down there don't warm to Buffalo cooking all that well. :)

La Nova has the best wings.  Anchor bar are good.  Duffs are okay, but I like them crisper.  If you want them crispy from Duffs, you have to ask for them that way.

150640[/snapback]

I thought I read here that La Nova closed shop?

CW

I thought I read here that La Nova closed shop?

CW

150650[/snapback]

Thay had a fire, but they have two shops I believe and are rebuilding the one that had a fire. Last I heard anyhow.

That would suck if they closed up, they are by far the best wings around.

Thay had a fire, but they have two shops I believe and are rebuilding the one that had a fire.  Last I heard anyhow. 

That would suck if they closed up, they are by far the best wings around.

I thought i read 4-5 months ago that the owners closed shop and moved to Florida or something. Might've been a rumor.

CW

Duff's and LaNova both beat out the Achor Bar, as do a number of other neighborhood joints throught WNY. For example -- the Swannie House on Michigan (??), down by the industrial waterfront ,has spectracular wings.

So hard to find good wings outside Buffalo. But here in DC, I've found a spot -- the Big Hunt bar on Connecticut Av. Big, meaty wings in a tasy yet hot sauce. And on Tuesdays, they're 15 cents each. I'm going tonight.

Wings outside the area aren't that bad if you can find a place that cooks them properly and has a decent sauce.  There's a couple places in Baltimore that have pretty decent sauce and cook their wings the right way.

As for the Anchor Bar, I do like their wings a lot.  Duff's too.

150498[/snapback]

Outside of Buffalo... I like to get my wings from Little Caesars. Three dollars a dozen and the wings are large with pretty good sauce.

I got the Anchor bar sauce at Costco the last time I was there ! What a treat that is !

150520[/snapback]

Did'nt realize you could get it in California. I'll check Costco next time im there. Thanks for the heads up.