Akin Ayodele

Antonio Coleman

Andra Davis

Chris Ellis

Keith Ellison

Aaron Maybin

Arthur Moats

Reggie Torbor

I mean, there is just not much there. Do you want to extend Keith Ellison instead?

It is just not realistic to replace all of these players in one offseason.

Kelsay isn't very good, but neither is anyone else. You just have to keep some mediocre players around while the team goes through the process of rebuilding.

It's not like the Bills are going to run out of cap space. This has no bearing on free agency or the draft. There are bigger areas of need on this team, and Kelsay is just a band-aid for a few years while more important issues are addressed.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it makes sense to overpay an aging, clumsy, slow, defensive end to play linebacker for a four year deal, because it is impossible to conceive that the Bills might be able to replace him. In four years.

Four years.

I feel a little better now about the rude post you felt like putting in my thread, to see that you are actually just a total idiot.

Edited by wardigital

Yes, it makes sense to overpay an aging, clumsy, slow, defensive end to play linebacker for a four year deal, because it is impossible to conceive that the Bills might be able to replace him. In four years.

Four years.

I feel a little better now about the rude post you felt like putting in my thread, to see that you are actually just a total idiot.

Name calling - very mature.

I am sensing the OP might have some affiliation with the FO, because this is the one thing on TBD everyone seems to agree with (that Kelsay sucks)....except the OP. And the OP has made MULTIPLE threads about it.

Furthermore, the OP's premise is flawed. If everyone sucks, you don't extend ANYBODY. Especially if you're giving moeny away that could be spent on a talented free agent.

Plus, this move doesn't make any sense. Kelsay is not good. He wasn't good as a DE and he's WORSE as an OLB. He is horrible in coverage and opposing offenses find it easy to create a mismatch. The point of this game is to limit mismatches, not extend them for 4 years AND overpay them in the process.

I am sensing the OP might have some affiliation with the FO, because this is the one thing on TBD everyone seems to agree with (that Kelsay sucks)....except the OP. And the OP has made MULTIPLE threads about it.

Furthermore, the OP's premise is flawed. If everyone sucks, you don't extend ANYBODY. Especially if you're giving moeny away that could be spent on a talented free agent.

Plus, this move doesn't make any sense. Kelsay is not good. He wasn't good as a DE and he's WORSE as an OLB. He is horrible in coverage and opposing offenses find it easy to create a mismatch. The point of this game is to limit mismatches, not extend them for 4 years AND overpay them in the process.

Quoted for truth, especially the bolded part. Although I tend to suspect the same. He's made it his personal crusade to defend Kelsay. He's either a relative, works for the Bills, is Chris Kelsay himself, or incredibly naive about what Kelsay brings to the field. I have little doubt that if you took Kelsay off the field, and put in Torbor, or Chris Ellis they could do exactly what Kelsay has achieved in this defense. In the case of Ellis probably more, as he has better range, and is faster, with room to improve. Kelsay is not gonna get better in this defense. For 8 years Kelsay supporters have used the term "realize his potential", and he's yet to due so.

This is the same guy who frequently bit inside on end arounds. Seriously watch him I've never seen a dend/olb bite so many times on end arounds. He's not nearly quick enough to be a pass rusher. Even if he has quality closing speed, his inital quickness is some of the worst I've seen out of a starting end. He's a liability in coverage, and sure as hell isn't gonna get any faster. He's 30 years old his potential has been realized. He has never, was never, and will never be an above average player in this league. Guys like Kelsay are a dime a dozen. The league is littered with lumbering lead footed players. Most of them don't suck the money out of a franchise, like Kelsay has done to the Bills. The sooner this guy is replaced the better off we'll be as a football team.

P.S Keith Ellison is a better lb than Chris Kelsay. He's quicker, and much better in coverage. Infact Keith Ellison is our best coverage lb. Which isn't saying a lot, but if the choice was to extend Ellison or Kelsay, the logical football choice would've been Ellison as it relates to coverage ability of our olb's in the 3-4. Also Andra Davis is a guy you keep. He has the most 3-4 experience of any of our lb's, and is the best run defender of the bunch. Different position playing inside than out, but he's a natural albeit aging 2 down run defender at ilb.

Edited by Stealth

Can't the OP think of another subject to post about besides this nonsense?

Face it, Kelsay didn't deserve the previous extension the Bills handed to him for basically doing nothing.

He's a non-entity on the field. A void. You might as well just play with 10 guys and throw a shovelful of manure down where Kelsay lines up. At least there's a chance an opposing RB or WR might slip in it.

Four years.

it is possible to dissagree with someone without resorting to name calling - really it is.

also it will always take away from one's point of view because it makes that person look just silly.

finally, the contract may be for four years - but this is the nfl and players can be cut at anytime - and i am sure we will cut him as soon as we get better olb players in here - which is not our most pressing need, or 2nd most pressing need, or 3rd most pressing need.

and for the record i was in hopes of he and ellison both gone next year - not a fan of either of them

This makes sense?

How so?

We could have let his contract expire and re-signed him for a lot less.

Or we could wait to see what FA LB's are out there for 2011(if there is no lockout) and throw that money at them.

I do not understand this move at all.

Look at the Bills linebackers. You have Poz. You have Kelsay. Then you have:

Akin Ayodele

Antonio Coleman

Andra Davis

Chris Ellis

Keith Ellison

Aaron Maybin

Arthur Moats

Reggie Torbor

I mean, there is just not much there. Do you want to extend Keith Ellison instead?

It is just not realistic to replace all of these players in one offseason.

Kelsay isn't very good, but neither is anyone else. You just have to keep some mediocre players around while the team goes through the process of rebuilding.

It's not like the Bills are going to run out of cap space. This has no bearing on free agency or the draft. There are bigger areas of need on this team, and Kelsay is just a band-aid for a few years while more important issues are addressed.

Those guys arent all FAs this year. no need to replace them all.

And what sense does it make to overpay a very mediocre player ? embarrassing

Can't the OP think of another subject to post about besides this nonsense?

Face it, Kelsay didn't deserve the previous extension the Bills handed to him for basically doing nothing.

He's a non-entity on the field. A void. You might as well just play with 10 guys and throw a shovelful of manure down where Kelsay lines up. At least there's a chance an opposing RB or WR might slip in it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeez, I happen to like Kelsay - I think you guys just need something to whine about, perpetually. So he's overpaid - what pro athlete isn't? Apparently Gailey & staff think enough of his progress in making the switch from DE to OLB, along with his attitude and work ethic, to extend him - they're a little closer to the situation and probably know a little more about it than any of us. Guy's 30 years old, wants to retire as a Buffalo Bill, and likely won't play out the full 4 years anyway.

Let's rag on nothing but former Bills this week - and the New Jersey Jets...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

Is anybody here old enough to remember the prehistoric days when Bills perennially had among the best LB corps in the league?

Apparently not, judging by the twists used to justify the Kelsay extension.

Are you saying that Kelsay is worth that much more than Keith Bulluck's $2.5 million, or Jason Taylor's $3.5 mil (if he hits all incentives)?

In some respects, I do agree with the OP. Earlier this month I talked about possibly trading Evans for a pick (still not a bad idea for a high pick) and got trashed with the excuse that it creates another hole to fill, we have plenty of them to fill, why so we can draft another WR - should use the draft pick for another area of need, etc.

Not extending Kelsay, who is average at best, creates another hole that will have to be filled. We need more than one LB, we need DE and DT help, OL help, QB help etc...so we extended Kelsay for 4 years, we are in good cap shape and this doesn't set us back at all. It buys us what 4 years to find a replacement while we fill the other holes we have...If we find a replacement for him sooner, he can be a backup or get released (and not screw us over in much dead cap money)...In the mean time, he is a good locker room guy who is respected by his peers - why replace him with a Cornell Green???? If we signed or drafted the next TKO or Patrick Willis or whatever, then you put him in one of 4 spots and play your next best 3 LBs as starters and the rest are backups...We really have much more to worry about than us extending Kelsay for 4 years...