Why Trent was Benched and Released

NaPolian8693

The real reason the Edwards situation ended like this was because there was a big locker room issue. The team lost all confidence in him after he refused to throw the hail mary attempt at the end of the first game, and several players went to the coaching staff. The pressure on the coaching staff mounted until he was finally benched. He did not take it very well, and the whole situation was dangerously close to having a Whitner-type tweet about it and it becoming a circus. This is what I heard through a pretty reliable source.

Chan and Buddy are not totally clueless. They liked this guy and wanted to give him a chance, and it's not like in two weeks they magically realized what all the fans have known for quite some time. They were handcuffed in this situation, and I say good for the players for stepping up and trying to create a winning mentality.

The real reason Trent Edwards was benched and released is BECAUSE HE SUCKS!!!! The players knew it and so did most of the fans that weren't on some serious meds. It's just a shame that it even took the coaching staff that long to realize it. I don't want to discount your mysterious inside knowledge but if the coaches hands were "forced" in this and they didn't make the decision freely on their own then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I not only agree this is completely plausible, it's likely to be dead on. Evans spoke of the lack of understanding and confidence in Trent, albeit in a diplomatic manner.

Currently listening to WGR (for the Bills presser).....

I don't buy it. Trent has never gone around tweeting about his greatness in the media.

If the coaching staff is that worried about "losing the lockerroom" after two games and they can't decide for themselves that running out of bounds on 4th down rather than chucking the ball is sub-optimal performance, then they should already be filling out their unemployment paperwork, because it will be coming soon.

Not that we haven't known this but these two actions show his complete lack of situational awareness. You can't teach that. I, for one, once thought Trent had a chance to be decent but without this this segment of the "it" factor, he's no better than some Joe throwing a football in the lot during tailgate.

He wasn't spectacular when he came on the scene, but a lot of us talked about how he had this. He lost that 3 weeks after the Adrian Wilson hit-turned-into-concussion. I think this is what led to the lack of situational awareness. He also got gun shy, so he was quick to dump the ball off if the first receiver wasn't open enough.

Lee Evans was vocal about keeping Losman in the games and never developed anything with Edwards...and that was during 2008. Lee knew then what we all know now and perhaps it finally came to a head after Week 1.

I not only agree this is completely plausible, it's likely to be dead on. Evans spoke of the lack of understanding and confidence in Trent, albeit in a diplomatic manner.

Currently listening to WGR (for the Bills presser).....

Too bad I live out of the area...I'd love to listen to it...

I don't buy it. Trent has never gone around tweeting about his greatness in the media.

If the coaching staff is that worried about "losing the lockerroom" after two games and they can't decide for themselves that running out of bounds on 4th down rather than chucking the ball is sub-optimal performance, then they should already be filling out their unemployment paperwork, because it will be coming soon.

The decision was not made solely on any one factor, but any coach worth his salt, realizes that the supposed leader on the field, must command respect from his team mates, as well as elevate their play through his own leadership.

Trent had lost any belief in him, both from his fellow players, and the fans that pay the bills.

Wow that's a tremendously flawed argument...Pay the guy cause we don't have anyone else worth a darn and he's a nice guy...I'm sure that's how Parcells would do it... :doh:

Look...I think Kelsay is most definitely a good guy, citizen, etc...But how about we pay big money to someone who is actually good...And if we don't have anyone who is actually good how about we go out and get a few guys in the Draft or Free Agency? We'll use that money we're gonna save on Kelsay...Sorry but re-signing Kelsay will be further proof to me this Organization is broken and there is no sign of a fix in the near future... B-)

The decision was not made solely on any one factor, but any coach worth his salt, realizes that the supposed leader on the field, must command respect from his team mates, as well as elevate their play through his own leadership.

Trent had lost any belief in him, both from his fellow players, and the fans that pay the bills.

I know Edwards lost the confidence of his teammates and coaches. That was almost 1 year ago. Jauron was fired and Fewell nailed his ass to the bench. That was not a coincidence.

Either way you slice this it looks bad on the coaches. Either they were completely ignorant that no one believed in Trent or they thought they could spray the situation with magic pixie dust and fix it.

I think that they conned themselves. They saw the good things Trent could do physically, overrated their own ability to transform him into a winner, and just woke up late to the realization that they made a big mistake. And, sure, some players may not have given Trent much support -- they didn't last year when asked either.

short term- it became painfully obvious that Trent is horrible. refused to throw downfield. when he lost lee evans support it was over.

mid term - having trent around is a MAJOR distraction.

long term- give the limited practice reps to a player like Levi Brown or bring in another QB who has upside.

I know Edwards lost the confidence of his teammates and coaches. That was almost 1 year ago. Jauron was fired and Fewell nailed his ass to the bench. That was not a coincidence.

Either way you slice this it looks bad on the coaches. Either they were completely ignorant that no one believed in Trent or they thought they could spray the situation with magic pixie dust and fix it.

I think that they conned themselves. They saw the good things Trent could do physically, overrated their own ability to transform him into a winner, and just woke up late to the realization that they made a big mistake. And, sure, some players may not have given Trent much support -- they didn't last year when asked either.

Can't argue with that.............

The real reason the Edwards situation ended like this was because there was a big locker room issue. The team lost all confidence in him after he refused to throw the hail mary attempt at the end of the first game, and several players went to the coaching staff. The pressure on the coaching staff mounted until he was finally benched. He did not take it very well, and the whole situation was dangerously close to having a Whitner-type tweet about it and it becoming a circus. This is what I heard through a pretty reliable source.

Chan and Buddy are not totally clueless. They liked this guy and wanted to give him a chance, and it's not like in two weeks they magically realized what all the fans have known for quite some time. They were handcuffed in this situation, and I say good for the players for stepping up and trying to create a winning mentality.

Trent Edwards, like Rob Johnson and J.P. Loseman looked great in shorts and a t-shirt.. They were great athletic specimens, however in pads and a game situation they all took too damn long to find a reciever.. Fitz might not be as fast or as strong but he reads defences faster and gets rid of the ball... Nobody will ever confuse him with Dan Marino but after yesterday we all have to agree he is a better fit than Trent...

He was released for two reasons. One, he just flat out sucks beyond words. Two, it ties into number one. No way Ralph Wilson was going to pay Edwards $1.6 million for the rest of this season to hold a clipboard. He gets released, they bring back Levi Brown and Ralph pays the backup and the 3rd QB league minimum. He saves a million bucks by releasing Edwards. They aren't going anywhere this year. Only thing they are doing is fighting for the 1st pick in the 2011 draft. What's the difference if Brohm or Brown has to play? No difference at all. Why waste a million bucks?

The players wanted to give the new coaches and management the benefit of the doubt, and also give Trent the benefit of the doubt. His gutless actions were so alarming that the players were ready to mutiny. Gailey was going to risk losing the team if he stayed with Trent.

This seems plausible to me....after those two plays whee Edwards ran straight backwards trying to avoid defenders and took huge losses......then the end of the last game he played....

These coaches are idiots, and starting to make jauron look brilliant. They had the entire off season and 3 years of game tape to evaluate and then cut him after two games. I count the days till this set of boneheads is fired...does it never end

The real reason Trent Edwards was benched and released is BECAUSE HE SUCKS!!!! The players knew it and so did most of the fans that weren't on some serious meds. It's just a shame that it even took the coaching staff that long to realize it. I don't want to discount your mysterious inside knowledge but if the coaches hands were "forced" in this and they didn't make the decision freely on their own then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

It took them 2 games to realize that. Didn't take that long. I wasn't sure you knew that we had a new coaching staff. :wallbash:

Edited by DreReed83

These coaches are idiots, and starting to make jauron look brilliant. They had the entire off season and 3 years of game tape to evaluate and then cut him after two games. I count the days till this set of boneheads is fired...does it never end

Wow! Yeah, this is getting ridiculously stupid. I can't believe our coaching staff is so out of the loop couldn't figure this out. If this is the case. We won't do anything ANYTHING until we get a new owner who wants to build a championship and stop going "Good Ol' Boys" on us fans.

Amen ... I believe this says it all.

He was released for two reasons. One, he just flat out sucks beyond words. Two, it ties into number one. No way Ralph Wilson was going to pay Edwards $1.6 million for the rest of this season to hold a clipboard. He gets released, they bring back Levi Brown and Ralph pays the backup and the 3rd QB league minimum. He saves a million bucks by releasing Edwards. They aren't going anywhere this year. Only thing they are doing is fighting for the 1st pick in the 2011 draft. What's the difference if Brohm or Brown has to play? No difference at all. Why waste a million bucks?

Wrong....

Trent's Salary is 500K of which he will see every penny of it he was on roster at the start of the season as is a Veteran... I always love the "Ralph is Cheap"

Trent