UT Shooting

LeviF

Thank God. I will raise the issue though, this does not happen in Canada due to a ban on automatic weapons. Sure we have gang shootings, but that's trash shooting trash, not innocent people. Just food for thought and I will sit back and take the expected abuse.

Thank God. I will raise the issue though, this does not happen in Canada due to a ban on automatic weapons. Sure we have gang shootings, but that's trash shooting trash, not innocent people. Just food for thought and I will sit back and take the expected abuse.

Yeah, this stuff never happens in Canada. <_<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College_shooting

That story makes me thing this guy had no intention of killing anyone. He just wanted to make a scene. So I guess that'a plus. I miss the days where suicidal fools like this actually had the balls to just off themselves and not have to take people with them. If he really had no intentions of killing anyone, I'm not sure where he ranks on that list.

Well it does seem like it does in the USA.

I don't know that I agree with that - although the media may like to portray that.

Also consider that the US has nearly 10x as many people as Canada -- more people = more chances of crazy people doing crazy stuff.

Before I clicked in here, I went straight to CNN, and didn't see a headline, so I thought this thread was going to be about this:

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 – August 1, 1966) was a student at the University of Texas at Austin and an ex-Marine who killed 14 people and wounded 32 others during a shooting rampage on and around the university's campus on August 1, 1966

Updates per CNN:

Turns out the gunner had an AK-47

Campus police are still looking for a second suspect and possible explosives

One witness who has spoken said that he saw shots fired into the ground

The Montreal massacre prompted the ban on automatic firearms. While I agree with 10 x more people = more incidents, I would submit that gun regulation in some form contributes to the number of incidents.

Never should read RARELY.

I suspect that the cultural differences between the US and Canada contribute to more US shootings than gun laws.

I am working on campus, only about two blocks from where the shooting took place...weird day. First we were told we were to leave early, then not, now we are again...I am sitting in the dark, waiting to get a call saying I can leave...all buildings are on "lockdown", as they are searching for another possibel armed suspect.

I am working on campus, only about two blocks from where the shooting took place...weird day. First we were told we were to leave early, then not, now we are again...I am sitting in the dark, waiting to get a call saying I can leave...all buildings are on "lockdown", as they are searching for another possibel armed suspect.

Stay safe, man!!:huh: